Forums Latest Members
  1. Gpiero Feb 24, 2013

I bought this Speedmaster LE Schumacher in Dubai in the late nineties. Last year, about a month after a service, water got into it and caused this in just over 24 hours :( Boo Hoo! image.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

Ouch =(

3. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2013

That picture gives me a disgusted feeling in my stomach, and I'm not even a Speedmaster guy. :(

4. Gpiero Feb 24, 2013

Was such a shame - a lovely watch...

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

Painful. You must be gutted. :(

6. speedbird Feb 24, 2013

That's toast. Sorry to see that happen to a Speedmaster.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 24, 2013

I have seen Al (archer) repaired a Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch in similar (or worse) condition into almost mint condition,
    I forgot the link though.

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

That thread is on WUS I think. The water damage on that one was from a more prolonged exposure to water if I remember correctly.

We need a "call Archer" sign, like the Bat-signal
    [​IMG]

Littleroger likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2013

Archer

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2013

dkpw, MMMD and Trev like this.
  11. TLIGuy Feb 24, 2013

That's just horrible. I have to ask though...Since it was just serviced prior to the water getting in the case was it not pressure tested after the service? Where the gaskets and seals replaced during the recent service?

12. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Feb 24, 2013

Eek, that doesn't look good! Hope you can get it sorted out

13. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 24, 2013

How did water get into the watch? Was the crown pulled out? If it failed water resistant that it was tested for I would contact the watch maker..

14. dkpw Feb 25, 2013

Thanks Al for that link to your Speedy restore article - sterling work if I may say so. I suppose in that situation and the OP's, a calculation needs to be made as to whether the cost of expensive repairs, parts and factoring in any sentimental value outweighs the purchase price of a replacement watch. Hopefully I wont have to ever make that evaluation.

The Speedy article naturally prompted me to spend a couple of enjoyable hours reading your other fascinating posts. I'm sure I'm like many other watch lovers on the forums, who really enjoy seeing professional repairs, "before and afters" - all accompanied by excellent macro shots. They serve to increase our knowledge as well as our appreciation of the wide range of skills involved in repairing our treasured belongings. I'm looking forward to the next article.

Cheers
    David

15. Gpiero Feb 25, 2013

Dear All,

I moved from the Middle East to Italy a few years back and took my watch to a "reputable" authorized dealer, here in Italy. We live on the coast so beach trips are part of life in the summertime. I don't really know what happened, but on closer inspection after the event, it seems as though there's a hairline crack in the crystal. Pressure tests etc... Should have brought this to light, but unfortunately either didn't or weren't performed correctly. Still, hindsight's great isn't it? This is the result unfortunately, and it would cost less to replace it then to get it fixed.

Archer, that's a great repair - thanks for posting. I recently bought an AquaTerra which has a greater water resistance, but I'm still worried about swimming in it. Daft really, but in light of what happened to my speedy, I'm a bit wary...

Take care all,

Gpiero.

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 25, 2013

That's the problem with 'collection' thing. Similar with me, I know my modern Seamasters rating is way better than my beater,a 2005 Zodiac quartz (300m vs 100m WR) but viewing it as collection make me really, really reluctant to use it as its intended tool purpose. Probably I will never use my Seamasters for swimming, diving etc.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2013

Glad you and others liked that one. That repair was a lot of work, and many parts, but in the end it was less than buying a new watch. Not necessarily less than buying a used watch though.

In terms of more articles, well time is the problem - working 7 days a week already, so not easy to find time to write those as they do take a bit of work.

Cheers, Al