Forums Latest Members
  1. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Hello Omega guru's.

Firstly, I want to say that my father has recently passed away suddenly of a heart attack and left me a watch that he got for his 21st Birthday which would of been in 1969.

I've always loved this watch and have been fascinated by it since I was a kid. Unfortunately it has not been working for many years. I only remember my old boy wearing it when I was young.

Obviously the watch is not going to be for sale ever but being a fan of vintage items, i need some advice to get it repaired and serviced so it works and I can wear it and hopefully pass it on to my boy when it's my time.

What would be the the most sensible steps to get it going? It looks like it's missing the top right button (see pics).

How hard to obtain are the spares required to get it going again? Hens teeth??

Visually, it appears to be in good condition and I would like to retain its patina if possible.

If anyone could shoot an indicative cost range to see her tick again, that would be awesome.

Also, I'm in Sydney Australian so any places to take it would be helpful.

Cheers in advance,

Brett

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3417.JPG IMG_3418.JPG
    Etp095, balaja, Krabong and 8 others like this.
  2. omegastar Aug 14, 2017

Hi and welcome to OF.
    Nice Speedmaster, probably a 145.012-67 or a 105.012-66.
    There should be a date in the clasp of the bracelet which will give the first indication.
    The rest is inside the case-back will need the intervention of a watchmaker.
    You have most of the important parts.
    Kind regards
    Mounir

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 14, 2017

Welcome to the Forums Brett.

Condolences on your Dad, he was obviously a man of good taste and wore that Speedy like it should have been worn.

Your best course (IMO) is a sympathetic restoration consisting of:

Ultrasonic cleaning of the case and bracelet.
    Very gentle cleaning of the bezel (soft brush/dish liquid/warm water).
    A clean/oil/adjust of the movement.

Your watch will not look new and pristine but it will retain its high value if done this way.

Try Max Schweizer Swiss Watch Service (Suite 313, 375 George St, Sydney ) for quality restoration, explain exactly what you want done and I'm sure you'll have a nice memento of your Dad for many years to come.

4. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Mounir,

I'm assuming you mean this is the date??

(Feb 1969?)

IMG_3423.JPG
  5. harrymai86 Aug 14, 2017

It is 2nd Quarter of 1969 not Feb

firsttimer likes this.
  6. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Jim, that's what I'm after. Will they be able to source the missing button etc or am I better sourcing one myself and taking it in??

7. omegastar Aug 14, 2017

Exactly, so the watch is very probably a 145.012-67 made in 68' or 69'
    Go to Speedmaster101.com for further info.

firsttimer likes this.
  8. Davidt Aug 14, 2017

Sorry for your loss.

Regarding the watch, that's a wonderful heirloom. As above, likely a 145.012-67 or 145.022-68.

That code on the bracelet relates to second quarter of 69. It could still be either model as these watches sometimes stood in the factory or dealers for a year or so.

I'd agree with the comments above. The best bet, is a full movement service, ultrasonic clean of the case (no polishing), and gentle wipe of the bezel. Keep the dial, bezel, hands and case as is. The crystal might polish up fine, but if not, crystals are service items and can be renewed without issue. Same with the pushers, new correct ones are available.

That will be beautiful.

You could get a new service dial, bezel and hands but a) that significantly reduces the collector value, and b) the new items won't be the ones your dad looked down at for all those years.

Edited Aug 14, 2017
    nonuffinkbloke, Jwit and firsttimer like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 14, 2017

Even if you luck in finding the correct items, you can't be sure that they are kosher. Leave it to the watchmakers that have an Omega parts account and access to what spares Omega has in stock (maybe).

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  10. marco Aug 14, 2017

Welcome Brett,
    That is a lovely watch to remember your dad by. Never sell it, you would regret it.
    I recommend Lewis Watch Co in Perth, Adam Lewis is THE Speedmaster guy in Oz.
    His work is exemplary .
    I wish you well and enjoy this wonderful heirloom, maybe this could be the watch never own but pass on to your children.

photo500, lando and firsttimer like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 14, 2017

LWC is also a solid choice and Adam does excellent work, but the OP is in Sydney, 3,200 kilometres from Perth. The OP has to evaluate the choices.

12. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Marco,

I will never sell this watch, I'll never be able to replace its significance. I always joked with my dad that I will one day end up with it.

I love the story behind it. My grandmother worked at Grace Bros. Broadway in Sydney for many years in 60's. I believe she purchased it at the store for my fathers 21st b'day in the late 60's.

I think it's a pretty cool piece of family history well worth preserving and enjoying. In fact I would love to see it actually work!!

t_swiss_t, rob#1, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  13. richardew Aug 14, 2017

So sorry for your loss. You have a wonderful watch to remember him by. It is also quite valuable. You want to get it serviced though. You can't just let anybody work on it and certainly not by Omega. The Omega watchmakers will want to make it look like new. They will polish the case (bad), replace the dial and hands (very very bad), replace the pushers, crystal and crown (normal wear items). It is a very nice example of an untouched 145.012-67, possibly a 105-012-66 with an HF case or a 145.022-68 transitional. The first two models have a c321 movement, the last a c861 movement. The sweep second hand is incorrect for a c321 watch but is correct for a 145.022-68. It looks to be as aged as the hour and minute hands so I think it is most likely a 145.022-68 transitional. The case is in very good condition. The dial has a beautiful patina but is missing lume at the 3,4 and 8 plots. The hands are O'K and what you see with a ~50 year old speedy. The crown looks to be original, and I imagine that the pushers are too (I can never tell about the pushers). When you get it serviced it may need a new crown, pushers and crystal. These items all have seals that you cannot replace. For the inside of the watch to maintain its' integrity these seals need to function. In any event, you should get back any original parts that have been replaced.

14. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Richard,

Cheers for the info. I definitely do not want to compromise the originality of the watch.

Brett

Jwit likes this.
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 14, 2017

Consider ordering an extract from Omega. The extract will provide you details about the watch including the date is was delivered and where.

They are ~$150 usd and take about 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Jwit likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2017

Great heirloom mate, sorry to hear about your dad but he definitely had excellent taste and did take care of it well (the pusher isn't a big deal at all compared to important elements of the watch like the dial and bezel. I'd go with Jim's recommendation in Sydney as I've had some recent poor experiences with Auspost and you don't want to risk a watch that can't ever be replaced in that way.

nonuffinkbloke and firsttimer like this.
  17. Nathan1967 Aug 14, 2017

Brett
    Welcome to the OF, sorry to hear about your Dad.

That Watch is going to look amazing once it's done, it'll be a great way to remember him I think. Please stick around, see what's happening on the forum and we'd love to see what the Watch looks like once it's done. I'd also recommend that you read the posts of @nonuffinkbloke aka Jonathan. Earlier this year he inherited his Dad's Speedmaster - it's a great story from start to finish and may also help you a fair bit.

Without seeing the movement your Watch looks like a 145.022 68 Transitional to me - judging by the patina of the lume plots. If you'd like to know when your watch was made once you know the serial No- log onto ilovemyspeedmaster.com - they have a really neat tool that will accurately predict when it was manufactured.

All the best

Nathan

nonuffinkbloke and firsttimer like this.
  18. Pahawi Aug 14, 2017

Nice watch - congrats.

The sweep second hand is correct for late 145.012's and forward.......

marco, t_swiss_t, Buck2466 and 4 others like this.
  19. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 14, 2017

Sorry to hear that you have lost your Dad Brett. Beautiful watch mate!

There are all sorts of things that we may inherit but there is something about these lovely old watches that is so special. I think it's because, for most people, owning a watch like that meant that it accompanied them on an every day basis. Your Dad wound it, maybe cleaned it now and then, but most importantly, regularly consulted it to help get him through his days. To be where he needed to be, when he needed to be there. It's a very personal thing from a time before mobile phones.

Have you any old pictures of your Dad wearing his Speedmaster through the years? If you have it would be great to see them.
    P.S. Every time I see one of those beautiful original flat link bracelets I wonder what happened to my Dad's. He replaced his with a later 1171/633. It looks great and is important to me, but it aint as cool as a flat link bracelet on a pre-moon Omega Speedmaster.
    Cheers.
    Jonathan in the UK.

marco, Ritzwatch and firsttimer like this.
  20. firsttimer Aug 14, 2017

Cheers Jonathan.

I read back over your posts and had a good laugh. Very similar circumstances betweeen our father's passing, only my old boy decided to play a game of tennis last Sunday week to impress a younger lady friend. Looks like he impressed her a bit to much!! Came as a shock (pardon the pun) as he probably hasn't played tennis since his twenties!!!

He was a hard worker (automotive engineer or a mechanic as I called him heheh) from a working class family and I too never got to touch his watch until now!!

I still have to dig through the old pics. First, I've got his funeral in one hour's time!! I think he would find it funny I'm talking about getting his watch sorted before he is even cremated!!

Can't wait to see it work. It's been sitting in his sock draw for too many years now!

Brett

nonuffinkbloke, ConElPueblo and marco like this.