My new to me 1949 jumbo bumper auto

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums, having just made an account. I've owned a Speedy date for around 5 years (not a 'proper' Speedy I know, but I love it all the same), and have in the past year or so been looking at buying something vintage. I love old/antique things in general because of the stories they can tell, and I like to wonder where they have been in their lives. Having searched around for a while in various places (mainly Chrono24) I came to the decision that I would only like to buy a watch I have seen and tried on in person. I have paired it with a strap from Atelier Jean Rousseau, who may not make the cheapest straps but nonetheless are of very high quality, with many bespoke and made to order options. Mine is in an embossed calf leather (shown in the 'on wrist' pic).

The model is a 1949 2493-3 reference with a 342 automatic bumper movement. Full arabic numerals with a two-tone face, sub-dial and a screw back case, all in steel. 36mm, so considered a 'jumbo' I believe for the time. I have applied for an extract from the archives in the hope of confirming it is a 1949 watch (as opposed to very early 1950), as well as other information that might be available.

It appears very original indeed, which is exactly what I wanted, and so far (touchwood) is keeping great time. I wonder if the dial has been redone in the past (perhaps Omega might have done it in the 60s or 70s). I think when dealing with a watch over seventy years old at some stage one has to accept that past work just becomes a part of the story of the piece.
Edited:

I'm in at $100USD but out at $10k

As always with these asking posts, depends on what you paid.

I'm in at $100USD but out at $10k

As always with these asking posts, depends on what you paid.
I wasn’t really asking for thoughts in terms of price, but seeing as you’ve brought it up: I paid £1,400, which is $1,700. Based on prices for similar pieces on Chrono24, I believe this to be a fair price - especially for a jumbo. Admittedly, it is possible to find some cheaper, but they are a) not in the UK and b) from private sellers, so without that comfort of buying from a reputable business with a service and warranty attached.

I wasn’t really asking for thoughts in terms of price, but seeing as you’ve brought it up: I paid £1,400, which is $1,700. Based on prices for similar pieces on Chrono24, I believe this to be a fair price - especially for a jumbo. Admittedly, it is possible to find some cheaper, but they are a) not in the UK and b) from private sellers, so without that comfort of buying from a reputable business with a service and warranty attached.
I dont think the dial has been refinished, otherwise they would have put the minute markers back! I always wonder where they go.

Ive bought 3 Jumbo Bumpers recently all in impeccable condition, two being waffles for $1400 or so, and a non waffle for $1000. I think you overpaid a bit Honestly, given how some of the minute markers are missing. If you enjoy and love it though the price is a bit irrelevant. Wear it in good health

P.S. unsold listings on C24 are horrible to reference. Theyre unsold for a reason

I see a heavily washed dial and a heavily polished case with heavy manipulated pictures from the seller.

Glad you could evaluate in person and decided you liked it, very lucky indeed.

Welcome

Enjoy wearing your Jumbo, a cool vintage piece.

Glad you're happy with your watch. Welcome to OF.

I see a heavily washed dial and a heavily polished case with heavy manipulated pictures from the seller.

Glad you could evaluate in person and decided you liked it, very lucky indeed.

Welcome

Enjoy wearing your Jumbo, a cool vintage piece.

I feel it’s worth saying that pictures don’t really do the watch justice, hence why I decided after a little bit of looking that I would only buy pieces I had seen in person. Out of interest, what do you think you would have paid?

I think the dial has certainly been cleaned at some point in its lifetime, resulting in a few of the minute markers being rubbed away. However the photos aren’t manipulated - I have seen the setup they use (a small studio-like setup with flash/background). If it looks manipulated it’s simply due to the brightness.

Like I mentioned, glad you could evaluate in person. And then buy it to bring you joy.

I would have passed, for a variety of reasons but mostly the 3 I mentioned.

Some of the minute markers are missing around the edge. What causes this? To me, the dial looks original (not reprinted?) but I don't know what to look for. I can only assume they were rubbed away through cleaning at some point.

^ Dial was cleaned

^ Dial was cleaned
Right. I wasn't sure whether this meant washed out (as in from sun) or being cleaned. Well, in my mind it is probably nicer to have a cleaned original dial than one that has been reprinted.

Looks like the original seller reposted with a big markup
Edited:

Posted for sale now with a 25% markup on C24 after deleting the photos here and also not mentioning that the dial has been cleaned in the new post? Is that you?

No. I returned the watch. I deleted the photos to protect both myself and the seller in the refund process. What they charge is their business and not mine.

No. I returned the watch. I deleted the photos to protect both myself and the seller in the refund process. What they charge is their business and not mine.
Ah okay, my bad. Good work, will edit my post.