Forums Latest Members

My latest purschase and some questions

1. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Nov 23, 2014

Today during my visit to my local flea-market I bought this Zenith Defy for 200 euros which is the equivalent to 260$:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The serial number in the back is 250E897. This watch is certainly not in great shape. The case has some scratches which I believe that with a light polish they will leave and I am pretty sure that the dial is refinished. Normally I don't buy watches with refinished dials but I haven't seen many examples of this watch here in my local flea-market and I thought that the price was good. So here are my questions about this watch:
    1) What should be the original dial;
    2) Did I overpay for this watch;
    3) Do you see any other fault that I haven't seen;

Thank you in advance

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 23, 2014

This is a Zenith Defy in the octagonal, or so-called "Miura" case. "Miura" because 1) the design epitomizes exotic design of the 1970s, and 2) you either love it or hate it. It is a redial and the crown is replaced. These first generation Defys come with a variety of different-colored dials, each with slightly different dial furniture. The original dial on this one would have been charcoal black, making it a ref: A 3645. It would have looked like this:

[​IMG]

As for the price, in good shape these make about USD800-1000 with bracelet. The value of this one is in the parts. The movement is worth a very few bucks as there are a lot of them around. The case is pretty beaten-up, as are most of these, but preserves its lines. Someone might pay a few bucks for it. The other alternative is to find a new dial - I can't hold up much hope for you there. I haven't seen replacement dials in a very long while.