Forums Latest Members
  1. scundo Jul 9, 2016

I've wanted a Moonwatch as far back as I can remember. I'm 47 now. I grew up in the 70's and the Apollo astronauts were my heroes. The last moon missions had ended. I had every book, toy or model made relating to Apollo. I got my first watch when I was 7 because all the astronauts wore one. It didn't look anything like Buzz's watch but I liked it.

In my adult years I always wore a watch of some kind or another. Usually a digital of some kind. I didn't know from style. During the 80's I had worked at a fish market and the owner wore a two tone Rolex Submariner. I remember he would gently take it off when we were cutting fish and would slip it back on to wait on customers. He was an old school country club, steak and martini kind of guy. He had 4 stores back then. It was the first time I ever saw a real Rolex in person. It was so heavy. The two tone jubilee bracelet was gorgeous.

A few years later my future wife moved in with me. Having never really owned a "good" watch, she bought me a 1991 Swiss Army Officer's Watch on a brown leather strap for Valentines Day. An honest to God "Swiss Made" watch. I absolutely loved it. It never left my wrist. I wore it on our wedding day, in the Caribbean on our honeymoon, when we flew across the country to adopt our son and signing the papers for our first house. That watch reminds me of the most happy moments in my life. In all the pictures from that time, the SA is on my wrist. After many years of wear, it was hurting. I sent it out for a new crystal and service. I still have it and wear it once a week on average. It's not worth any money but its invaluable to me.

I started getting in to mechanical watches, like many of us, after buying an Invicta 8926 OB about 5 years ago. The impression from that two-tone Submariner still pretty strong in my mind. It's funny. The Invicta 8926 and the Seiko SKX007 seem to be the "gateway watches". I have a 007 too by the way :) Like many folks in this forum, I really wish I had gotten in to watches earlier in life. There are so many beautiful watches out there. Some examples I would really love to own. They are so expensive though. When people buy them as investment pieces they drive the price up so high that people who would truly appreciate them (and actually wear them) can't afford to be in the same room with them. The same thing happened with vintage guitars years ago and never recovered. I've been a player for 38 years and I can tell you that some of the best sounding guitars around you will never hear. That's because collectors (not players) have bought them all up and have them locked away.

For my 45th birthday, I was in for a surprise. My Father In Law handed me his 1973 MK III Speedmaster. He told me to wear it in good health. He bought this watch new and wore it for 40+ years. I was floored. I loved it. It is so unique looking. It's a frequent conversation starter. It was pretty whooped when Dad gave it to me. So I saved up some cash and I went to Omega and I had it restored. Since coming back it rarely leaves my wrist. I've owned this watch for almost 2 years now and I still catch myself just gazing at it. It's beautiful. Wearing this watch just wet my appetite. I got Moonwatch on the brain and I was 7 years old again. I love wearing the MKIII but it's tall and I have to pay attention not to hit door knobs with it.

I've worked 20 years for the same company in the IT field. I had been busting my ass above and beyond for the last 3 years. Thankfully, it was recognized and I was promoted. I've been trying to get this promotion for a long time. The Mrs., knowing how hard I worked and how much I wanted the Moonwatch, said to me on our vacation, "When we get home, why don't you go buy that watch you want. You've earned it. Mark this part of your life with something special. Something that will remind you of how hard you worked." We both work, we have a son, a mortgage, a car payment, tuition, bills..... You get the idea. When these watches first came out, they were considered tools. They weren't crazy expensive. Regular folks could afford them. These days they are considered "luxury watches" (as I hear Paul Pluta yelling "man on the f*cking moooooooon!!!!"). Items like this never got too high on the list of things I need. They were purely a want item. Sure I have an Omega but it was a gift. So I thanked her and didn't mention it again for a month. All that time I was online looking at Moonwatches and trying to justify the purchase in my head. Thankfully, online research, this site and countless YouTube personalities were all saying the same thing. Pre-owned is the way to go. So, I found WatchVault NYC through the Chrono24 website and the used Moonwatches they had were of really good quality. Jerome at WatchVault and I came to an agreement on price and it was done. Finally, after years of waiting, wanting, denying, justifying etc... I finally bought my dream watch. It's a 3570.50 from late 2005. Nothing unique or vintage but absolutely mint. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm very excited.

I will post some pictures once it gets here.

Edited Jul 10, 2016
  2. sky21 Jul 9, 2016

Congratulations to you, I know a lot of us will really enjoy sharing the pictures with you!

scundo likes this.
  3. ranxoren Jul 9, 2016

What a wonderful story. Congratulations on your purchase!
    I just purchased my first Speedy Pro this week as well (Mitsukoshi Panda Dial mod) and I can't believe I waited this long.
    I know finally get what all the hype is about. It's absolutely stunning in person and just sits so well on the wrist.

scundo likes this.
  4. Linzer Jul 9, 2016

Congrats on your new watch and thanks for sharing this story. It will be a well deserved Speedy. I'm sure one day it will give you just as much nice memories as the 1991 Swiss Army Officer's. It will also be a good companion to your MK III. :thumbsup:

scundo likes this.
  5. karnaukhov Jul 9, 2016

Mine says hi!

image.jpeg
    Pakiwi, dalethorn, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  6. Bushido Jul 9, 2016

Thank you very much for sharing your story and road to get where you are. You also worked through a very highly regarding seller and member of the community and so I'm certain you will not be disappointed on arrival. Looking forward to pics once it's on the wrist!

scundo likes this.
  7. scundo Jul 9, 2016

WOW :thumbsup: That MKIII is beautiful. Love the brush pattern on the case. That looks close to all original. Did you just have the crystal and gasket changed? Very, very nice. I do miss the original hands on mine. They had a lot more character.

karnaukhov likes this.
  8. karnaukhov Jul 9, 2016

I actually had a full service done through Omega last December. I was able to keep the original hands, dial, bracelet, case, etc. The only parts replaced (aesthetically) were the tachymeter, date wheel, and crystal.
    I love this watch. It's the epitome of vintage 70s IMO.

ahartfie and scundo like this.
  9. Maximus84 Jul 9, 2016

Such a great story, you will absolutely love the watch. My own journey was somewhat shorter, but I love this watch. It doesn't get a whole lot of attention, but when a couple of days ago, someone asked me 'is that a Speedmaster?' I couldn't help but smile and talk through the whole thing. We look forward to the pics.

scundo and karnaukhov like this.
  10. bigtang1 Jul 11, 2016

::psy::Fantastic !

scundo likes this.
  11. scundo Jul 12, 2016

Aaaaaaand here it is!!! One pic with the bracelet and the rest with the leather strap. The bracelet needs to be sized. Normally I can handle that but this thing is a beyotch to get the pin out of. I broke two of those metal bracelet tools. It will not budge. I don't want to booger it up. So, off to the jeweler the bracelet goes. Hence the leather strap that's on it now. The watch is absolutely flawless. Very, very happy. Such a beautiful watch in person. Glad I could share this experience with like minded fanatics :thumbsup:

IMG_0837.jpg IMG_0838.jpg IMG_0839.jpg IMG_0832.jpg IMG_0833.jpg

Edited Jul 12, 2016
    queriver, Bushido, sky21 and 4 others like this.
  12. Dufresne Jul 12, 2016

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us share the moment with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scundo likes this.
  13. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 13, 2016

Very nicely written opening post and I empathise with your obviously genuine enthusiasm for the Speedie - which I share, like many of us on here; (it's much more than just a timepiece.) Excellent photos too which amongst other things once again illustrates how good a Speedie looks on a strap. Unfortunately, getting one is just a prompt to start planning acquisition of your next, so you'd better keep your head down, secure a further promotion and get that bank balance prepared!

scundo likes this.
  14. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 13, 2016

Congrats for the final step ! Somehow this will be the first but surely not the last one you'll manage to offer yourself ;-)

Happy Speedyjourney !

scundo likes this.
  15. Ravineman Jul 13, 2016

great story and a beautiful watch. Enjoy it in good health !

scundo likes this.
  16. scundo Jul 14, 2016

Hahahahahahahaha. Somehow I think you may be right.

17. Bushido Jul 14, 2016

That Speedy looks damn fine on your wrist!

scundo likes this.
  18. Nactex Jul 16, 2016

Congratulations and yes a great story with a very happy ending, or is it just the beginning?

scundo likes this.
  19. woodacre1983 Jul 16, 2016

Great story and hope you enjoy such a beautiful watch for many years to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scundo likes this.