Forums Latest Members
  1. Marx34 Aug 2, 2014

image.jpg View attachment 68251 View attachment 68251 image.jpg Hi all I am new on here but not new to omega as I purchased my omega seamaster pro diver around 8 years ago. I have worn it pretty much every day since I bought it as I don't believe these things should be hidden in a drawer but the downside is it's starting to look its age :( I was wondering if I was to send it to an omega service centre would it bring it back to near new condition without having to spend a small fortune on new parts ? does anybody know a good service centre in the uk ?

2. NT931 Aug 2, 2014

whoops this is mistakenly in the Zenith forum, mods could you move it to the Omega modern forum perhaps? Thanks!

Redwheelbarrow likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 2, 2014

The official Omega service centre for the UK, is STS in Essex. At 8 years old, the watch is well overdue a full service which involves a complete strip-down and re-build with any worn parts being replaced. Hopefully, no damage has yet been done to the movement. They will also (probably) replace the crown, pushers and possibly the HEV, because if the seals haven't already gone, they could do very soon. They will also re-finish the case and bracelet and test it for water resistance. I don't know what they will charge but I would anticipate somewhere around £400 - £500.

There are a couple of alternative options and those are to take it to an Omega certified watchmaker, who would do exactly the same work or to take it to another watchmaker and for you to specify exactly what you want him to do.

4. Marx34 Aug 3, 2014

Thanks for your help stewart. I have boxed it up and my wife is posting it off to swiss time services tomorrow, I hope it's ok however I am willing to pay whatever it takes to receive it back in almost perfect condition as I love the watch.

Many thanks.
    Mark.

5. Marx34 Oct 9, 2014

6. Marx34 Oct 9, 2014

Back from swiss time services looking as good as new with brand new bezel. They have done a great job

Mothra likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 9, 2014

Glad to hear that !!!! Money well spent.....enjoy !

8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 9, 2014

How much was the service including new bezel Marx? They have done a cracking job by the way.

9. Marx34 Oct 9, 2014

it was very pricey but worth it as I love the watch it cost £834 in total. The new bezel was £295 on its own but it looks brand new again :)

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 9, 2014

Your old bezel is not too shabby, but certainly the new one is wayyyy shinier.

11. Marx34 Oct 9, 2014

It's a lot of money but these watches last forever and I haven't looked after it as I should, I have knocked down walls and plastered rooms while wearing it and it's never missed a beat. I've just bought a planet ocean big size while this one was in for repair and as much as I love it I bet it wouldn't take as much stick as the smp

12. msp1518 Oct 9, 2014

Oh yeah... Now it looks brand new. Sweeeeeet. :cool:

13. DocHolliday Oct 10, 2014

Let's all admit we like shiny things.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2014

The bezels are a right bugger to refinish. I can usually improve the look quite a bit, but there's nothing like a new one.

15. Marx34 Oct 10, 2014

Do you do your own refurb work archer ? Yes the problem with the smp is its a painted alloy bezel I think so they scratch very easy whereas the bezel on my po is ceramic and I believe very scratch resistant ?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2014

I rarely do my own work, because I don't have time - too busy fixing other people's watches! ;)

Yes I am a watchmaker, so I service these models quite often.

There is nothing you can do with the inserts unfortunately, so when I speak of refinishing the bezels, it's the steel portion I work on. It's too bad that Omega does not sell just the inserts anymore. The bezels are expensive as your job shows - that price shocked me a bit. They are putting a pretty fair mark up on that bezel based on what I pay for them here!

For refinishing these, I hand finish the scallops to remove as many scratches as possible:

[​IMG]

Then I chuck the bezel up in the lathe using a bezel chuck (holds from the inside of the bezel) and then I can touch up the face of the steel portion, and the very outside diameter:

[​IMG]

It makes an improvement no doubt, but they never look new.

Cheers, Al

17. Marx34 Oct 10, 2014

Thanks Al. Im envious. You have a good job there would like to learn how to service and refurb watches but always too busy either at work or working on my house at weekends. Is it a difficult trade to learn ? The picture didn't pick it up very well on my old bezel, one of the pointed corners was flattened and it was quite noticeable. I will definitely take more care of it now it back to almost new condition.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2014

Is it difficult? I guess that depends on how mechanically oriented you are, how good your eyesight is, your manual dexterity, ability to trouble shoot, etc....watch school is typically 2 years to learn the basics.

As an engineer, I didn't find the technical/theory side to be very demanding...but sometimes I had to take what I was being told and rephrase it in my head like an engineer would hear it...

It's not something you decide to learn in a weekend, and a well equipped shop can be $100k without too much effort...

Cheers, Al

19. Marx34 Oct 11, 2014

Well it's definately something I'd like to learn, it's a good trade to be in when you love watches. I'm a truck mechanic by trade although I'm a garage manager these days and can usually pick trades up relatively quickly. Im always looking for new things to do but don't worry I won't go home and strip down my planet ocean just yet ha ha might need to do some reading first.