Forums Latest Members

My grandfather's f300HZ Constellation back in action.

1. geektasticdave May 30, 2018

My grandfather got this for 25 years of work in the mid 1970s at Raytheon. I just got the watch back after having it serviced by the amazing Paul at Electric Watches.

I love hearing this thing hum again. The gaskets had turned to tar and it was in rough shape. Paul even replaced the 40+ year old plastic date wheel with a metal one he had made.

The alligator strap it came on was falling apart, so I replaced it with a Hisch Crocograin. Sadly, the original Omega buckle does not fit this strap, but I am holding on to it.

My grandfather was an engineer and I am certain he appreciated the tuning fork/ electric watch movement. I am so happy to have it up and running for the first time in over a decade.

[​IMG]

2. ChrisN May 30, 2018

Nice story/momento and I hope you enjoy the watch:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

geektasticdave likes this.
  3. MikeMan2727 May 30, 2018

Nice watch and story! Definitely hold on to the original buckle. You can always have a strap custom made or look for a strap with a bigger taper to the buckle.

4. WhatYourWatchSay May 30, 2018

It's always nice to see vintage quartz watches running and being used.

Great looking example and looks good on you :thumbsup:

geektasticdave likes this.
  5. geektasticdave May 30, 2018

Thank you, I appreciate it :). That being said, this is a tuning fork watch and not a quartz.

kkt, Archer and connieseamaster like this.
  6. geektasticdave May 30, 2018

Thanks all. I'll be wearing this one for my wedding later this year.

7. mrchuck2u Apr 2, 2020

I have the same one with the stainless steel/gold band. Hope it is still running well for you.

8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 2, 2020

That is true. It is not a quartz watch.
    But did you know that quartz oscillators that are found in quartz watches are tuning forks? :)

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 2, 2020
    apsm100 likes this.
  9. mrchuck2u Apr 2, 2020

Did not know that…. Will look into it, as I would think that an oscillator would require a different electrical application. I have been on the search for a new movement for a while now. My girlfriend in 1979 (now wife) bought me this watch in high school brand new. Really didn't know what it was worth, she got her from her aunt that was a jeweler in the "scratch and dent" box. Sick to know what she paid, would of loved to go through that box.... I want to get her going again. Make sure you do the regular maintenance on her to keep her running. Sorry for the bad photo...

Omega.jpg
  10. ZIELSZIEK Apr 4, 2020

Great piece! Wear it in good health. I love hearing people treasuring family possessions. Your grandfather had good taste.