Forums Latest Members
  1. haychmack Feb 19, 2018

Hi everyone, hoping your expertise can come in handy here.
    I’ve recently been given my late Grandfathers old Omega Quartz watch. It hasn’t had an easy life and does need some repair but before I go throwing money at it I thought it best to try to find out more about it. Google eventually led me here.
    I’m pretty sure the watch was made in 1977 or 1978 based purely on the engraving on the back plate.
    What I’d like to know is if there is a model name? The crown (I just learnt this term) has broken off but I still have the part, is this easily repaired or replaced by a jeweller or watchmaker? I know that it needs a battery as the original one has been removed.

What is the approximate value of the watch and is having it repaired worth the outlay?

Sorry for the long first post.

Cheers, Heath

15811A1D-3B57-4FBD-AA97-90C2D87F2BAB.jpeg 4361D7FF-6390-4372-AF7F-A37B077359DA.jpeg 0E306906-BA35-41F7-9FD1-BDB4C91CA0F7.jpeg E83BD4B4-AB33-43BB-98A3-7FDD948B9BE0.jpeg

2. Rickyp Feb 19, 2018

I would say get it serviced etc whatever the cost. It’s your grandfathers watch. I never met my grandfather. He was killed at El Alamein by Rommel. His possessions were on their way home on a ship which was torpedoed by a u boat and so all was lost. I would love to own his watch. Folk on here tend to advise not having things done by omega as they tend to take away the character of the watch. If it works wear it

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 19, 2018

Your watch is priceless as its your grandfathers.

Though not worth a lot being a quartz it shouldn't cost that much for a service. Remove the bracelet as it can damage the lugs and put it on a nice leather strap after a service and it will be a nice Omega for you.

Try not to say how much a service will be as not sure where you are and how or if the watch works with a battery in it. A service may cost a bit more than the watch is worth to collectors because we are all mechanical nuts.

I myself would get it serviced and wear it every time I visited my Parents ( don't know who's father it was )

Model number will be inside the case back ( just type Omega and # into Google )

4. GordonL Feb 19, 2018

+ 1 on all of the above.

5. Kieren Feb 19, 2018

the crown is quite specific as it has a built in corrector to fast drive the hands, the corrector part is depressed for 5 seconds, released and depressed again to activate this function.

also the batteries for the 1345 only last around 12 months, this is because the original battery would have been Mercury and the silver oxide batteries available these days do not hold their charge for as long.

Tik-Tok of Oz and watchdaddy1 like this.
  6. haychmack Feb 19, 2018

Ok great thanks everyone!
    I’ll definitely look into getting it serviced, hopefully the crown can be repaired or replaced. I looked at the inside of the case for the model number and it has 196 0123 which is apparently a Seamaster 1978-1982 which fits in with the timeline of the engraving.

Thanks again

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 19, 2018

Be sure to show us once serviced.

Where are you in the world as someone might be able to point you to a watchmaker with a Omega parts account.
    Omega will be costly and not as sympathetic to keeping it original as a watchmaker will

watchdaddy1 and bjhove like this.
  8. haychmack Feb 19, 2018

I’m in Melbourne, Australia
    Any leads would be great!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 23, 2018

For once I'm going against the tide here. If it was my grandfather's watch I'd take it to the Omega Boutique at 179 Collins St.

(Note: Unless you can find a local watchmaker with an Omega Parts Account. If they don't have that they may struggle to fix any problems encountered).

Omega have all of the correct spare parts required and can return the watch to original condition.
    The cost of the service (about AUD$650) will far outweigh the value of the watch, but it's not about money.

You will have a watch that works and has a warranty period on the serviced parts.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

Lastly, take off that flexi bracelet, the spring loaded tabs can wear the lugs, get a nice leather strap and enjoy wearing it.

nonuffinkbloke and watchdaddy1 like this.
  10. haychmack Feb 23, 2018

Thanks Jim, just went into the Omega Boutique on Collins and confirmed the cost would be $650 for a service. I was told that basically it’s the only option available for a 40 year old quartz. The watch would have to go back to Switzerland for the work too. At the moment it’s a little more than I can spend but for the sake of a functioning watch I’ll have to put some money aside and get the work done in a month or two.

cicindela, Starman71 and watchdaddy1 like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 23, 2018

Just give it to them, it will be a few months before its returned and payment is due. ;)

larryganz, cicindela and watchdaddy1 like this.
  12. Tonyash Feb 24, 2018

JimInOz likes this.
  13. haychmack Mar 19, 2018

Just thought I’d update for anyone that’s interested.
    I dropped the watch off at the Boutique store on Collins St in Melbourne on Friday afternoon. Online tracking of the repair process is already available which I thought was pretty good. Below is a screenshot of the watch / condition report.

A few people have mentioned getting rid of the Flexi bracelet for a leather strap so I asked about that as well but to be honest I’ll probably end up going 3rd party to save some money.

One thing of note is that the store has the watch listed as a De Ville but using the Omega serial from inside the case back it shows as a Seamaster.

Does anyone have a reason for this?

I’ll let you all know when the watch is back and upload some more pics.

Cheers

AEC647A7-6016-4060-8078-902128CDF977.jpeg
  14. Davidt Mar 19, 2018

Have you asked them to retain the caseback due to sentimental reasons?

15. haychmack Mar 19, 2018

As far as I know with this level of service, the case back is cleaned and polished but not replaced.

16. ostneb Mar 19, 2018

Thanks for the update, cant wait to see the after pictures!

17. haychmack Apr 11, 2018

Well everyone, today I was able to pick up my watch after the full service was complete. I knew that I’d be getting it back in “like new” condition but it was still a great surprise to see it looking so good! The whole thing looks fantastic. I ended up swapping out the Flexi bracelet for a brown leather strap with gold hardware which I think suits the style and age of the watch. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and pointing me in the right direction to go with getting this old watch back into service again!

E5FB1578-E72A-49FA-A8AD-AD121734F9D4.jpeg

EA7826C0-5093-4F9E-8662-32132ECF9845.jpeg C6401484-3CA2-4FF2-8FC8-9E0C642D101E.jpeg 33351BE0-7CE9-4888-B560-ED742694475B.jpeg
    Edited Apr 11, 2018
    MajorCindy, NOTSHARP, Adb_85 and 6 others like this.
  18. larryganz The cable guy Apr 11, 2018

Looks good, congrats on preserving the watch, and hope you'll be able to pass it down when you're done with it!

haychmack likes this.