Forums Latest Members
  1. Electron17 May 14, 2017

Hello everyone,
    I am new here and would like to share my Omega experience. I got my first Omega in about 1970 while still at school. My father got a 18 ct gold Constellation and I got the stainless steel version. I had many happy years wearing this watch and still have it. My father passed away a few years ago and I now have his gold watch. When I got it it was not in a good condition. The stem had rusted into the tube and the movement no longer worked. I think some links had been removed and I tried to source some new links from Omega but they are no longer available. A manufacturing jeweler made 2 links for me and the watch now fits perfectly. I tried to get the watch repaired locally but it could not be repaired so it was sent back to Omega in Switzerland and came back with an almost new movement that now works perfectly. The cost was very reasonable and I now have a very nice 18 ct gold watch. Some years ago I purchased a 50th Anniversary Speedmaster and a Seamaster 300m. The Speedy I have never worn but had some issues with the Seamaster. First issue, the watch started up and ran for about 5 seconds before stopping. So back it went, a lose screw was found in the movement!!! After it came back it started losing time at a rapid rate so bank for more attention.
    Recently I decided to buy myself a new Planet Ocean with orange bezel insert. I have looked at this watch for some years and really liked the look of it. Big mistake, a real piece of junk! Firstly it came in a huge imitation wood cheap plastic box. I absolutely hated that box and managed to get it changed for the smaller red box. Like the Seamaster it has no adjustment in the clasp. So all adjustment is via adding or removing links. This is a problem as during our hot summer my wrist is larger than in the cooler winter. So if sized for summer it is too big for winter and if sized for winter it is too small for summer. The PO has the worst date setting of any watch I have ever seen. At the first stop when pulling out the crown and when turning the crown the hour hand spins around to eventually change the date. If your current date if half a month away from the date on the watch it takes a long time turning the crown and the hour hand spinning around to get to the desired date. What were Omega thinking!!! Lastly, from start up the watch lost between 4 and 6 seconds a day, very poor for a Chronometer. I am very disappointed with this watch as at the price you would expect it to be perfect. So back in the box and there it will stay.
    Thanks for a great forum and I look forward to readings many posts and contributing in the future.

2. pianomankd May 14, 2017

Thanks for the nice post. Welcome to the forum!

3. w.finkenstaedt May 14, 2017

The "imitation wood box" is actual varnished wood. Just FYI.

Also, it seems like a bit more research about the PO before purchase would have saved you quite a bit of money. But also, your timekeeping is likely because it's an old watch and needs service; the orange PO 8500s came out over 5 years ago. If it's still in warranty, they will regulate and service the movement for free. The 8500 calibres I have are by far my most precise watches, gaining almost the exact same amount of time each day no matter the conditions.

Last, you can buy the Seamaster 300 or new PO clasp for $117, which has six micro adjustments.

More time on the forums before your next watch purchase, I'd think. [emoji6]

Jwit likes this.
  4. Electron17 May 15, 2017

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

5. Electron17 May 15, 2017

Thanks for the info, is there a way of checking the date of manufacture via the serial number? This is a new watch I purchased on 16 February so should still be under warranty. $117 in our dreadful currency is a lot of money for a clasp. Omega should know about this problem and offer the clasp at time of purchase. I did have a good look at the box and it definitely looked like a cheap plastic box. I thought at first it was wooden and hoped that to be so but sadly I think it was plastic. Anyway it is now gone and I have the smaller red box which in my opinion looks much better. It also fits into the cupboard much better than the other one.
    Cheers mate and thanks for your reply.

6. Sidney Carton May 21, 2017

My 8500 is way better than previous movements. But I'm sorry you don't love your Omega. It's okay. Try a different one.