My mistake (Don’t sleep on it)

"You snooze, you lose"
Well, that’s a no brainer in buying collectibles. Buy it first and sort it out later.

Maybe in this case the OP couldn’t stop talking long enough to pay.

I guess I am paranoid because I would expect this to happen if the price is 1/5 or so. Either fake or someone else would buy it before me. Sending the photo to the expert just increased the chances.

Of course you need to be sure it's genuine, but in this case, the seller was really nice. So you could have asked him to reserve it while checking. Many times you won't have that option. Many sellers will not reserve items.

I've done the opposite of what you did and bought an expensive redial once because I thought someone would buy it before I do. We all make mistakes. In your case you still have the 1000$. In mine, I have a redial which eventually I will fix by swapping the dial with an original. Which will cost more.

I suggest a reading/writing test before being able to join. The giant wall of text reminds of YouTube videos where the rambling just goes on.

And on.

And on.

"You snooze, you lose"

Instructions unclear. Stopping sleeping = nonstop winning?

Instructions unclear. Stopping sleeping = nonstop winning?
I can tell you from experience that it doesn’t work that way.

We can’t have everything, where the hell would we put it all.

We can’t have everything, where the hell would we put it all.
I think the bigger problem is that it probably wouldn't make you happy if you can't interact with it. Like if you had your own watch museum and you could go and take any of the watches and wear them, would you have the time to look at all of them or wear them or the time to appreciate them?

Personally I make up all kinds of preferences and so on to be able to limit mine to a manageable number. For example I choose to not collect certain movements, case shapes, etc.

Like at the moment, I don't have any chronographs but I've decided to not get more than few if I ever get to it. And it would probably be quartz because I don't feel like servicing mechanical ones(unless I someday learn to do it myself.. who knows?)

So even if you have the space for it, at some point (even it's a 1000 watches) you would want to downsize or so. Or otherwise I think you would see them as commodity and only care a lot for up to 50. Basically if you had 1000s of rare watches they would stop feeling rare. 😂

At this point, I think it would probably make me happier to learn to service the watches I have. But I need to get tools and not more watches first.

So all in all, I no longer care much if I miss out on a watch like I did before.

I think the bigger problem is that it probably wouldn't make you happy if you can't interact with it. Like if you had your own watch museum and you could go and take any of the watches and wear them, would you have the time to look at all of them or wear them or the time to appreciate them?

Personally I make up all kinds of preferences and so on to be able to limit mine to a manageable number. For example I choose to not collect certain movements, case shapes, etc.

Like at the moment, I don't have any chronographs but I've decided to not get more than few if I ever get to it. And it would probably be quartz because I don't feel like servicing mechanical ones(unless I someday learn to do it myself.. who knows?)

So even if you have the space for it, at some point (even it's a 1000 watches) you would want to downsize or so. Or otherwise I think you would see them as commodity and only care a lot for up to 50. Basically if you had 1000s of rare watches they would stop feeling rare. 😂

At this point, I think it would probably make me happier to learn to service the watches I have. But I need to get tools and not more watches first.

So all in all, I no longer care much if I miss out on a watch like I did before.
Ya it’s been 7 months I’ve been separated from the bulk of my collection due to a series of unexpected events. During that time I picked up two more minor catches, traded a few with the great @allwoundup and am sitting on a purchase until I figure out a family members medical bills.

It really bothered me for a few months now I just accept I’ll get them soon enough. Having or not having a watch isn’t going impact my life in any major way.

Having said that being in the OP’s shoes isn’t fun I was in the middle of a couple deals on Reddit that got swept from under me. I was upset for a day or so but they were not particularly rare or an amazing deals like the OP’s that can sting.