Forums Latest Members
  1. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 20, 2016

OK. I’m going to stretch myself with this post. Being relatively new to the watch world (and lazy), I am much more suited to posting smart-ass jokes and WRUW pics than I am to contributing any substantive watch content.

Perhaps I am emboldened by the fact that Ploprofs are (much) less discussed than Speedmasters or Constellations and also because I have had the help of great resources (these Forums, Jon Wallis’s book, etc.). That being said, I am sure I will make many mistakes (I usually need to edit my one-sentence posts 2-3 times!) and thus welcome and invite your feedback and guidance.

So, here goes…….

Let me start with a few pictures…..plus a little bit of bragging about the watches (proud Ploprof-father that I am)…..plus a little bit of bragging about my watchmaker and case-master extraordinaire, Adam @photo500 ……….and then some of the ridiculous mistakes I still make buying watches (promise not to list them all).

I will end with a mystery…..one I may not enjoy solving!

First, two beautiful vintage Ploprof 600s……

July 19 2016 202.jpg
    July 19 2016 201.jpg

As you can see, the first watch sports a magnificent mk1 dial, beautifully patina’d hand-set and amazing first variant bezel (B1). The correct (but not required) dial/bezel combo and are all original to the watch, I believe.

The second watch (and my first Ploprof) has an equally terrific mk2 dial, extraordinarily patina’d hand -set and a very attractively aged second variant bezel (B2). The dial and handset are original to the watch but the bezel was recently sourced from OF member @sulaco. It is the perfect complement to the dial and hands. Thanks again Rene!

From here it gets fun…or at least interesting. Let’s start with the cases.

Case condition…or lack thereof is my last great blind spot (I still have many, but this is my last GREAT one). I am trying to get better, and I am, but it is still very easy for me to get all lathered up over wonderful dials, hands and bezels and completely miss big flaws (read: polishing) in cases.

So, on to these specific cases. This time in reverse order. First, the mk2. The good case. To my currently unemotional eye……it is a great case. Honest wear to be sure, but limited polishing abuse over the years.

July 19 2016 150.JPG

The mk1 on the other hand is the epitome of botched polishing efforts.

July 19 2016 149.JPG

Wait a minute, it’s actually pretty great…..now!

But, here are a few “before” pics prior to it getting the royal treatment from Adam aka @photo500! Suffice it to say, the Hodinkee article featuring Adam’s work was no exaggeration. Photos below courtesy of @photo500

260355-01730d72c9bcb4f6e1b0583af8f68c3c.jpg

IMG_9696.JPG

My pics aren’t great but here are the two watches side-by-side. It’s hard for me (at least) to tell the difference. The twins have become much more identical.

July 19 2016 145.JPG
    July 19 2016 146.JPG
    July 19 2016 151.JPG
    July 19 2016 152.JPG

OK. Perhaps there is one small but noticeable difference on the restored case, the crown does not screw in entirely flush with the case…….but it is pretty close.

July 19 2016 155.JPG

So, let me wrap up with the last twist and the pending mystery. Inside, Ploprofs are supposed to have 1002 movements (20j) inside, and with the mk2, that is the case. However, my mk1 has a 1000 (17j) inside! Supposedly, 1000s were primarily intended for Constellations (?), but there does seem to be the possibility that they made it into a few Ploprofs too (at least according to Jon Wallis’s Omega Ploprof book).

Furthermore, and deepening the mystery (or perhaps helping to solve it) is that the mk1 has a serial number of 33, 1xx, xxx (~1971) while the mk2 has a serial 32, 0xx, xxx (~1970). Reverse intuitive order, of course, but within the possible range of overlap (?) on Chuck Maddox’s production charts. Still, it’s puzzling…….perhaps a sign a 1002 ID bridge was placed on a cal 1000? I hope not.

Next steps……1. Extract of the Archives. 2. Post WTB for a high-quality mk3. 3. Edit and re-edit errors within this post!

Thanks for reading. Feedback, additions, corrections welcome!

July 19 2016 156.JPG

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 20, 2016

Great watches! Their 3rd cousin says hello...
    20160720_194818.png 20160720_194801.png 20160720_194835.png

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 20, 2016

Perfect for mad dogging. Twins. Nice pair.

No wrists shots?

Ploprofs are as awesome as Speedmasters.

RawArcher likes this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 20, 2016

Not one smart ass joke in your post.;) Great write up and two beautiful watches. I got my first in the 70's while working as a bell saturation diver. They were company issued and as such were returned to gear room after each dive. Could not figure out a way to "lose" the watch in the bell so I have been lusting for one ever since.

Dash1 and RawArcher like this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 20, 2016

And that is exactly why I love these ugly beasts! Great story, and testament to them being the ultimate tool watch.

RawArcher likes this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 20, 2016

l
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Never failed me, ever.

RawArcher and trama like this.
  7. micampe Jul 20, 2016

Good post. I always enjoy the pictures when you post them, both because we don't see many of them and because the PloProf is a watch I like to look at and read about but I don't think I have enough chest hair to pull it off. Maybe when I grow up.

RawArcher and watchknut like this.
  8. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 20, 2016

Agreed!

Okay.....re: movement beauty, may be a step behind there.......

9. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 20, 2016

10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 20, 2016

No wonder you're such a proud papa. Beautiful children!

RawArcher likes this.
  11. CrisROSE Jul 21, 2016

Thanks for the photos, lovely watches - I've grown quite fond of the Ploprofs, I never see any in my price range tho, so I guess i better get saving!

RawArcher likes this.
  12. rollingrevolver Jul 21, 2016

Thoroughly enjoyed your post! I know very little about ploprofs and have already learnt quite a bit from you. Beautiful examples. Should I venture into the ploprof realm..? Oh dear..

RawArcher likes this.
  13. Dash1 Jul 22, 2016

Great post, I love the Ploprof, it really is the ultimate tool watch. I've seen enough of them with cal 1000 movements to make me think they could well be original, in fact my current one has the 1000, so I look forward to hearing the results of your extract.
    002.JPG

GregH, RawArcher and Taddyangle like this.
  14. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 22, 2016

Thanks Ash. Yours is a beauty.......and love hearing it has a 1000 inside!

15. alam Jul 22, 2016

Nice examples you got there! :thumbsup:

This makes two of us! :D

RawArcher likes this.
  16. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 22, 2016

This makes two of us! :D[/QUOTE]
    Alam.......I believe your self-assessment carries much more modesty than mine........:)