Forums Latest Members
  1. Jans Jun 14, 2012

After deciding against the Constellation I posted the other day, I ultimately bought what I'd originally been chasing: an automatic Seamaster in steel with an off-white face, gold hardware.

On the whole I'm very pleased with it but, since this is my fist vintage watch, I'd love to hear any observations and opinions. Assuming it's a keeper, I'd like to get the hands and the face cleaned (note the "cloudy" discolouration around the Omega logo, particularly). Is this feasible? For clarity, I don't want or expect it to look like new, but I think looking a little cleaner would elevate it from nice to perfect (for me).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the slightly crap photos. Poor light and ineptitude.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 14, 2012

Not sure how easy it'll be to clean the dial up, but I wouldn't be too bothered by that anyway. How's it keeping time?

3. Jans Jun 14, 2012

Meant to mention that. Lost a little the first day but then I suspect it hadn't gotten a proper winding. I made sure to give my wrist a good wiggle over breakfast this morning and it's kept perfect time all day.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 14, 2012

Nice, probably a cal 503.

These dials were silver plated with a clear lacquer protective finish and what tends to happen is a bit of moisture gets under the lacquer over time causing the discoloration, actually tarnish to the silver plating. Unfortunately its nearly impossible to reverse and just part of the charm of vintage.

Enjoy and welcome to the joy of vintage Omega ownership!

5. ulackfocus Jun 14, 2012

Concur with the 503. Consider this fair warning: Seamasters lead to Constellations.

6. Jans Jun 14, 2012

Thanks folks. Came damned close to getting that Constellation – do love those pie pan dials – but at basically twice what I paid for this and with a crosshair I'm not keen on I couldn't do it. And believe me, I have enough expensive tastes as it is without adding vintage watches to the list, but I am beginning to sense a certain inevitability about it.

7. alam Jun 14, 2012

a strong concur...

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 14, 2012

Some day my young friend, you'll look back, shake your head, and marvel at how cheap that Connie was.

9. rbird7282 Jun 14, 2012

Resistance is futile.................come to the Dark Side.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 15, 2012

You're going to be buying more... time to start tracking down a good local watchmaker ;)