Forums Latest Members
  1. paulwatch001 Mar 29, 2018

I have been looking for a reasonably priced, wearable Polerouter with a black dial.
    I took a chance on an eBay purchase and it arrived today.
    The listing had very average photos and limited information, but the watch looked honest. I love finding watches this way, it is part of the thrill for me. Often a risk but part of the fun. Also breathing new life into a sometimes unloved specimen that has tons of patina and stories to tell.
    Exactly how I found my C shaped Constellation. A bit of a diamond in the rough and I love it more because of it.
    Anyway these photos are exactly as the watch arrived today.
    The dial has uniform spotting and shows as a lovely starry speckling on normal viewing, and not zoomed in on a camera lens.
    The hands have even oxidisation and the lume matches that of the hour markers.
    The case is completely unpolished, really sharp. Unfortunately the top right lug has a nice ding. I had picked this up on the listing photographs.
    The crown is unfortunately a replacement.
    The crystal is original with symbol in the centre and trapezoid date magnifier. It is has loads of fine surface scratches that polywatch would sort and a tiny hairline crack at 9 o'clock. It is bloody filthy where the bezel meets the crystal.
    The case back is really hard to photograph. The logo is nice and clear but has a few dints, it looks much worse when zoomed in. Serial number present: 2106059 I make that 1960/61.
    Inside case back has a couple of very very light marks from the rotor.
    Movement looks really nice and has kept perfect time over the last 3 hours.

It is booked in for a service already and I will be dropping it in at the weekend. I was planning to put on a new plain crystal and keep the original safe and sound. Also to put on a plain crown as I don't fancy my chances of finding a UG one, unless somebody here can help. Should the case back have a gasket? No polishing to the case but a really good clean!

As always thoughts and advice appreciated.

IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0975.JPG Side 2.JPG Side 1.JPG Serial.JPG Case Back.JPG Inside Case.JPG Movement.JPG

jumpingsecond, gop76, viwa64 and 12 others like this.
  2. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 29, 2018

Looks like your skill was rewarded with good luck!

Very nice!

3. chronoboy64 Mar 30, 2018

Nice one, huge congrats !

4. 77deluxe Mar 30, 2018

Really nice.

5. rolokr Mar 30, 2018

Did you get a good price ?

6. paulwatch001 Mar 31, 2018

Thanks everyone, I’m really happy with it.

36 hours In and the watch has kept excellent time and a good power reserve.
    So I’m confident the movement is all good. Date changing nicely and quickset working too.

Hi rolokr, £850 was the final cost which I can live with.
    I have seen some very tired black dial Polerouters with filthy looking movements and polished cases go for way more.
    I’m a sucker for buying watches this way. Rather than paying several £100 more with glossy pictures and promises of recent services.......
    It’s the thrill of the find with a bit of risk. Great for training the eye in this hobby too!

I’m off to my watch maker this morning to drop it in for a service.
    I will get a pic of it on the timegrapher to see how it fairs before service.
    I can’t wait to see the dial with a nice clear crystal.

Does anyone know if it should have a case gasket? I’ve looked at loads of images and it’s a mixed bag. Maybe some are added as a quick fix from rotor rub?

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. paulwatch001 Mar 31, 2018

I have dropped the watch off to my watch maker.
    He was working on a 1940's JLC bumper that was just lovely! Great eye candy.

On inspection he is very happy with the movement in my watch and the great news, there is very little wear to the rotor post.
    Timegrapher readings show that the watch is working well with amplitude a little low.
    A good service, new crystal, plain crown and I am looking forward to putting the watch into regular rotation.
    Another rescued sole with a new loving home!

IMG_2290.JPG

jumpingsecond likes this.
  8. heccsat Mar 31, 2018

Nice one with a reasonable price. Enjoy!

9. Vanallard Mar 31, 2018

Nice find, congrats!

10. SeanO Apr 1, 2018

A new crystal?

don't throw the old one away. the unique to UG crystal is fairly hard to find.

otherwise NFW!! :thumbsup:

SpeedTar and 10H10 like this.
  11. SpeedTar Apr 1, 2018

Almost impossible to find with the correct trapezoid cyclop!!

12. paulwatch001 Apr 1, 2018

@SeanO
    Don’t worry I will be keeping the original crystal safe.
    I know how rare they are.
    I will be giving it a good dose of polywatch although it does have a tiny hairline crack at 9 o’clock. It may look better when cleaned up.
    I intend on wearing the watch regularly. A new plain crystal will be sure to make a nice tight seal, be scratch free and keep the original safe and sound.

I have a 1949 Tudor that has the original crystal. My watch maker had to swap this out when serviced as over the years it had become very slightly loose. Risk of dust and moisture getting into the watch. I’ve also kept this original crystal.
    All part of the watches originality.

I can’t wait to get this polerouter back!
    Thanks for your advise and comments.

13. paulwatch001 Apr 21, 2018

Just been and picked up my watch from my watchmaker.
    There was a nice Polerouter hiding under all that grime.
    Original crystal stored safely away. She is running like a dream and will be making frequent appearances in WRUW.

IMG_0566.JPG

63TR4 and gatorcpa like this.
  14. paulwatch001 Apr 21, 2018

And a better pic in natural light because I am so happy with it!!! :D

IMG_6047.JPG

Mouflet54, Nathan1967, 63TR4 and 2 others like this.