Forums Latest Members

My Omega After Sales and Repairs Experience

1. TonicA May 30, 2015

I would like to share a recent Omega experience to all who believe in the importance of after-sales service.

A few weeks after purchasing my Omega Seamaster late last year, I noticed that the hour handle did not line up with hour markers at each hour point. I was prepared to live with that. However, it worsened and I returned my watch April this year for repairs, still under warranty.

Omega took just over a month to return the watch. When I went to pick it up I was shocked as the watch still had the same issue. In slightly better state but the problem still easily noticeable. I have taken a photo of the watch when they tried to return it to me and will post it at a later time together with my original repair form.

I asked for either a refund or replace it with another watch. They refused. Omega stores manager replied that his superior clearly stated that the watch will need to be returned to workshop for another attempt at repair. Disappointing response as they had spent a whole month to fix the issue AND tried to pass back to me with problem still existing.

Another concern is that this watch must have passed their Quality Assurance (QA) measures before it went on display and then must have passed QA at the repairs work shop before it was returned to the owner.

I was wondering if members here had similar after-sales experience or whether this is an isolated issue in this region of the world. I certainly hope this is one-off experience as I would like to remain a loyal Omega customer and continue to recommend it to my friends and families.

I will keep you posted with the progress as I will be returning to the shop shortly to see the result of their second repair attempt.

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 31, 2015

In which region of the world do you reside?

3. davidswiss May 31, 2015

That's a sad story and does not match my experience. A speedmaster auto that I bought new in Switzerland developed a problem just within the warranty period and was returned for repair. It came back fine but the same fault re appeared just after the warranty expired. I returned it to the shop where it was bought with a request for them to fix it under warranty. Not only was it repaired free of charge, but I had good feedback from Omega itself. It was an excellent example of good service. It may depend on where you bought the watch and from whom.

4. TonicA Jun 2, 2015

Stewart, I bought the watch in Malaysia. Luckily I am still in Malaysia and have not returned back to Australia. Imagine trying to deal with this issue outside of country of purchase.
    David, I am glad you had a much more positive experience. That is exactly what I expected it to be. Guess, this is an isolated issue to this part of the world.
    Do you think I should contact head office in Switzerland and let them know of my experience here in hope that they can fix the after sales service here?
    Photo below shows that the state of the watch when Omega tried to pass it back to me. The photo was taken with watch on top of repairs return slip.

Omegaafterrepairs.jpg
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 2, 2015

That would piss me off too.

The Omega warranty is worldwide and you should be able to get it fixed by the service centre in Australia when you get back. As you no longer have any confidence in the people who have already looked at it, you might be better off waiting.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

Is this the Omega boutique or an authorized dealer?

7. TonicA Jun 2, 2015

The watch was purchased from an Omega boutique. I believe it is their largest boutique shop in Malaysia. I could have bought it from an authorized dealer but made sure I went to a boutique to ensure best and direct after sales service.

8. TonicA Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for the info, Stewart.
    It was touch and go for a while but I will be stationed in Malaysia at least until end of the year now, by which time my warranty will have lapsed.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

Warranty is 3 years isn't it on those?

10. TonicA Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for correcting me, dsio. Someone from another forum informed me it is four. I just checked my booklet and it states:
    2 years for Omega Watches
    3 years for Omega Watches with co-axial escapement
    4 years for those with S114 balance spring or with caliber 8500 and 8501.
    Glad to know. Never bothered to check before as I thought I will never need it.
    Anyway, the watchmaker on the other forum advises to send watches in repair as soon as you notice an issue so I will repair it now.

11. redpcar Jun 2, 2015

:eek: Totally unacceptable.

12. davidswiss Jun 5, 2015

That is very bad service, well no service at all in fact. I'd certainly contact Omega head office about it I'm sure they will be as unhappy as you about it.

13. TonicA Jul 5, 2015

UPDATE: Glad to report it is a positive one. After the second repair attempt failed to resolve the issue, Omega offered a replacement watch. I had the watch for a week now but thought I will wait a few days before I post to take out any lingering emotions.

It was often a frustrating wait, but looking back, not because of Omega but more due to my initial lack of understanding of the complexity of these watches and company procedure that must be followed.

In fact, Omega Malaysia were absolutely wonderful at the way they handled the situation, especially boutique staff and the customer representative that I was dealing with. I was silently impressed with their professionalism. I will go far as to say it was the best customer service I have experienced anywhere. I was not a happy customer after the result of first repairs attempt but not once did they show any hint of irritation at this initially angst ridden customer but focused on keeping me informed with empathy that was highly recommendable.

So, would I buy an Omega and/or do repairs from this region again? Absolutely! Even more so now than before.

WatchWarlock and hermes4 like this.
  14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 5, 2015

Really pleased it worked out for you - and well done Omega for sorting it out and restoring your faith.

hermes4 likes this.
  15. davidswiss Jul 5, 2015

Very glad to read that it all worked out for you. I'm a fan of Omega and it was sad to read the original story.

hermes4 likes this.
  16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 5, 2015

Glad your situation was resolved satisfactorily.
    After my experience with authorized repair in the U.S., I can say I have no intention of ever purchasing a new Omega. I purchased a new Speedmaster Moonwatch to hold me over until my Broad Arrow chronograph was repaired for the third time. While the Broad Arrow got fixed, the Speedy failed too.
    It took five efforts to make the Speedy right. When it seemed all was finally good with the Speedy, I sold all my Omegas (at a big loss) and went back to Rolex.
    I'm neither bashing Omega nor praising Rolex here. Everyone has a different experience with different brands for completely random experiences. I even returned to the Omega brand, albeit for vintage Speedmaster examples.
    I sold my Rolexes in favor of another brand, which has also left a bad taste from their service. Patek Philippe was able to successfully service a perfectly functioning watch that was overdue for service, it just took eight (8!) months to do it...
    Now I have a Cartier in for service. Bad taste already. Seems independent watchmakers are unable to get parts from Cartier so I have to send mine to Cartier to make it right. It will cost me $800 to service (not repair mind you, but clean/lube/adjust) a basic ETA-caliber movement. But this service will restore the watch to factory specs with new gaskets and water-resistance.
    Ah, the things we do for our wrist...

hermes4 likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 5, 2015

If the cartier is a basic eta movement why can't it be serviced by an independent watch maker?

18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 5, 2015

The movement CAN be serviced by an independent watch maker. However, the independent watch maker cannot replace the gaskets for the case, crown, and crystal.
    I tried to find a way around going to Cartier.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/cartier-roadster-advice-on-service.26796/

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 5, 2015

I see. 800 is a big ticket for sure.

20. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

Putting me off Cartier there... thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk