Forums Latest Members
  1. BenBagbag Jun 27, 2017

When I first joined the forums I was super excited to buy any vintage Omega. I created a few threads with terrible redials and realized I need to slow down. I kept seeing the same advice pop up - Take a few months, learn a lot, and then pick something out when you are confident that everything lines up. Well after a couple of months and a lot of patience I finally got comfortable that I knew what I was looking at and that I had a good sense of valuations. I also noticed my taste changing the more familiar I became with different examples.

Eventually, I found a listing that piqued my interest. It is a Seamaster 2846 cal. 491 with a 15xxxxxx serial number dating to approximately 1956.
    Here was the original listing and picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311887394792Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    my watch on ebay.jpg
    20170623_132644.jpg inside caseback.jpg The watch was not running and the movement photos showed that the rotor was rubbing against the case back but I figured that it could be sorted out with a good service. The beads of rice bracelet stuck out to me as it certainly helps complete the look even if it is a bit loose (I still wonder if it is original to the watch). The crystal clearly needed a good polish as the scratches obscure the view of the dial. Everything else checked out though. The font looks good, the minute track lines up and the hardware is all consistent. It looks like an honest example.
    I finally ran the watch by a very helpful forum member who gave me the green light - and I won! Here is a picture I took of the watch when it came (I am not a pro at photography yet so please bare with me!):
    The before polish.jpg
    And a pre-service wrist shot - the scratched crystal looked hazy (I also noticed that it is an after-market crystal):
    glarescratchedcrystal.jpg
    I knew it needed a good service so I brought it to a recommended watchmaker and he opened it up for me and talked to me about servicing vintage pieces for some 20 minutes or so. It was really fun! I took a couple of pictures of the inside - the rubbing on the rotor was evident but the movement retained most of its shine:

Well it was ready and I picked it up today! (I only got one decent photo of the movement):
    Afterservice2.JPG 20170627_194201.jpg 20170627_200734.jpg 20170627_233208.jpg back of the watch.jpg

The watch takes on a bit of a different look depending on the lighting. I think this is one of those dials where the patina may be heavy enough to ignite the patina/damage discussion that keeps popping up here all the time. But I like the aging of the watch and I think it pairs well with the gold hardware.
    Finally a wrist-shot:
    IMG-20170627-WA0068.jpg

Once again, thank you to all the great members here who have shared your wisdom on the forum and have been encouraging to new members. If I would have been treated harsher I may have left and never looked back. I think that is a big testament to the moderators who maintain such a friendly and inviting forum which I imagine may not always be easy (this is the internet after all). I learn so many new things every day and I never thought I would be so familiar with the intricacies of watches that are 50+ years old...

Of course the first time I wore it outside today a sun-shower started out of nowhere! :confused:

Thanks and happy hunting!

Edited Jun 27, 2017
    joeshoup, lucian23, palkastu and 4 others like this.
  2. tzachi Jun 28, 2017

thanks for sharing

BenBagbag likes this.
  3. Edward53 Jun 28, 2017

That watch really has presence and I think was a pretty good deal for what you paid. Patina is a personal taste and even though it's not mine, I can see the attraction of that dial. Those big chunky Seamasters look fantastic on that type of BOR but finding the right endlinks for the early cases is very difficult and I wouldn't worry about the fit. Congratulations on buying a great watch!

BenBagbag likes this.
  4. BenBagbag Jun 28, 2017

So a couple of questions:
    What endlinks go with this watch? Is it possible that this bracelet is original to the watch? And what leather band would look nice on this watch?

5. Edward53 Jun 28, 2017

You'll never know for sure if the bracelet was original to it or not as these watches were supplied with BORs or leather bands at point of sale. One endlink looks more off than the other, perhaps a replacement? My Seamaster 2767-5 below is a similar shape case to yours and takes 11 endlinks - good luck finding those on their own.

Personally I like non-padded tan leather bands but that's just my taste. It comes down to what you like.

New 018.jpg

6. BenBagbag Jun 28, 2017

Both look identical... They do wiggle just a bit but they are pretty tight otherwise. And thanks, I'll look into the non-padded leather bands. Gotta do some digging for threads on seamaster straps for ideas. I really do like the bracelet though!

20170628_132508.jpg 20170628_132514.jpg 20170628_132519.jpg

7. Indigotony May 13, 2023

Snap !!
    But differtent numbers

20230513_154909.jpg
  8. lucian23 May 13, 2023

Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your very nice looking watch!