Forums Latest Members

My new “trench dial” Constellation with DS&S bracelet

1. aprax Mar 10, 2019

Bought this watch in auction 10 days ago without having seen it “in the flesh”. I spent 3000 GBP and was afterwards afraid that I had gone too high. Now that I have received it, I am pleasantly surprised, and I feel I must post some photos for posterity :)

It has a “trench” minute track or “rail track” dial and an English bracelet like the one shown in this 1963 UK brochure and mentioned on page 9 of @mondodec’s essay on Constellation cases. The bracelet reveals itself to have been made by David Schackman & Sons (DS&S) and has indeed some presence. Most importantly, it is removable, so that you can wear the watch on a leather strap.

The dial is the most impressive feature in my mind, and the case (which bears Swiss hallmarks) is exceptionally sharp. I haven’t opened it though, so I can only surmise that it’s a 14381 with a 551 inside (though the case is very thin, could it possibly be a 7xx movement?). I’m sending it to Christian (http://watchguy.co.uk/) for a service and I’ll post some of the pictures of the inside that he’ll take.

Here’s the photos, the first comes from the auction house, the rest are mine:

IMG_0118.jpg P3091077 - Kopie.JPG P3091079 - Kopie.JPG P3091059 - Kopie.JPG P3091074 - Kopie.JPG P3091057 - Kopie.JPG

P3091053 - Kopie.JPG
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2019

Well, it certainly can't be a 700-series movt and you should be correct with the cal 551.

These dials are notorious for degrading and so being tampered with but you have a mirrored track and a grained dial - if it's correct then £3,000 for a gold connie with a rail track dial in that condition and an 18k gold bracelet is a bit of a bargain.
    (was that hammer price or all-in?)
    Check the hallmarks to see when the bracelet was produced -there should be a date letter somewhere - it should give you an idea if they were sold together.

The watch does look pretty splendid -congratulations.

Geezer, Mafkees, aprax and 2 others like this.
  3. Theluglife Mar 10, 2019

stunning!

aprax likes this.
  4. aprax Mar 10, 2019

@Peemacgee:
    You must be right, it couldn't be a 700-series, really. Hammer price was 2400, with premium etc. 3033.60 GBP.
    As to the bracelet, there are only two hallmarks on it, on both clasp ends: The crown hallmark as the traditional fineness symbol for gold and the 18 hallmark for the actual fineness, there is no letter. I suppose that at the time bracelets were exempt from official hallmarks, otherwise the assay office mark should have been there. I found another example in this thread.
    This is the other bracelet end:

P3091070 - Kopie.JPG

5. Sherbie Mar 10, 2019

Nice

But Shouldnt the bracelet also have UK hallmarks for both the the assay offfice mark, and a date letter?

aprax likes this.
  6. Davidt Mar 10, 2019

If it's pre the UK hallmarking Act 1973, stamping a full hallmark with assay office location and date stamp wasn't a legal requirement, so it not uncommon just to see the makers mark (DS&S), metal type (crown for gold) and the purity (18).

A simple "18ct" stamp was also commonplace.

The above stamp looks completely legit.

aprax, chronoboy64 and Peemacgee like this.
  7. BenBagbag Mar 10, 2019

Fantastic! ::love::

aprax likes this.
  8. chronoboy64 Mar 10, 2019

Nice catch, huge congrats and wear in good health :thumbsup:

aprax likes this.
  9. Mafkees Mar 10, 2019

This piece is superb. Congratulations!

aprax likes this.
  10. Hippocampus Mar 10, 2019

Most of the time I don’t care for the 3rd party produced gold bracelets but that one is exceptionally nice and has a neat provenance to it... and the dial is in exceptional shape. That’s a great catch!

aprax likes this.
  11. TimtimeIntl Mar 10, 2019

Wow! That observatory and stars! I really like that dial and only recently learned that dial existed.

aprax likes this.
  12. Edward53 Mar 11, 2019

Fantastic watch and very nice bracelet. I hope it fits you as that type of clasp is very unforgiving of wrist sizes. But I think the watch was just about worth the full price which would mean you got the bracelet free.

aprax likes this.
  13. aprax Mar 11, 2019

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments.

@Edward53: Sadly the bracelet does not fit my small wrist at all, with the watch it has a length of 20cm. But that's OK with me, I have a spare 18k buckle from the 60s left so I'll put the watch on a leather strap. Also, less bling :)