Forums Latest Members
  1. Federchicco Nov 18, 2018

4C546111-BD3D-423D-9F3C-D36816F552A5.png
  2. LaurentBxl Nov 18, 2018

what are you concerned about?

3. Davidt Nov 18, 2018

It would help if you stated your thoughts and concerns to get the ball rolling

4. Federchicco Nov 18, 2018

Hello,
    Sorry for not adding more details. Looking in internet I cannot find a dial with written tachimeter and telemeter that way and the number 85 seems a bit off. It is also unfortunate that the case reference number is not readable
    Having bought it in a reputable auction gives me a bit more guarantees but I thought better to check with the experts!
    Thanks

5. Carlton-Browne Nov 18, 2018

I'm sorry that I don't have the knowledge to comment on your watch but I have learnt that there's no such thing as a reputable auction.

CaptainWinsor and ELV web like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 18, 2018

So it appears there were variations in this reference denoted by a 6th digit (1,2,3). This can be hands and dial usually. Overall it looks ok. Condition is not what I would consider buying but presentable . H/M Hands are not the usual UG dauphine (we’ve seen and debated narrower hands here before) ... either way they don’t look strange. You might want to try and stabilize the peeling plate. A careful application of nail polish or thinned varnish perhaps?

I cannot stand the arty pictures this and other houses use. For that reason and their financial instability, I’d never buy from them. Another point which I keep making to folks who PM me for advice. In this price range with UG there are too many compromises. I advise to either save up or enjoy other brands that have not been pumped up by the market.

Cheers

KingCrouchy, Mark020 and Federchicco like this.
  7. Federchicco Nov 18, 2018

Thanks for your advice Larry

valjoux72 likes this.
  8. rolokr Nov 18, 2018

I think you should watch private watch sales on OF, you would get a better example of UG and
    at,a better value !

slique12 and Larry S like this.
  9. vujen Nov 19, 2018

It's all good, man!

Saul Goodman says! :)

Seriously, it's 100% legit at my eyes.

Federchicco and Larry S like this.
  10. CaptainWinsor Nov 19, 2018

I’ve seen that company selling a lot of questionable items over the years. I’ll echo the sentiments that auction houses can’t always be trusted and aren’t as knowledgeable as people think. Twice I informed Sotheby’s of erroneous designer attributions for items and they pulled them. It’s amazing how little they do know sometimes even though they have specialized departments.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  11. bgrisso Nov 19, 2018

Larry S, Dan S and Mark020 like this.
  12. bgrisso Nov 19, 2018

Perhaps a financial incentive to be willfully ignorant?

KingCrouchy likes this.
  13. Federchicco Nov 19, 2018

Thanks all for your honest advice. I acknowledge that through OF I would have got a better deal but unfortunately the damage is done.. at least the watch is original and I like it.
    I have to add that the photo shows a watch in worst condition then it is. To my uneducated view the watch is beautiful, still I learnt the lesson and next time (guess won’t be my last vintage UG) I’ll follow your advices and will get a better deal/better conditions!

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 20, 2018

Enjoy it .. that’s the most important.

Federchicco likes this.
  15. KingCrouchy Nov 20, 2018

@Larry S what do you mean by financial instability when you talk about auctiions house? Do they often go bankrupt? How can you evaluate the risk? Just a noob that never bought anything at a proper auction. Thanks

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 20, 2018

That one went wobbly a while back.

17. Verdi Nov 26, 2018

While doing research before buying mine, I did come across this dial with tachymetre and telemetre on top. So, there is nothing wrong with that imo.

The rest....I leave it for the experts.