Forums Latest Members
  1. JPepper1 Aug 26, 2018

Hello all,

I had recently went back to my childhood home and rediscovered the two Omegas my grandfather gave me on my 18th birthday. I had posted about it on watchuseek forums some 10 years ago, but life took over since then.
    I have yet to open the Seamaster, gonna order proper basic tools for that. But happy to report the moment I picked up the watch, it sprang to life. From my limited internet search, it looks like a 70's Seamaster Automatic Day Date (?maybe?).

But my main question comes with the older watch on the right:
    I found an older thread that seems very familiar to it https://omegaforums.net/threads/please-help-id-this-omega-watch-1920s.28231/
    The serial numbers check out to that period as well.
    What I am stuck on at this point is where to go for repair/restoration. I saw Omega's official site offering such a service beginning at $1500. I was just wondering if there are other known people or places I should look to entrusting work to. Or should I just go with the Omega service?
    gran1.jpg gran2.jpg
    I personally live in Portland Oregon, but I am open to sending my piece through the mail for services.
    Of course, there's always been a seed in my head that these are counterfeit, since my grandfather lived most of his life in Shanghai China and I am guessing that's where he bought these, and of course the rampant counterfeit culture there. At least I know the metal band on the seamaster isn't omega (big fat MADE IN CHINA on it, lol).
    And of course, real or fake, 110% never going to sell these, they're staying in the family.

YOSDav, Caliber561, pmontoyap and 5 others like this.
  2. jimmyd13 Aug 26, 2018

Lovely things - particularly the gold trench watch. That's definitely my kind of thing. I have a similar one in silver with the same numerals but the font and logo on mine are different. I doubt the dial has been re-done (it is enamel?) So I'm going to just guess yours is later.

Hang around and someone will be able to give you recommendations for your area. I wouldn't go with Omega (that is simply too much money for the minimal work you'll want, ie. A movement service). Standard advice applies: don't go wearing them until they're serviced as you risk damaging the movement or causing excessive wear. That trench will look stunning on a black cherry bund strap.

3. 77deluxe Aug 26, 2018

That trench watch is incredible.

airansun likes this.
  4. Sherbie Aug 26, 2018

If the gold looking buckle is also 18k gold, then that valuable too, especially if its made by Omega - does it have anything stamped on it?

Nice pair regardless - and agree with the above - all you need is basic movement services

5. chipsotoole Aug 26, 2018

Don't send it to Omega....That's a familiar tune here. Find a good local guy.

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. Mossback Aug 26, 2018

Love reading family watch stories here. Thanks for sharing those special watches.
    Nesbit’s up here in Seattle has a good reputation for Omega service. I’m a new member so I suggest you first listen to our more knowledgeable members before making any decision.

7. gra80347 Aug 26, 2018

Had my great grandfather's watch (mid 1950's 500 calibre) serviced at Nesbit's last year. They are not cheap, but did a great job.

8. DTMwatch Aug 26, 2018

Al Archer (who posts on this forum) and Nesbit's have great reputations servicing Omegas. I'd trust them both with those nice watches.

9. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 26, 2018

Beautiful old Omega. A very special piece.

I don’t think these require ‘fancy’ watchmaking talents, unless worn parts demand refabrication. (But, watch me be corrected in the next 24 hours.)

Mine is from the end of the 6,xxx,xxx and yours at the beginning. The engine turning on your movement is wonderful.

5805CE4F-BA74-453B-A24B-87B59C4FD421.jpeg 5FE86C5A-397C-40A7-BDF1-FC3DFA6E1B6F.jpeg CEFD553A-7D2D-49B8-B1D0-014BF126C6D4.jpeg

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. JPepper1 Aug 26, 2018

Always wanted to drive up to Seattle, guess now I have an actual goal other than sightseeing if I go with Nesbits.

It's definitely heavy for what it is, so unless it's gold painted lead, I think it might be gold until I get it verified by a professional. As for marks of any sort, I don't have a magnifying glass on me, but I do see two marks. pri.jpg
    My iphone 6 camera can only do so much, but the deeper mark kind of looks like a skinny helvetia head. Or a bald helvetia with no hair.

11. Dan S Aug 26, 2018

What a great "re-discovery"! In the photo, the buckle looks almost as wide as the watch, so I will be curious to see how you end up pairing the two of them. ;)