Forums Latest Members

My Impressions with some Basel 2017 Pieces

1. sensui May 14, 2017

This is a replicated post I made @ TRF, @ the request of some I'm posting here so people can see all the pictures mainly heh, was done more in detail there because the Rolex guys aren't as "caught up" as the Omega gang on the latest news:

Last night I attended an event hosted by Omega at a boutique. I have to be honest....it blew the socks off the Rolex event I went to. It was really all about the people there....true enthusiasts of the brand along with some very very interesting guests (how about the guy who is the son of the man who invented the official NASA certified Fisher space pen that the astronauts used, and still produced/used today, talk about an honor to talk to these guys). The food and drinks were a cut above the Rolex event as well and the people there pampered the heck out of my entire family (wife and kids), kudos to Omega on knowing how to throw a party......I also got to talk to some people in real life finally that I've been buddies with on forums so that was fun....and they brought some spectacular rare/vintage pieces as well.

I got to the event way early (by accident....I thought it started a hour before the actual starting time) so I actually got to look at the Basel pieces first....I had no idea they were going to be there, I was there for the 60th anniversary Speedmaster speech by Jean Claude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So really my main interest lies with the 57 Trilogy and Speed Tuesday. But the Apollo XVII 45th anniversary and the new Speedmaster Racing series looked really good in the flesh also.

The Speedy Tuesday looked great all around.....the things that stood out to me was the subdials is far more silver looking in real life and not very white at all. But it makes the radial subdials pop even more. The watch wears like you'd expect a Speedy Pro so that should be very familiar. I was not impressed with the Omega leather strap that comes with the watch but a custom cordura is going to make this watch an absolute killer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 57 Trilogy.....it is overwhelmingly nice. Seriously, I was blown away by the built and looks of the 3 watches in person. Not even sure where I should start......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I noticed about the trilogy. The matte dials are done extremely well, they look extremely vintage if you are used to vintage matte dials. The brushed center links on the bracelets with the polished borders really work and don't look too shiny IMO in real iife like some pictures look. The way the crystal looks is as expected on the Speedy with hesalite but wait until you see the domed sapphire crystals on the Railmaster and Seamaster....just WOW. It's done really well and has no hint of any milky white rings like the Speedy sapphire watches.....they do have a centered Omega symbol etched in the middle and stands out a tad too much IMO, but not a deal killer by far....I just wished it could be more subtle like a Rolex coronet on the crystal. Despite the way the cases are replicated (straight lugs and all), they fit on my small wrist extremely well and actually doesn't hang as much as you'd expect the straight lugs to. I think it has to do with them getting the profiles right by having the cases much thinner without the display caseback. Extremely comfortable and sleek and looks killer on my 6.375-6.5" wrist. Impressed they could have their Master Chronometer Coaxial movements that sleek on the Seamaster and Railmaster. There's so much I could go into on the details on these pieces but you'd have to see it to believe it....just exquisite. I think this man who kicked off the main party said it best:

[​IMG]

Jean-Claude Monachon, VP of product and customer service....he told us a brief history about the start of the Speedmaster and talked about how on the 57 Speedmaster...you can find 5 different Omega logos on different parts of the watch (I think it's the dial, crystal, bracelet, caseback, and crown....but don't quote me on it), and joked it's a testament to how well the departments communicated with each other back then....but they even replicated this on the trilogy release.....just amazing.

Rest of the night was just phenomenal as I've mentioned with other enthusiasts and extremely interesting people. My family had a blast, here are some shots of some of the other rare pieces they had on display and other members brought:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man I can't get that moonphase out of my head, it was just ridiculous in person.

If some people @ the party could see this post, I wanted to thank you guys for making it an awesome experience. It was really nice to meet some of my online buddies finally in person from here/Omega Forums and the rest of the guests were all so interesting in too many ways to mention. What a party, hope everyone got home safely in one piece and had a safe drive. :thumbsup:

And here's a picture of one of the coolest cocktails I've seen @ an event like this hah, they called it space water and my wife thought it was pretty good!

[​IMG]

Special shout out to repoman and TaddyAngle for being awesome in person. It's amazing to know I live so close by to some real Omega enthusiasts. (Hope you don't mind me sharing some shots of some of your beauties John!)

2. Xeer May 14, 2017

Loving the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

sensui likes this.
  3. Humptymarsbar May 14, 2017

Not a bad collection i suppose. ;)
    :thumbsup: thanks for sharing

sensui likes this.
  4. pianomankd May 14, 2017

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

sensui likes this.
  5. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! May 14, 2017

Thanks for the AWESOME effort for talking these marvelous photos.

sensui likes this.
  6. pianomankd May 14, 2017

PS - love that steaming drink in the last photo.

sensui likes this.
  7. frazierspa May 14, 2017

[​IMG]

Best post of the year, sensui! Love your enthusiasm. Your excitement is contagious. The gold Speedy Pro above, I'VE-GOT-TO-HAVE-IT! :) Thanks!!!
    Scott

GuiltyBoomerang and sensui like this.
  8. CleverUserName07 May 14, 2017

Thank you for sharing, looks like an awesome time!

sensui likes this.
  9. Meme-Dweller May 14, 2017

Awesome pictures and write-up. Can't wait to get the 60th Speedy!

And good lord that Speedy Reduced with the oval subdials looks terrible. MY EYES!

eugeneandresson, sensui and GregH like this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 14, 2017

AWesome, dreamy ::love::, ... thanks for sharing!

I saw two gorgeous moonphases; were you referring to the vintage Cosmic, or the blue Speedy at the top of your OP?

Cheers

sensui likes this.
  11. sensui May 14, 2017

Indeed, two very gorgeous pieces. But the vintage piece made my heart skip a beat heh. Condition was insane. Thanks for the kind words gents, was truly awesome to be there.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 14, 2017

That's the same with me. I've never seen one of those in person, and I'm envious!

Omega is doing some great things, though, with the vintage-inspired pieces, but it's still vintage that tugs at my heart!

sensui likes this.
  13. Riviera Paradise May 14, 2017

Thanks so much @sensui for taking the time to post this Sunday feast of pictures!

BTW I just noticed that there we no pictures of the Railmaster non-LE...was that due to lack of interest on your part for that specific watch or simply because it was not part of the Basel 2017 collection Omega were presenting at this event?

Edited May 14, 2017
    sensui likes this.
  14. w.finkenstaedt May 14, 2017

This party was Speedmaster and Trilogy only to the best of my knowledge. There weren't any Aqua Terra's or Deep Black pieces there.

Riviera Paradise and sensui like this.
  15. sensui May 14, 2017

Yeah no regular railmaster there,I would have tried and taken pictures of those if it were available. We only chatted about them in how they'd change their entry market with the low price with master chronometer movement.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 14, 2017

Made the 3.5 hour drive up there with @repoman and we had a great time meeting other enthusiasts. Note to self, stay away from LA traffic on Fridays. Actually also drove up to LA for another reason on Saturday, and I should stay away from LA altogether.

At the event many wore two watches. 99.9% wore an Omega. There was the one that wore a Rolex, but they let her stay and enjoy the event anyway. :)

Pleasure meeting so many including @sensui and his lovely family. I think that was the only other OF'er that was there. I also met watchstylist (on instagram) along with a bunch of other Speedy fanatics.

Tried this one on, and I really liked the color. Not sure on the price, but at this point out of my league based on what the prices are on the other ceramics.

upload_2017-5-14_11-44-26.png

And yes, I wore my Ploprof. The gold watch is repo's.

upload_2017-5-14_11-47-9.png

But I was also mad dogging it with the Ed White.

upload_2017-5-14_11-44-3.png

I very much enjoy these events. Was also thrilled to get the 60th Speedy poster, which I plan to frame and post in my office soon.

17. pianomankd May 14, 2017

Poster will look great. Make sure to post a pic when it's framed and up!

18. sensui May 14, 2017

Lol I should have let her wear one of mine, that's the only one she owns.....our first time won't happen again hah.

Taddy, that ed white on mesh was killing it on your wrist. Awesome meeting you my friend finally in person, nice to see you and repoman made it back (and you doing the trip again yesterday) safely.

GuiltyBoomerang and Taddyangle like this.