Forums Latest Members

My Late Grandfather's Vintage Omega - 1969 Omega Deville I Think, Looking For Advice On All Fronts

1. hurtkings Dec 6, 2012

Warning: Omega ignorant first-time poster
    A couple years back my Uncle gave me my Grandfather's vintage Omega as my high school graduation gift. I never had the chance to meet him but I've heard a lot about him and how similar I am to him, so this watch means a great deal to me.
    hSqF5h.jpg qNfSSh.jpg BUV0jh.jpg hLjZfh.jpg

I'm fairly certain it is this model:
    Screen shot 2012-12-02 at 5.12.36 PM.png

It looks like its in pretty rough shape. Also, sorry for the sub-par quality, my phone is the only camera I have access to right now.

Since my financial situation now is better than in high school, I want to get it restored. A local watchmaker estimated $300+ for it, but the dial itself needs work as well; the gold casing around the day-date feature seems to have elevated so its no longer flush, and I think this has forced the hour hand to bend upwards and now the minute hand gets caught on it in passing, which causes the watch to lose time.
    My questions are:
    • Would it be safe to have a local watchmaker work on it, or should I send it off to Omega?
    • What do you guys think needs to be done for it to be fully restored? And at what cost?
    • I haven't been able to find this model anywhere else on the internet, do you guys know anything more about it?
    • This may be a question beyond the vast knowledge of you Omega enthusiasts, but what do you think it's worth? Even just a rough estimation, just for personal knowledge since I don't think I'll ever consider selling it.

2. smithrjd Dec 6, 2012

I would go to an independant watchmaker who is familiar with Omega's. They are not really any different from other watches of the era. As an heirloom value is not that important as the value to you. The case can be cleaned up, the crystal replaced and the movement serviced. The dial is a bit more of an issue. Cleaning carefully is OK most do not suggest more than that. Depending on where you are at suggestions can be made as to a good watchmaker.

3. MyVintageOmega Dec 6, 2012

4. hurtkings Dec 6, 2012

So that's what it looks like all cleaned up eh, I like it.

@smithrjd - The sentimental value will always trump the monetary value, I was just looking for something more concrete than based on the fact that its old and gold ahah
    I go to school in London, Ontario but my home is in Toronto, so any recommendations to a good watchmaker in either of those two cities would be greatly appreciated.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 6, 2012

The value is likely melt + a small amount, so over 1k, under 2k. I don't know any Canadian watchmakers, but south of the border we've got a good one in NJ.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 6, 2012

Privateday7 and hurtkings like this.
  7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 6, 2012

8. hurtkings Dec 6, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the reference. I looked him up and he's in St. Thomas which is about 30 minutes outside of London. I'll definitely be contacting him to inquire about it.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 7, 2012

I've heard good things about Archers.

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 7, 2012

Ill add I really like the black hour markers on gold dials.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 7, 2012