Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 15, 2013

Recently I have seen some polar views on “restoration” of old speedmasters.
    The discussion settled into those who wanted all NOS parts producing a watch that looked as though it had just come from the factory. And on the other hand, there were opinions like mine:

P7150001-003.jpg

Bought in a pile of parts, and definitely not running. These shots are all AFTER restoration:

P7150003-003.jpg

Note the case – back, with its twin reference.
    P7150015-001.jpg

Nice clean movement, as it should be of course:
    P7150012-001.jpg
    Clean, but not over polished case:
    P7150010-001.jpg

It is now one of my more worn watches.
    P7160007.jpg

I am curious to hear who would have changed the dial.

I like watches that show their history. I feel that anyone can “restore” a watch using NOS parts, after all its simply a matter of finding them and fitting them. I think it takes judgement and a little bravery to take a degraded part, and see its beauty and attraction.

The great thing is, we can each have an opinion, and what yours is doesn’t matter to what I like. (And what you like shouldn’t be dictated be me or anyone else).

I hope you all enjoy looking at it – I have been up too late trying to get good photos….you know how it is when the obsession to get a better one gets hold of you…Oh. Just me then.

demer03 likes this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 15, 2013

I would replace it with a period correct dial - as is it is just much too aged for me. Would prefer it though over a shiny new dial.

3. demer03 Jul 15, 2013

Beautiful just the way it is.

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 15, 2013

I`d leave the dial, but replace the crystal with the old style crystal with the very wide silver pressure ring to cover the circumfence line worn by a previous crystal. kind regards. achim

hockey likes this.