Forums Latest Members

My Grandads 50s Constellation

1. Boony Oct 31, 2017

I thought this may be an interesting thread; I'd love to hear your thoughts.

My Grandad, Fred Boon was born in 1907 in Cheltenham, England and this is his watch. His brother, Air Commodore Benjamin Harry Boon CBE OBE was a foreign diplomat in the 1950s and was out of the country somewhere in the Middle East I believe. It was then that Fred asked Harry to buy him the Omega Constellation he'd had his eye on. The pictures below show the watch with its original box and Omega papers. There is however, no recept or customs papers for the reason that the watch was brought over in 'Harry's' diplomatic bag. One of the perks of being in such as position I guess!

The watch has belonged to my father since Fred's death in 1996 and as you can see, its all in amazing condition (other than the missing strap which I am told was replaced back in the '70s). The final picture is my Dad's Omega which was a gift from Fred his father for his 21st birthday in 1967. A very standard Seamaster but a watch thats been with him for 50 years!

I hope you like the pictures (not for their quality, rather the interest of the content)... Oh, and I have no idea why there are two 'guarantee' certificates with continuous numbering - perhaps the forum has some thoughts on that!?

omega constellation 1.jpg

omega constellation 2.jpg

omega constellation 3.jpg

omega constellation 4.jpg

omega constellation 5.jpg

omega constellation 6.jpg

omega constellation 7.jpg

omega constellation 8.jpg

omega constellation 9.jpg

omega constellation 10.jpg

omega constellation 11.jpg

omega constellation 12.jpg

omega constellation 13.jpg

omega constellation 14.jpg omega constellation 14.jpg

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 31, 2017

The 2nd warranty card might for an additional purchase or upgrade such as an OEM strap or bracelet.

Dunno what else it could be for?

Beautiful watch, great family story / history.

3. ConElPueblo Oct 31, 2017

If the dates fit, it could be for warranty work?

@Boony, It's a fantastic watch and I'd be proud to own a watch that's a part of my family like yours is. It must be a very special feeling being the current caretaker :)
    Some work has been carried out on the dial, but that wouldn't make me treasure it less!

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 31, 2017

I can only second what @ConElPueblo said.
    Great family heirloom to treasure.

5. kkt Nov 1, 2017

That's a beauty.

6. kippyk Nov 2, 2017

Boxes & papers always make it more special. I once had some old Marantz stereo equipment...nothing too valuable. However, I still had the 70's shipping foam and cardboard boxes.

7. Waltesefalcon Nov 2, 2017

Wow, that is a really beauty and a very nice piece of family history.