Forums Latest Members
  1. srobert Dec 13, 2016

My grandmother passed away, and the family have been going through the estate. Finding in a small box, was my grandfathers old watch. He was a chef at sea before/under/and after the war, so really a fitting model match.

Can't really find an exact year or modelno for this. Tried the omega sites, but I guess the picture isn't there.
    If anyone have an idea of what it could be, that would be nice to know.

Glass has a crack on the left side, but the automatic works.. but my guess it hasn't been in for a service for quite a while.

What do I do with this to make it usable again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alam and Larry S like this.
  2. srobert Dec 13, 2016

Also, hello to all of you!
    I was pretty sure I had made an account here years ago. O'WELL!

3. alam Dec 13, 2016

That's a nice little Seamaster you got there. Perhaps a 60's year model? The first thing to do is find a watchmaker that can properly service/replace the crystal. The case looks a bit rusted and with the marks (maybe damage) done by a NATO strap - I would not try to wind or fiddle with it as you could do more harm. It will look nice after is cleaned and on a leather strap.

srobert and Vitezi like this.
  4. srobert Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for the reply.
    Is there a standard crystal for these old Omegas, or will the new one differ a lot? Would that do something to the value?

Not sure where the strap did go. Will be looking for a leather one I think.

Searching for good dealers here in Norway - that could be able to do this kind of work.

If you're not supposed to polish the watch, what to do with the grunge on it? Specially that green irridation?

5. alam Dec 13, 2016

An original Omega crystal maybe available, if not an after market crystal should be fairly easy to source - I will not expect a drastic different look with either option; in terms of value - the cost to service this watch will most likely be more than the value of the watch.

A good watchmaker will be able to clean/buff some of the corrosion/damage to the case without too much polishing, but some of the damage/pitting will remain. The only green I see on the pictures is the junk/rust covering the spring bars -- and these will be discarded during service.

Edited Dec 13, 2016
    srobert likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 13, 2016

@Northernman is in Norway. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Paging Anders.

srobert likes this.
  7. marturx Dec 14, 2016

The green springbars you just replace with the new band/ strap.

The case will clean up nicely in the supersonic cleaner. The crystal can be replaced with a new Omega original ditto.

Add a service of the movement, and you'll have a great heirloom for decades to come. The condition of the watch is excellent.

PM Anders @Northernman and I'm sure he can give you good advice on how to proceed

srobert likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 14, 2016

Advice #1 would be to get it serviced abroad. :(
    Most watchmakers I find on these shores would polish the living daylights out of it, and charge a minimum of usd 1k (not kidding) before you get it back.
    PM me for Advuce #2.

srobert likes this.
  9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 14, 2016

I cannot add anything of value with regards to your questions, but I do like the way you have photographed it in cotton wool. It speaks volumes about your appreciation for the watch.

srobert likes this.
  10. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Dec 14, 2016

Take good care of this one - not a special watch by Omega's standards, but a very special one by your heart's standards. I have a couple of watches from my ancestors and I cherish them dearly. I really get emotional when I wear my grandad's omega, truly do.

As mentionned earlier, find a good local watchmaker who will give it a gentle service, specifically ask them to not change any cosmetics as you hand it over to them, pay respect to your granpa by wearing it with a smile :)

The Patek ad is spot-on :)

chronos, srobert and Vitezi like this.
  11. srobert Dec 14, 2016

PM sendt to Northernererer. ;) Cheers.

Omega seamaster is iconic by itself. Everyone know's it's quality.

It's still working when moved, so I guess adjustment, oiling and new glass is in order. I'm quite found of patination in some degree, so a complete overhaul isn't needed.

What would be a correct leather strap for this?

Edited Dec 14, 2016
  12. srobert Dec 15, 2016

165.002. What year and model makes it? Checked the vintage omega site, but they had 002x.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  13. srobert Dec 15, 2016

I derped down and found the numbers!

image.jpeg
    Edited Dec 15, 2016
  14. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 15, 2016

1965 +/-

15. srobert Dec 15, 2016

Cheers!

My father could tell me that grandad used a brown leather strap on this. So that's what I'll be looking for.

God
    why don't they export croc skin
    why

chronos likes this.
  16. Bumper Dec 15, 2016

Sometimes you need to add an extra zero as they changed to a 7 digit number. 1xx.0xxx

165.0002_1.JPG 165.0002_2.JPG 165.0002_3.JPG

17. srobert Dec 16, 2016

Thanks Bumper!
    Looks right, except the dial - might be optional. :)

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 16, 2016

Omega had many different dial designs for each reference.

Yours looks correct for the period.

It should clean up nicely.
    gatorcpa

chronos likes this.