Forums Latest Members
  1. colonel Jan 23, 2023

m2081ba.jpg
    This is my first vintage watch and I am really thrilled with it. It is light, accurate and svelte, whilst still having somewhat modern dimensions.
    1000009857.jpg
    The Omega Seamaster 166.067 was a popular model manufactured between 1969 and 1973, which still remains popular today with collectors. They are also reasonably good value making them a great first vintage addition to any collection, ranging between £500 and £3000 depending on condition, most being under £1,500.
    1000009861.jpg
    Unusually for a Seamaster there is no bezel or round case with straight lugs, but rather a tonneau case with more modern sweeping lugs. This was a large watch for the era, at 36mm, with 44mm lug to lug and a 18mm lug width for the strap, most watches at the time being 28mm or smaller. This could explain its popularity today, as although I think it wears more like a 34mm, it does not look out of place on a “modern wrist”.
    1000009860.jpg
    It was only made in steel and gold capped versions. Gold cap is a real gold layer, rolled over stainless steel. It does not fade or wear off like gold plate. No gold plate or solid gold versions were produced. The dial provided more variety, with white and sunburst versions of silver, cream and white. There were some special “sparkle” dials produced near the end of its run.
    1000009863.jpg
    The calibre 565 mechanism is known as an incredibly robust movement. 565 watches are known to be picked up after 50 years of no use, and just start working in good time. Part of this is also down to the good quality sealing of the 166.067 case, rated at 60m, which was quite advanced for the time. Note that the recommendation is that the movement should be fully serviced for longevity, even if it appears to be working fine after decades of no use.
    The automatic movement does not hack, but can be wound if needed. There is an interesting “quick change” date mechanism. When the crown is pulled out to the maximum position 3, it “clicks” the date forward one day.
    1000009866.jpg
    What I like about my version is the dial is its in perfect condition. The Perspex has a few scratches, but its kind of cute, so not so axed to replace it right at the moment.
    The dial on my version is stunning. It is a sunburst light satin silver. The applied indices are made up of two gold rods sandwiching a back metal centre. The hands are also gold encasing black rods. Omega made two versions, a tritium and non-tritium version. This dial is the tritium version, with tiny tritium circles at the end of each index, and a lozenge on the minute and hour hand. They have long ceased to glow, with a half life of only 12 years, but under a UV lamp they can still be made to glow for a short time, identifying their placing. Looking carefully at the bottom of the dial where is says “Swiss Made”, you can see a “T” before and after. This was a requirement of swiss watches after 1962 to identify Tritium, and also certifies it is below 25 millicurie, unable to even penetrate the Perspex glass.
    1000009867.jpg
    Yes, the glass is Perspex. It is common on watches from this era, and is easy enough to replace by a competent jeweller if required. This does accentuate the sunburst under different light conditions.
    1000009859.jpg
    The data window is boarded by a gold rectangle and is a black font on white, easy to read. The gold of the window and hands blends with the gold of the case, which is polished and curves round the sides. No straight slab sides here, but also no chamfering of any kind. The beautiful piece is finished off with a small crown.
    1000009854.jpg
    I don’t buy a watch to show off, but funnily enough, I have had far more comments about this watch then all the others I have ever had put together, not to mention that this is relatively one of the cheapest watches I have ever bought. Just goes to show that money can’t buy class ……

jaguar11, Spruce, janice&fred and 3 others like this.
  2. Passover Jan 23, 2023

Nice looking watch, good write up also!

Will even look better after a bit Polywatch use on the crystal ;)

colonel likes this.
  3. colonel Jan 23, 2023

Poly watch phase 1
    1000009889.jpg

janice&fred and Spruce like this.