Forums Latest Members
  1. Seaward Mar 21, 2014

This is my first post. In 1973 I flew to Gibraltar, Spain to board a 60' sailboat to sail across the Atlantic. I went to a jewelry shop to see if I could find a chronograph watch with the hope that the captain might teach me celestial navigation along the way and the chronograph I would buy might be pretty accurate and compare well with the captain's computations.
    So this is the watch I bought, 40 years later. I think I remember the crystal breaking twice. The original crystal was soft and rounded. The crystal now is a sharped edge one.
    I wish to ask for recommendations about who and how to restore the watch including the crystal and band. The original band was black leather perforated with an Omega stainless clasp. I think I still have the clasp. Since the watch was waterproof to 120m I should have that spec restored. I don't have lots of money to accomplish this but want to do as much as I can.
    I wrote to the Watch Guy for a quote.... [email protected]...because he showed as his pride and joy, a cousin or brother to this watch, I think. There is also a local jeweler who is reputed to be very good A&A Jewelers in Dartmouth, MA.

OmegaMJS.JPG OmegaMJS2.jpg OmegaMJS1.jpg

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 21, 2014

Hi and welcome!
    Seaward, this thread location (sticky) is for questions about how to post and you did quite well for your first.
    May I recommend this be moved to the general vintage discussion area, you may get more views. The moderators can do this for you.

Regarding your beautiful watch, I have the exact same watch but with the white dial. They are quality pieces and have good value, $2-3k.

IMGP3708.JPG

Acting on a recommendation from a forum expert, I had mine totally overhauled with dismantling, cleaning, oiling, new crown and pushers (seals go bad with age and lose waterproof seal, Omega genuine crystal, some dings polished out of the case and tested to insure waterproof. After all, who would have a Seamaster that isn't waterproof?

This forum moderator, whom I have learned to greatly respect, recommended his watchmaker, a member here, Steve N2FHL. He is located in New Jersey and I couldn't be happier with his work. My watch looks like new and runs within 5 seconds per day. Al Archer is also highly respected here but he is a foreigner(joking) from Canada.
    I am not familiar with the names you mentioned, but there are some good watchmakers out there. The best are busy as hell, and a good service.
    isn't cheap but worth every penny.

Thanks for joining us!

3. Seaward Mar 21, 2014

What a kind welcome!
    I will connect with the gentlemen you suggest.
    To think what i put this watch through!
    Thanks again.