Forums Latest Members

My Omega Speedmaster Watch, how can I get an idea of its worth?

1. melanie Feb 26, 2015

Hello,

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask, but since the jeweler can't help, I hope you guys could. When me and my sisters were little girls, my mother bought us an omega speedmaster professional CAL. 861 watch, as investment. Now that we are buying a house, I would like to sell this watch, which has never been worn, and thus is in new-condition. In the back, serial number 812 is engraved. The guarantee card says it's reference number is 1/39922/050. All 'extra's' as the guarantee card, the original box and the original cards are still there. According to my mum, it's a limited series, but I can't find anything on that on the internet. Would any of you have an indication of price, and a suggestion where best to sell it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Melanie

IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1747.JPG IMG_1744.JPG
    Sameh likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Looks like its a 1990 - 1995 model, if its an unworn full set probably in the 2.5k-3.5k range depending on how badly someone wants a mint tritium moonwatch.

Etp095 likes this.
  3. Mothra Feb 26, 2015

Dsio, just to confirm that's dollars you are talking about? From the 'mum' I'm guessing the OP is from the UK. Melanie, do you know what your mum originally paid for the watch? Just being nosy really, and wondering how it held up as an investment. If you do want to sell, and haven't been buried in private messages from member desperate for the watch (possibly unlikely as it's not really old enough for most on here), your best bet is probably ebay with lots of clear photos and as much detail and colour in terms of the story as you can include. We all love it when a watch has a history.

Guys, Is it normal to have bits of the caseback medallion coloured in?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Sorry yea, I meant dollars

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2015

is that remnants of the plastic that would have been on the watch when new?

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2015

Warranty is dated 1990 so it does match up... Good opportunity for someone looking for a mint 861, not so much for the seller as it falls on between brackets

7. melanie Feb 26, 2015

Hi, thanks for the swift replys allready! This is the original packaging, and had no color on it, so the coloring is something else, I guess. No, unfortunately, my mum has no idea how much she initially paid for it (and indeed Europe, though Belgium, not UK). Would you guys recommend to let people bid on ebay?

Etp095 likes this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2015

Yes, but place a reserve on it so they don't under bid you

9. melanie Feb 26, 2015

And how long does a bid typically 'run'?

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2015

On eBay? You set the time but normally 7 to 10 days

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Honestly with a Speedmaster Pro I'd start the bidding at $1 no reserve and just let it run, take really good quality photos of everything including the packaging and be detailed in your ad and you'll get market value. Mention that its tritium not superluminova as some people prefer that.

12. micampe Feb 26, 2015

Good photos are very important and will get you a better price. Grab a friend who knows how to use a camera and a light box.

13. repoman Feb 26, 2015

Warranty card dated mid-1990, and the watch looks like a 3590.50 from that era, but the warranty card also has a strange number written in the "ref" portion - looks more like a serial number than a reference number, and the serial would be from a much earlier watch. (maybe somebody smarter than me can explain that). I assumed the blue areas on the caseback are old plastic easily removed, or just camera artifacts.

Melanie, the good news is that the watch is all original, very good condition, with box and papers. That's what buyers are looking for! Also good is that the dial/lume is nicely aged and the caseback is very clean. By any chance is there engraving on the side of the watch case? If so, that would indicate its a 20th anniversary Apollo XI limited edition. I'm assuming not since you did not show any pictures of the left side watch case, and thus it probably is not engraved. So, on the downside, this is not a particularly interesting Speedmaster in terms of date or reference number, its not a limited edition, its your standard Moonwatch (but still very nice and valuable), and it will need a service before someone starts wearing it everyday. I see this selling in the $2500 - $2900 range, can't really see this going over $3000, but you never know. If you had a value in mind, I'd say list it in the for sale section of this forum (with moderator approval since you are new here). Otherwise, I agree with others, Ebay with $1 starting price and no reserve.... have no doubt, this baby will sell at a very fair market value, if not a premium if two or more really want it. My guess would be around $2900 USD. you may even get a few offers in your inbox here on the forum, I would be interested, but I am already broke from buying too many watches :D Best of luck.

Edited Feb 26, 2015
    blubarb likes this.
  14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 26, 2015

If you don't have much of a presence selling on eBay you may not get the bids an experienced eBay seller would receive. Also, you will need to pay eBay fees, about $250 in this case.

You might be best doing a face to face transaction via a member here.

Without a presence on this board, and presumably no other sales references you may not get the most you can for this watch.

Good luck with sale.

chronos, SpikiSpikester and repoman like this.
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 26, 2015

To add:

You can do a search on eBay past sales to get an idea on what these watches have sold for in the past. However, you will not often come up with a previous sale that included the original box, as most will be the watch only and in good used condition.

Given we do not know how you will sell this, it is tough to say what your net proceeds would be when selling this watch. I think the sales range for this model watch is $2300-2800 range, depending on the condition. Your watch would be on the higher end I would think.

I would try and do face to face sales with a member here, that could very well allow you to net the most by saving on eBay fees. If you have a good sales presence on eBay, then I would do a $1 auction with some good solid pics.

Do people really still use those types of phones? I have not seen one of those in 10 years. :)

16. Josh36912 Feb 26, 2015

I would strongly suggest you exhaust all options of selling this through the forum before trying to sell on eBay Melanie.

Good luck.

17. repoman Feb 26, 2015

Melanie, I neglected to mention the "812" stamped on the back of your watch. That is actually a part of the bracelet called the "end link" which has its own identifier. This is not the watch model (aka "reference" or "PIC") number, nor is it a serial number. It's just the end-link number.

jayessbee likes this.
  18. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 26, 2015

I have a Speedmaster from -94 in almost the same condition . I paid $2150 for it . From Italy . Was the only one that bid on it . The seller said i did a bargain . My watch hasn't been serviced either and still has the red dot left . Think i will have it serviced soon though .

19. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 26, 2015

Melanie,

If you do indeed sell on Ebay, I highly suggest you take better pictures. Try to take them in natural light. Perhaps even show them on this thread before the listing, so that we can tell you if they're adequate. Description, too. These are both very important for good auction results.

adrienbelanger likes this.
  20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 26, 2015

Likely this.