Forums Latest Members

My Latest "Next Watch" Musings

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 23, 2015

Greetings, all! For those who haven't heard my story the million times I've told it...and I'll keep it brief...
    I have bought/sold/traded/added cash and climbed the ladder of Horological Excellence for 30 years. I now own my grail watch (Patek Philippe Nautilus chrono 5980/1A) and have neither an interest in selling/trading it, nor pursuing a second "pie-in-the-sky" grail. But as many here know/accept, there's no such thing as one watch.
    I began (almost immediately after acquiring my grail) to buy Hamilton chronographs (and one 3-hander I gave my wife). They're great looking and good quality for the price (caliber 7750 movements which I love). I have now sold 3 of the 4 I bought, and may or may not sell the fourth (the fourth is a Pan Europ chrono which I sent back for service after 3 days for stopping twice). To the point, I will soon have a Next Watch budget of $3,000 USD.
    I have assembled a list of options, and would appreciate commentary on the choices as well as advice on what others to consider.
    In no particular order (okay, starting with Omega since this is the Omega Forum):
    1) Omega Speedmaster 861/1861: Had a few old 321's and loved them, but they were sacrificed for the grail. And 321's are out of my budget. Not sure if I can get in to "stepped dial" territory for $3k, but certainly an 80's-90's example would be in the budget.
    2) Omega Speedmaster 125 Anniversary: Had one. Great brick. Loved it, but again, sacrificed for the grail. Love the idea of limited number/first automatic chronograph chronometer, and I think the style is phenomenal (a matter of taste to be sure).
    3) IWC Porsche Design Titan: doubt I'll find many admirers here, but one of my all-time favorites. Yes it's just a Valjoux 7750 movement, but massaged by IWC it's as good as a great movement can be. Flush pushers, recessed crown, titanium case and bracelet. Another polarizing style I happen to admire greatly.
    4) Rolex Datejust: Only because I love Rolex and currently have none. Okay, I actually have liked the DJ's I've owned over the years. The 36mm size may be a bit of a turn-off for me these days though. And it's not a chronograph. The Daytona will be at the top of my list when my Next Watch budget reaches $12k in today dollars.
    5) Nomos: Never have seen one in the flesh much less tried one on. And I prefer center/sweep second hands (all Nomos I have seen are sub-seconds models). I like the Bauhaus design although I prefer the lugs of a Zurich or Orion model, like the 38 Datum. Do I dare drop coin on a watch I've never seen in person just because I like the pictures (and have heard many positive comments)?
    6) Barking mad's Zenith Rainbow Fly-Back: How much better does it get for the money than a Zenith El Primero Fly-Back chronograph? May be sold, may be returned to his rotation, I dunno. But I single his out because it's a good price and in budget. Not sure I wouldn't rather save more money and spring for a minty example, but his is honest and perfectly presentable. Guess I just really like a dark red hand and bezel versus the "tropical" pink color they fade to. Had a black one I liked except for the bracelet. But these are frequently over $3k for nice ones.
    7) Insert your pick here, and tell me why!
    Something else to consider: as I see it, and as my 30-year collecting history has shown, I'll be selling this $3k Next Watch when I save more Watch Money (as opposed to household). Not that liquidity has ever been my concern (I lose money frequently when I "flip") but should I consider that this time around?
    Looking forward to responses from those who stayed awake through my rambling! Thanks!

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 23, 2015

All good choices! As I'm mainly a speedy guy, I'd vote for a speedy. For a few bucks more than budget you might be able to find a 145.022-69. That's probably what I'd be hunting for.

I've also recently taken a shining to the 145.017 DeVille. It's a two register chrono with th cal 860. Very nice, though maybe smaller than what you're looking for. They seem to be hard to come by, so maybe the hunt would keep you busy for a while. ;)

Omega DeVille 145.017.jpg

Edit: I should add, pricing on these seems to be all over the map. From about $2500 to like $5000. But you may be able to find one in your budget.

3. persco Jul 23, 2015

I'd go with a tritium dial Speedy, late 80's 90's vintage. Or a Nomos.

4. SeanO Jul 23, 2015

you haven't said much about how it's going to be worn. Casual, business, don't care?

I'd think about a cal 89 IWC. they seem understated and they're a real WIS watch as well. either that or one of the C Case IWC auto's that will wear a little larger.

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 23, 2015

I've gleaned a couple of things from your manifesto: you like chronographs, and you like black and red together. The Rainbow Flyback is a terrific watch... I can't think of another black/red chrono I like better...
    [​IMG]
    ...except a Jardur Bezelmeter.
    [​IMG]
    37mm, Valjoux 71, and trading under $3k at present... but not for long, I think.

toddle321, khmt2 and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  6. lecorbusier Jul 24, 2015

Item 3 on your list: this is the latest rendition of the model without recessed push in crown (trade-off is screwed in crown for better water resistance) and three positions adjustable titanium bracelet. And it is not a polarizing design at all--just ahead of its time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 24, 2015

That's the 3704, and I had one. I prefer the 3702, and it's because of the clasp on the bracelet.
    See the screw that holds the bracelet to the clasp? When I rested my wrist on the desk at work, it broke skin and drew blood!
    But it's great to see I'm not the only admirer of the Titan!

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 25, 2015

This week, the IWC Titan and (especially) the Zenith Rainbow Flyback have been on my mind. Next week? Hmmm...

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2015

Zenith imo, or possibly an LE Speedmaster, there are some interesting ones around that price range that are a bit of a twist on the traditional moonwatch.

Time Exposure likes this.
  10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 26, 2015

There do seem to be a number of Limited Edition models that don't carry much of a premium over the standard issue. Is it for lack of demand? I have noticed some "limited" runs seemed to have rather high limits!