My new Speedmaster '57

It's really difficult to find the new Speedy '57 in stores or boutiques, so I put it on my wishlist on the Omega web site. Last night I got a notice that it was available for order! Woo hoo!!!!!

So I go online and sure 'nuf, the blue on bracelet is available, free shipping, and before I can enter in my credit card information I start getting second thoughts (it is a lot of money and with a large lug-to-lug measurement, may be too big for me) and so I deferred the purchase as all intelligent and savvy shoppers do.

Natch, this morning it's no longer available. 🙁

I know that $9K is peanuts compared to a Rolex, or a ceramic Speedy, or a gold Seamaster... take your pick, there are a lot more expensive watches out there. There are also a lot of less expensive ones out there, especially if I go pre-owned.

Dang. I kind of wish I had been more impulsive, but unfortunately most of the time when I do buy on impulse, it ends up as a regret. Even with free returns, I still couldn't get over the price.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME?!?!?! 🤨 Since when is a watch a logical purchase rationally debated? 🫨

Hard to see how this would be considered an impulse purchase, you've thought long and hard about it, been on the list, and then when one is available, you freeze. It would seem that you really aren't that enamored with it after all. But it would have had a full return possibility if you didn't like it, I would have bought it and worn it around the house for a couple of days to see if it was something I really wanted. If not send it back at Omega's expense, no harm, no foul.
Edited:

Sounds like you listened to your gut/intuition. Like Evitzee said above, maybe it's not the one you really want after all...

They come up on the Omega site every few weeks. The next time it comes up you can buy it or not. It's not like it is rare and hard to get. If you don't buy it after balking this time then that it a good sign you want something else.

Me (for whatever it's worth to you), I take that as a sign to Ponder it further while looking at other watches... like The Universe saying, "Take your time, even more time."

By the way, what size wrist do you have?

By the way, what size wrist do you have?

Tiny. Like 6.5 inches, flat, but more than a 40mm watch typically looks big on me.

Tiny. Like 6.5 inches, flat, but more than a 40mm watch typically looks big on me.

6.5 here as well... we ain't tiny bro - perfect size for pickpocketing, holding the hands of the most beautiful women on earth and aerodynamically perfect for kicking ass in a street fight.

'57 will be okay on you because you state that your wrist is flat -- flat is critical with the heritage style lugs.
Edited:

In rotation since January and I freaking adore this watch. 6.5” wrist. Bracelet is very comfortable. I keep the chrono running constantly (hashtag yolo). No regrets.

IMG_6040.jpeg

Wishlist? All I see is contact a boutique and all they say is not available

all I have to say is google this:

Very nice watch and easy to wear, they are around but prices have crept up in the last couple of years. There are even a couple of BNIB ones on C24. With the 1957 Trilogy you get the original case size, hesalite crystal and 1861 movement with the three sub dials, like the original 1957 model. With the new Speedmaster '57 you get a much more up to date and accurate movement, date, sapphire back and a slightly bigger case. Take your pick, they are somewhat similar price wise, just depends on what features you like. Old timey version vs. modern iteration.
Edited:

In rotation since January and I freaking adore this watch. 6.5” wrist. Bracelet is very comfortable. I keep the chrono running constantly (hashtag yolo). No regrets.

IMG_6040.jpeg

How do you like the setup of the subdials? I would think having the hours and minutes on one subdial makes reading the chronograph easier if you are actually timing something?

6.5 here as well...

'57 will be okay on you because you state that your wrist is flat -- flat is critical with the heritage style lugs.

Yeah, I gotta stop thinking it's 6.5. I just measured and it's barely 6.

Yeah, I gotta stop thinking it's 6.5. I just measured and it's barely 6.

Always Add never subtract.

How do you like the setup of the subdials?

Love it. Layout is balanced, to my eye at least. The increment of the minutes and hours is smooth — doesn’t attempt to jump at the 60 second mark — and having them combined in one dial lets it double as a plausible second time zone.

You guys are, well most of you, a bunch of enablers. 😀

Next time I get the notice from Omega, I need to just order it. Life is short, Yolo, etc. As Evitzee suggested, if it doesn't work for me, then I just send it back!

As Evitzee suggested, if it doesn't work for me, then I just send it back!

I agonized over mine for months. Did much the same as you; got the email, noodled on it, watched it go out of stock again. Equal parts relieved and unfulfilled.

My OB finally got one in. I was so hoping I’d find dealbreakers, but the real life was so much nicer than photos and videos I’d seen. Had to have it.

Movement has been crazy accurate and it rests every other day dial-up then crown-up and going like that keeps it basically dead on.

Keep us posted. 👍

It's really difficult to find the new Speedy '57 in stores or boutiques, so I put it on my wishlist on the Omega web site. Last night I got a notice that it was available for order! Woo hoo!!!!!

So I go online and sure 'nuf, the blue on bracelet is available, free shipping, and before I can enter in my credit card information I start getting second thoughts (it is a lot of money and with a large lug-to-lug measurement, may be too big for me) and so I deferred the purchase as all intelligent and savvy shoppers do.

Natch, this morning it's no longer available. 🙁

I know that $9K is peanuts compared to a Rolex, or a ceramic Speedy, or a gold Seamaster... take your pick, there are a lot more expensive watches out there. There are also a lot of less expensive ones out there, especially if I go pre-owned.

Dang. I kind of wish I had been more impulsive, but unfortunately most of the time when I do buy on impulse, it ends up as a regret. Even with free returns, I still couldn't get over the price.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME?!?!?! 🤨 Since when is a watch a logical purchase rationally debated? 🫨
I do not understand why Omega does this. So the back orders from people waiting for months at boutiques for this reference are not prioritized and fulfilled first? It’s available for purchase online at Omega for any random person who has not been in line waiting that stumbles upon it in a search?

Not referring to you since you were on a waiting list. However if I’m just surfing and happen to catch the website at the right time on the right day I can score the reference before people that have been waiting for months and have put a deposit down? Strange business practice.

I’ve been in wholesale distribution most of my career, backorders getting fulfilled before releasing stock for sale to everyone is standard practice and the right thing to do for most manufacturers and distributors.

I do not understand why Omega does this.

My only thought is that when Omega sells it to me at retail from their website, they more than double their profit.