Forums Latest Members
  1. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 17, 2013

A little while ago a Speedmaster showed up locally for sale. The pics were terrible, the watch was missing 2 hands and the seller was a bit vague in replying to questions as to why :cautious: I was unable to watch the end of the auction so I got a buddy to put a cheeky bid in and won it. The nervous wait began and it took longer than normal for a local sale but it finally got here the other day. Since I'm over the Moon about finally owning my first vintage Speedmaster I thought I'd throw up a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took it to my watchmaker soon as the courier dropped it off and had him check it out. The movement is running perfectly and does not need a service. I've since timed the power reserve and it ran for over 50hrs. The posts for the missing hands have not been damaged so that was another worry off my mind.

The crystal is incorrect so I've ordered the right one. Unless I can find a used chronograph seconds hand I'm going to have to buy a new one which is going to look out of place so I'm considering buying a complete set to use while I wait for a used one to show up. It is missing the case back seal too and I haven't found one for it yet but they must be out there somewhere.

So the plan is, new crystal, hands, caseback seal, sort out the pushers and then remove the 40yrs of Man Grime with maybe a very light polish. I really like how it wears, it's the perfect size for my 8.5" wrist and these watches are a strap changers dream. I know it's not collection worthy for most here but it will make a good daily wearer that I don't have to baby which suits me fine. Thanks for looking and let the critique commence :p

Regards

CS

TLIGuy and citizenrich like this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2013

Don't fall for that! The mainspring is strong enough to drive the wheel train even if there's no lubrication! You're asking for a problem if there isn't enough oil, especially in the escapement. Please make sure it's properly oiled. I'd bet it's been sitting around drying / gumming up for a long time.

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 17, 2013

That's a sharp transitional. Nice catch. ... congrats. I won't touch the case if I were you.

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 17, 2013

it would be cool if you did a photo - restoration project essay from start to finish. Make sure you keep the original pics from the advertisement and keep a dated journal of the work with narrative.

at the end, organize everything into blog format.

good luck, Scruts!!!

5. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 17, 2013

I know what you're saying Dennis. He checked to make sure it isn't dry while I was there, I tested the power reserve myself after he said the movement was running sweetly. I get him to check all my vintage watches as soon as they arrive, he lives 10 minutes down the road. He worked for the largest Omega dealer here in the 70's & 80's and owns a few nice vintage Omega and Certina watches himself. He will always say if it needs to be serviced or not so I trust him. The seller told me he bought it from the original owner who had stored it for 20yrs. He had it serviced by the place that does all the AD work here a few years ago but I didn't believe him tbh. I still haven't worked out why he removed the hands and then lost them but he is a retired jeweler :eek:

6. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 17, 2013

Thanks and advice heeded.

Cheers Citizen, I am keeping a record of everything so I'll do a follow up when it's all done. Here is one of the sellers pics after blowing it up. They were small but you could see what it was

[​IMG]

7. sohail Aug 19, 2013

Nice..

8. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 11, 2013

Well this has been an interesting journey. I have had help with parts from 2 of the forums members. deerworrier had a hour register hand left over from one of his watches and michael e kindly offered to give me a chrono seconds hand with matching lume. Mick also sourced and sent me a correct new crystal and a case back gasket.

[​IMG]

When the parts arrived they went off to my watch guy who stripped the movement down, cleaned, oiled and adjusted it and sorted out the pushers.

[​IMG]

The dial has a few tiny marks and some bubbling around the edges.

[​IMG]

Then the case was cleaned and I had the caseback opening scars removed because they would only bug the hell out of me if I left them there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over all I'm really happy with the results. I really like this watch, especially how it is modern sized yet still fits under a shirt cuff. I would like to thank those who helped me out with my first Speedmaster Pro.

Cheers

9. Dablitzer Sep 11, 2013

Nice end result! I have to find me one of these. This one really cleaned up good. Bravo!

10. AMBwatches Sep 11, 2013

Great result, and very nice band on the wrist shot!

11. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 11, 2013

Cheers gents. The wrist shot leather is a Hadley Roma from HPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkere.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2013

Great bands for these as the don't look too modern for the age of the watch, I have one on a 2998.

13. Poday Sep 12, 2013

Outstanding results! I admire you for jumping in to something that could have been an endless money pit and coming out on top. I don't know that I would have the courage to take the risk.