Forums Latest Members
  1. Kim Coxon Apr 6, 2015

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and joined mainly because I'm trying to find some more information on the watch my Father gave me about 20 years ago.

It was his watch and for many years it was the one he always wore daily. I don't know but I believe it first got it in the 50's once he became established as a Civil Engineer. He passed it onto to me as I say about 20 years ago. Sadly he passed away a few months ago after suffering dementia for several years so I can no longer ask him about it.

The strap was replaced some time ago and the one before that was not an Omega one.

As you can see the it does show it's age. The watch does have a good deal of sentimental value to me and so I'm not interested in selling it. However, I would like some advice. Firstly is it better to leave it as it is now or perhaps better to try and get it restored cleaned.

It does keep good time. It generally loses about 3 seconds a day. Rarely more or less. I do believe the watch is original but as the strap is not, is it worth trying to find an original buckle to match and if so where would be a good place to start looking either for a restoration, a service or the buckle?

I have only taken pics of the outside of the watch. I don't want to try to take the back off in case I do any damage but if it helps I could try to get it to a watch repairer To do it and then get some pics.

Many thanks,
    Kim

2. lillatroll Apr 6, 2015

If it had belonged to my dad I would leave it just the way it is. If it has not been serviced since you had it then get a service done as it could probably do with one. If you want a nicer/cleaner looking one I am sure there are pleanty of people on here who could point you in the right direction. Be warned though, hanging about here soon leads to purchases you had not thought about making.

3. Drawarms Apr 6, 2015

Take it to a watch repair shop, pop off the back, take pics for your records and give that thing a service- Thats it! Looks great mate.

As to the strap, leather deteriorates as it gets older so putting it on a new strap won't ruin the value. Just keep the watch all original and you will be fine.

diodim likes this.
  4. Kim Coxon Apr 6, 2015

I was thinking a bit more about it's history. My Father must have given it to me around 1974 to 1976. Because it became my everyday watch and I had it when I joined the RAF. It stayed as my "main (only) watch until I started my pilot training and was issued with a service watch. From then until I retired my service watch became the everyday one. The last one being a CWC one with the lid so the user can easily replace the battery.

Really the only thing which "annoys" me about the watch are the stains on the front. Are these likely to be permanent or would they be able to be cleaned?

5. Drawarms Apr 6, 2015

They could be cleaned, however it will, in my opinion, destroy the value of the watch. A patina like that gives the watch character. Also, don't give it a polish!

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  6. ChrisN Apr 6, 2015

If this does upset you and you are in UK, then you could try here as they sometimes do strip off the old varnish. Here's an example:
    http://watchguy.co.uk/service-allaine-felsa-1560/#more-9015

I suspect this is hit and miss and they are braver guys than me. Virtually no-one here is going to recommend cleaning that dial. I think one of them is on here @Mitka ?

Good luck whichever way you choose to go but, do get it serviced. Chris

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 6, 2015

By looking at the dial and the case I guess it is a Seamaster 2577 powered by a non chronometer 354.
    Anyways have it serviced and leave everything the way they are.

8. John R Smith Apr 6, 2015

Hoi beat me to it. And let me echo his advice - do not try to clean the dial.

9. Kim Coxon Apr 6, 2015

Many thanks for all the help so far. I will get it serviced when I find the right place to do it but then leave well enough alone.

Having searched for Seamaster 2577, I get the feeling it might be slightly older than I thought. Is there a good place I can check the date on it if I get the serial number when I get it serviced. I was born in '53 and I wonder now if that is the reason Dad gave it to me rather than one of my brothers.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 6, 2015

the crystal looks cracked, I'd replace that.

11. Lukeeesteve Apr 6, 2015

I'm with drawarms on this. Every stain/the patina that formed over the years tells a story of the conditions and environments that your watch went through. To me it's like a fingerprint that's unique and desirable.

12. John R Smith Apr 7, 2015

As it is likely to be a case reference 2577 with a 'bumper' movement (cal 354) then a date of 1953 or '54 would fit. For 1953 the serial number on the movement will be in the (late) 13,xxx,xxx series. For 1954 it will be 14,xxx,xxx. That is the production date for the movement, however, not necessarily for the complete watch. And of course the date of sale can be much later again.

Edited Apr 7, 2015