Forums Latest Members

My last watch: planet ocean or new Seamaster 300?

1. jcmartinez98 Aug 24, 2014

What should I get next?

what I want is essentially a forever, daily watch, that I don't need to take off jump into the pool the ocean.

I will not dive with it.

I think both of these are great-looking dive watches. I love functionality and tend to avoid things that are affected. (Which is why the helium release valve has always kind of bothered me. I understand why it's there, and I understand that it's a nod to its history, but seriously, what percentage of wearers use that??)

I know that I am on a slippery slope, with my recent introduction into the watch world being the Darkside of the Moon watch, but I don't think I will ever be a true collector like many of you are. I think I may very well be able to get one more watch that never needs to come off, and call it after that.

In either instance, I would probably get a black rubber deployment buckle, as I very much like the look and feel of those.

I understand the coolness of the anti-magnetic properties of the new Seamaster 300, but honestly I don't see a lot of functionality in that either

so, help me out
    which one should be my "one and done?"

2. taz101 Aug 24, 2014

I just went for the Seamaster. Always wanted one and while the PO is also beautiful, I just don't see why it costs nearly twice as much. Just my thoughts.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  3. jcmartinez98 Aug 24, 2014

The brand-new Seamaster 300 will probably run the same as the planet ocean

4. taz101 Aug 24, 2014

Not sure where you are but the Seamaster in th UK is £2770rrp with the PO starting at £3800

5. ctime3 Aug 24, 2014

i have the same issue. My thoughts are anti mag or nothing. But since the PO is certified and it has the si14 is it going to be really that different in function than the anti mag? The no date kills me though. I will be watching this thread

6. jcmartinez98 Aug 24, 2014

To clarify, I mean a brand new planet ocean vs the not-yet-released new seamaster 300.

the 2 shown below.
    My understanding is that the price will be about equivalent.

image.jpg image.jpg
  7. ctime3 Aug 24, 2014

I understand. Maybe a $500 increase similar to the aqua terra and the new aqua terra master co axial? The current PO retail is $6,250 It's a double edge sword. I hate the no date but its a master co axial compared to the current PO. Then another difficult question what size to choose? I like the 42mm some like the 45.5 but it sits high and with dress shirts its big

8. taz101 Aug 24, 2014

Oh I see. This is the one I just bought.

photo.JPG

LeDave, Diverdown and jcmartinez98 like this.
  9. abritdownunder Aug 24, 2014

I've been looking at both these watches too. They are both incredible watches but, just on looks alone, I went with the Planet Ocean.

10. Wetworks Aug 25, 2014

Couple of things from me based on the OP's initial post. First off, you said you don't particularly care for affectation, yet the new 300 is deliberately made to appear vintage, which in my mind is a huge affectation, probably a big part of why I don't care for it personally. Secondly, it lacks date functionality, which is also a big turn off for me as I find a date on a watch to be almost as practical as its ability to tell time.

Now, if you were looking to collect I would say buy what you like now and fill niche X with something else later. But since you stated you aren't, I'd recommend the PO as it seems to meet your needs better than the 300.

11. jcmartinez98 Aug 25, 2014

great advice. thanks. I agree that no date is bad, especially since the plan would be to make it be the forever daily wear watch. could almost be a deal breaker, which saddens me b/c o/w i love the look.

i do understand what you mean about the 'vintage' design falling under the 'affectation' column, but i since i actually like the look, and that's just the face of the watch (which is necessary) for me that's not a turnoff. the faux patina IS the kind of affectation that bugs me a bit.

plus, the 600m vs 300m rating, to me suggests at least some more rugged quality to the PO. i live at the beach am in water very often. i know i'll never dive that deep, but much has been written about what the rating REALLY means, and with the danger posed by being next to a jacuzzi jet, splashing playing throwing catching kids in the pool, etc. this also makes me lean toward PO.

thanks again.

12. tinger Aug 25, 2014

I think if its going to be your daily watch the new sm300 is much better choice despite the lack of date.
    The PO besides being pretty thick, the whole HE valve thingy is really out of place if you need to wear a sports jacket, etc.

13. Bullsfan Aug 25, 2014

I'm with the OP on this dilemma. I have been a collector for some years of some very good watch brands but nothing vintage, unless the '90s are considered. I have now chosen to get rid of the flock to have just one watch to do it all, tired of moving back and forth. I live by the ocean and I do dive as well as swim in the back yard pool. I recently sold my Rolex LV and used some of the money to pay off some debts and purchased a pre-owned 42mm PO. I like the look of the watch and the versatility of it, changing straps and bracelets, knowing that it's not the cashe of the Rolex name is a good thing with me as well. I vote for the PO and he He valve doesn't bother me.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  14. Spy You know my name. Aug 26, 2014

If you have seen the new SM300 and like its look, then I would wait until early 2015 when it is finally for sale at AD's. It will be about $6,000. No HEV (yay!), but it has ceramic, polished and brushed steel, the easy link to adjust the size of the bracelet, and best of all; Master Co-Axial. After I get a Sub 114060, then I will hunt down a SM300.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 26, 2014

Liquid Metal bezel on the SM300, and micro-adjustable clasp

16. ctime3 Aug 26, 2014

I wonder if Omega will change the Planet ocean's to master co axial too next year because they claim most of the watches will be master by 2017

17. Spy You know my name. Aug 26, 2014

No doubt about it. One of the tech's at the OMEGA store told me so when I asked him. He also told me that the only quartz watches to stick around will be some of the women's Connie's.

18. ctime3 Aug 26, 2014

Yes and I would assume we are at least a year awy from the PO master co axial because of Basel 2015 and nothing to date?

19. Spy You know my name. Aug 26, 2014

He did not mention the PO specifically, but just OMEGA in general. All will be in-house and "Master" within the next several years.

20. jcmartinez98 Aug 26, 2014

what is it that's so special about master co-axial?