Forums Latest Members

My first vintage watch (potential buy!)

1. RubenDhae Aug 4, 2020

Hello dearest OF members

I'm in the market for a vintage dress watch. For the last couple of weeks/months I have looked at different options as far as Omega goes, because vintage Omega watches are cool and good valuewise.

However, I came across this stunning Universal Geneve watch.
    Can anyone tell me more about this watch?
    Are there red flags (why is there no accent on the "è" of genève?) or issues on the dial or movement?

Every advice or opinion is much appreciated. The asking price for this watch is 400 eur.

Best
    Ruben

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bencherman likes this.
  2. janice&fred Aug 4, 2020

The dial looks repainted so perhaps hold off on it and keep looking for others that catch your eye? Cool you are getting into this hobby but maybe check in here before you part with any money.

3. RubenDhae Aug 4, 2020

Hello! Thanks a lot for your answer. Can you please elaborate on why you think it's a repainted dial? I meight learn a thing or two from what/how you look for this.

The overall case doesn't seem to be oxidated and the gold (plating) has not worn off, so in my untrained eye it just looks like a rarely worn or just a well kept timepiece. I meight be wrong, ofcourse :D

4. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

The hands and dial seem mismatched to me. Dauphine hands with lume, stick makers with no lume. Likely re-dial given that the printing is quite wonky.

RubenDhae and airansun like this.
  5. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

Every "E" is different, "V" is asymmetrical, "L" is too low and poorly spaced, "DE" are too close. Train your eyes to notice details and eventually it will be second nature.

Spruce, RubenDhae and airansun like this.
  6. RubenDhae Aug 4, 2020

Yes! The L is too low, the last E of 'geneve" looks very bold. This is the kind of response I'm learning a lot from. Thank you for your input , Dan!

7. JohnSteed Aug 4, 2020

@rubendhae An an odd looking ‘Swiss Made’ or is that ‘Swiss Kade’? May as well take a look at the vintage watches here for sale?

8. RubenDhae Aug 4, 2020

To my eye, it looks like an "M" but the right side seems to have flaked a bit off.

I'm very much paying close attention to the watches for sale here, but none of them have tickled my fancy yet for the price i'm willing to pay (usually the watches here are in better condition, but also more expensive)

9. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

Well, this is something most people have to learn for themselves, but I have to say this. One is rarely unhappy in the long run if one pays a bit more (even a bit too much) for an excellent watch. A flawed watch often become increasingly disappointing over time, and is harder to sell when you decide to upgrade.

Pjotr1, RubenDhae and JohnSteed like this.
  10. janice&fred Aug 4, 2020

Ah take your time and sooner or later the right stuff will come along.

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. JohnSteed Aug 4, 2020

RubenDhae likes this.
  12. bgrisso Aug 4, 2020

As others have said, looks like a redial, plus gold plated cases are not as collected, just something to keep in mind. Definite pass.

Maybe describe what you are looking for in terms of size, style, case material, etc?

It's tough to get a completely original mid sized time only UG that is completely correct in that price range, but not impossible if you are going for a plated case and some patience.....

RubenDhae likes this.
  13. RubenDhae Aug 5, 2020

Well I like the clean simple dress watches, which is exactly what I'm looking for. As I'm planning to wear the dress watch on "special" occasions, for example when suiting up, I quite like gold (plated) watches. The size i'm looking for should not be below 34mm, ideally 36. However, I don't have a specific model/reference in mind, I'm just scouting the internet for watches that tickle my fancy.

Spruce likes this.
  14. Diabolik Aug 6, 2020

If it is going to be a special occasions watch, make it something that is special. There are many Frankenstein creations out there and it is always best, as you have done, to do a due diligence before yo release your hard earned cash as although it is possible to dispute a purchase, it is always draining and can be difficult if not impossible to get your money back.

The UG that you show, sadly has been messed about with. As has been noted, the dial is wrong and so are hands. Best to carry on with your search. Have a look at Polerouters. There are many different models. Something for everyone. The quality is superb and if you like a gold plaque, you can have the best of both worlds with a really exceptional gold finish on steel ...

Keep an eye out of the for sale board on this formidable resource and keep in mind that "if it is too good to be true, it usually is" ...

Bencherman and RubenDhae like this.