Forums Latest Members

My Omega journey ... (pics included)

1. polbrr Jul 11, 2016

Hello all,

Just as the prodigal son returns, here I am with the account of my Omega watches journey :

I started (only 4 years ago) by being simply struck with the minimalist beauty of the Constellation 561, pictured here. Wore it for more than a year, sold it later not without recurring regrets, as it was still (too) classy to wear once in a couple of months ...

Sailing further in the watch world, some modern Russians on the way, that did not get sold until just recently ...

A very nice (condition) Longines Flagship 30LS joined just last year, am I in for vintage (again)?

In the last year or two I find myself caught by the history and appeal of the Speedmaster, and more recently of the Aqua Terra looks and versatility ... pictures included.

Then, the wind blows and I am wearing a new Rolex Explorer 42mm Polar, 90% wrist time as of February this year... (pics on request :)

The Speedmaster again got sold on the way, part of my current thinking of watch number reduction - I was thinking of:

1. Keeping the Explorer 2 Polar as all-around and buying an Explorer 1 in 39 mm after selling the SP and AT (Omegas)
    2. (more like it) Keeping the Explorer 2 Polar AND the AT, and get a third watch - a chrono like Zenith El Primero or JLC Master (JLC above budget for now )

Ideas welcome, anyway it seems while writing that my "need" of a chrono tells I am missing the Speedmaster ... could be, still I would be looking for a "dressier" chrono if that existed.

AT1.jpg 20151008_072127.jpg 20151024_122630.jpg 20130809_161150.jpg
    Josh Bear, OMGRLX and Giff2577 like this.
  2. sydneywatchguy Jul 11, 2016

Well definitely option 2. You have a Rolex, the AT is nicer than an explorer plus you get a 3rd watch.

3. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jul 11, 2016

If you don't want that AT anymore, I'd be interested. :)

4. kurtj29 Jul 11, 2016

Option 2: I just picked up a Speedmaster 3507 and just flipped my Rolex Polar Explorer II for a Zenith El Primero Striking 10th. I found I was not a GMT watch person. I love chrono's so I am all in now - Plus I really like the Zenith.

5. kurtj29 Jul 11, 2016

Per your comment: Ideas welcome, anyway it seems while writing that my "need" of a chrono tells I am missing the Speedmaster ... could be, still I would be looking for a "dressier" chrono if that existed.

Internet pictures... As I said I am picking up a Striking 10th, which is more on the dressier side but still very sporty (for me - I love the color):
    Zenith El Chrono 10.jpg

If you really want dressy, this will be in my stable sometime in the future. For less than $10K I don't think anything comes close to this:

Zenith E Chrono.jpg

6. micampe Jul 11, 2016

7. EatMan Jul 11, 2016

definitely option 2. Zenith El Primero just don't work for me. I vote save up for JLC Master

8. BruceTheManLee Jul 11, 2016

how about option "3" - comprised of Rolex Exp2, Rolex Exp1, and Speedmaster?

I like the Exp 1 more than AT and like the Speedmaster more than Zenith. Personally I'm not a JLC fan.

Dressier? the Exp1 is classic and put the Speedmaster on a nice croc strap and it totally dresses it up

9. kurtj29 Jul 11, 2016

No offense but I think in a 3 watch collection one should have one watch that is a little "out there". Exp1, Exp2 and Speedmaster - all great watches, very safe, super safe if I might say. But that's like 3 singles, you need to swing for the fences with one watch. Get the Zenith or JLC - well maybe not a home run, they are good multi-base hits. (sorry for the baseball analogy - if you don't know baseball.)

10. polbrr Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for inputs guys, still the Aqua Terra would be a keeper and a Zenith next planned purchase.
    Unless of course you talk me out of this ;) maybe other chrono would suit - in the same bracket with Zenith