Forums Latest Members
  1. jpranwei Apr 18, 2022

Hi everyone—

I was recently given my grandfather’s 1957 Bulova self-winding wristwatch. He’s been gone 20 years but the watch is still ticking and I plan to give it to my son who was named after him. Never knew the watch was still around, but needless to say it was a very pleasant and meaningful surprise.

I did have one question——The service history is unknown. When in motion the watch seems to make a fairly audible winding noise (doesn’t sound like a rotor moving, more like the sound the crown makes when it is turned). A watch repair store said that this was normal and wouldn’t be less audible with a service. They said it’s keeping pretty good time and not in need of servicing yet. I was wondering if anyone can confirm the winding sound issue. Thank you!

16A82E12-9BCE-4902-BA44-26404A862F6D.jpeg
  2. redpcar Apr 18, 2022

Would need to see the movement but some of the Bulova's were (are) pretty noisy. Take a quick pic of the back. There might be a date code mark there.

jpranwei likes this.
  3. savka Apr 18, 2022

Nice watch! And lovely find. Tough to comment on a sound through the forum, but I’d recommend a service regardless of how well the watch is keeping time if it was just sitting for the past 20 years.

vintage hab and jpranwei like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Apr 18, 2022

Sound is normal, I have a few that do that.

jpranwei likes this.
  5. wagudc Apr 18, 2022

That is a very nice Bulova, and a great memento from your grandfather.

If you think your on will be wearing the watch, I recommend a service. It may run reasonably well, but whatever oils were in the watch have gone bad. Using the watch will cause premature wear. I know some shops will say wear it until it stops running, but I prefer to keep my watches properly maintained to prevent parts from wearing out.

To find out more about the watch, you can spend some time here:

https://mybulova.com/

Here are the date codes @JwRosenthal was talking about:

https://mybulova.com/bulova-date-codes

Once you find the date, you can look at the advertisements from that date and figure out what model you have.

Dr.Sascha, jpranwei and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 18, 2022

@redpcar gets the credit for the date code recommendation but since the OP said it was 1957, then we can assume he saw L7 on the back and figured it out.

Any competent watchmaker can service this and parts are abundant on eBay in the form of NOS or whole parts movements for these. If a watchmaker says they can’t get parts for it, find another watchmaker.

Waltesefalcon, jpranwei and wagudc like this.
  7. wagudc Apr 18, 2022

@JwRosenthal is right about the parts availability. These were l quality everyday man's watches, not luxury, so there are lots of parts around. The recommendation to wait on the service is not bad advice, although my preference is to service

jpranwei likes this.
  8. jpranwei Apr 19, 2022

I appreciate all the input gentlemen. Definitely helpful! I’ve called a few shops and it seems $300 minimum is what I’m going to need to pay (not including parts). Does that seem in line with what you’d expect?

wagudc likes this.
  9. jpranwei Apr 19, 2022

Thank you!

wagudc likes this.
  10. Waltesefalcon Apr 19, 2022

Location is key to cost for servicing. In my neck of the woods I wouldn't pay $300, however, if I lived in a large metropolitan area I'd happily pay that.

jpranwei likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2022

Let us know where you are in the world and we can make some recommendations. As Walt said, it’s very location dependent as a a major metro area watchmaker has much higher overhead and $300 isn’t out of line for a 3-hander. There are many good watchmakers you can send it to in more rural areas who will do it for a little to a lot less. The issue of cost for service is a hotly debated topic around here.

jpranwei likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 19, 2022

Yes … That’s quite reasonable. Movement only. Nothing else. Make sure you drive that point home.

jpranwei likes this.
  13. jpranwei Apr 19, 2022

I see—I’m in Phoenix, Arizona.

14. Rolehex May 4, 2022

Beautiful watch! My older Bulova makes a good amount of noise as well but I would recommend a service as others had mentioned.

15. KnoP May 4, 2022

fine watch, unfortunately my granddads weren't into watches. my dad sterted but likes gold, hopefully "it" will fit my wrist any day.
    congrats to yours and the history of it!!

jpranwei likes this.
  16. jpranwei May 8, 2022

Thanks!

17. jpranwei May 8, 2022

I ended up getting it serviced. Hope to get it back soon!

18. Rodsch May 8, 2022

I also have had 2 bulova' s. Quite noisy also but didn t need to Service them as the accuracy was ok

jpranwei likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal May 8, 2022

Good move- it will last you another 60 years now (although you should get it serviced about every decade if you wear it infrequently- every 5 for daily).
    Also, if you want to update the style, don’t be married to brown or black leather. Colorful suedes and fun reptile patterns can really make these gold watches pop.

jpranwei likes this.
  20. georgeszaslavsky May 10, 2022

lovely watch