Forums Latest Members

My Latest Purchase - An Oversized Medico-Compax (Plus - Some Questions & The Joys of eBay)

1. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com Jun 30, 2013

Gentlemen,

My love for Universal is well documented, and my collection continues to grow. Just last week I purchased a new (to me) Universal Geneve chronograph that I wanted to share with you all for a few reasons. I welcome all feedback on this and if something doesn't look right to you, please do let me know. I'm not above getting schooled, believe me :)

The watch is an oversized Medico-Compax in what I believe to be just superb original condition.

[​IMG]

The watch is quite large at AT LEAST 37.5mm and the printing of the pulsation scale is thick and rich. What's more "Graduated for 15 pulsations" is written in Spanish, which i've never seen before - but that's not the really interesting point of this watch (it came from a seller in Buenos Aires, so makes sense it's in Spanish.)

The REALLY interesting aspect of this watch is, in my opinion, the case. It is very clearly unpolished, and each lug has two "steps". Hopefully these photos will better show you what i mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have just never seen anything like this on a Universal chronograph. And, I quickly (maybe too quickly - I was in a rush to take these photos and get them up online) looked in Sala's book and saw nothing like this anywhere. Or, specifically in the Medico-Compax section. Have any of you seen a case like this before?

I have to say, i just LOVE this watch. It even rivals my other oversized pink gold UG - my "Climate-Proof" that I showed you here: http://omegaforums.net/threads/latest-universal-pick-up-the-climate-proof-compax.4545/

I will add that perhaps the reason that I had some doubt about this watch (though it is quickly passing) is because, well...I bought it on eBay, from South America, for next to nothing. It was listed at $1975, which i though to be a good deal, I offered $1500 (just to be a jerk) and they came back with $1850, which i happily accepted. The watch arrived from Argentina four days later and I was blown away by the condition...here is the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321144438803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Here are a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At a quick glance, it looks like the watch dates to about 1957-58, but I'm curious what the extra digits in the reference number mean. Maybe the "3" is the code for spanish market"? Compared to my Climate-Proof you can see the reference is close (124113 vs 124116 3) and indeed the watches are very similarly sized.

[​IMG]

Any information that can be provided on the additional reference number digit, the use and rarity of these beautiful stepped lug cases, or spanish-dial Medico Compax watches would be wonderful. I do plan on spending some time with the Sala book tomorrow but I thought i'd post and get your guys feedback first. I should say that I believe this watch to be original, and I believe at $1850, I got one hell of a deal, because this thing is beautiful to my eyes. But again, don't hold back on anything you see that I may have missed.

Have a great Sunday!

- Ben

(One more pic of my two oversized, gold UG chronos)

[​IMG]

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 30, 2013

Good pick-up! I saw this watch and was sorely tempted by it... I had just bought a similar Zenith, though, and I let my Argentinophobia get the better of me.

I haven't seen this particular set-up before, but it looks kosher to me.
    There is one with a similar dial here:

http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=65798875#entry533353336

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2013

Square pushers tend to be the worst in terms of sealing moisture and dust wise, that watch must have been kept in a safe dry place for most of its life to be looking that sharp after all this time, although I'm no UG expert, the dial and its light patina look excellent.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 30, 2013

I too do not see any glaring tells of monkey-business. The case appears legit - you can see the same lug design the Uni-Compax section on page 211 as ref 124118/1 and 124108. The serial and model numbers are plausibly paired. The dial is pukka.

I'd want to see the marks on the inside of the caseback for completeness' sake, but I'd say it's a good buy.

5. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2013

Ooooo, I like the facets on those lugs. 2 register chrono too! ::love:: Why they put such boring hands on it I'll never know though. ::confused2::

6. alam Jun 30, 2013

::love:: Nothing wrong with a 37.5mm watch In my books.....if this begins to bother younin the future just let me know! ;-)

7. Jimmy M Jul 1, 2013

That is the latest model Medico Compax I have seen. With the big letter U, a date of 1957-58 sounds right. Most of the Medico Compax models I have seen are from the 1940s. Very cool watch, congratulations!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2013

And thankfully keeping them away from the furnaces

citizenrich likes this.
  9. Jimmy M Jul 13, 2013

In the book Chronograph Wristwatches To Stop Time by Lang and Meis I just came across a photo of a Medico Compax either identical to, or closely resembling this one, including the Spanish language Graduado Para 15 Pulsaciones. It says the watch is circa 1950 and 38mm