Forums Latest Members

My first vintage Omegas..From a thrift store!!!! (Long story)

1. Evolution_of_RW Oct 27, 2013

I have been lurking this forum for the longest time. So first of all, I just want to say thank you for the knowledge. I have been looking to purchase a Vintage Omega for a while now. I am partial to piepan constellations and have been very close to purchasing one a few times. I am also a very big thrift store shopper, so I am in thrift stores all the time (I go thrifting 3-5 days a week). Well, on thursday night, I stopped into one of my regular spots and after browsing the store for about 20 mins and finding nothing, I decided to leave. On the way out I did my customary check of the jewelry cases which usually never yields anything good but to my surprise, I saw two beautiful vintage Omegas!! The way they were positioned I couldn't see the price and I was a little nervousness because this particular thrift store will sometimes jack the prices way up if they know they have something good. This store had a fake Cartier priced at $1599 one time. Anyways, I had someone come and open the case for me and to my absolute delight, the gold seamaster was priced at $14.99 and the other was priced at $9.99. Now I was wondering if they were running. I shook the silver one and it immediately starting running. Score!! I wound the gold seamaster and that also started running. Score again!!! My heart was racing. I had the employee ring me up and I got out of there as fast as I could!! I was also very nervous that they weren't real, but I figured for that price, they were worth the risk. They also had some hideous busted up bands on them which made the watches look bad, but I saw the potential.

I get them home and I discover that Seamaster was 14K gold filled with a beautiful chocolate dial and I also discovered that they both have the original crystals on them because I was able to find the small omega logo that was etched in.

As as far as the condition, they both seem to be in great shape to me. The crystal on the silver watch is pretty scratched and the crystal on the gold watch is scratched but not as badly. Honestly, I love the way they both look and I really don't think I'm going to do much as far as polishing them or replacing ink crystals etc...The best part is that they are both keeping great time! When the time comes I will service them as needed.

I do have a couple of questions though..

1) I need strap recommendations..Where can I get quality straps that go with these watches for decent prices? What straps do you think would look good on these? I'm planning on a NATO for the silver watch. The ones that I put on are just temporary..

2) anybody have any info on what era/movements are in these watches? From the research that I've done, I think the gold seamaster is from the 50's. Is the possibly a bumper movement? I have no idea what model the silver one is..

3) can anyone estimate the value on these? I'm keeping them for my personal collection but, I just want to know what I have here.

4) please provide any additional info/advice that I might need to know. I have been a watch collector for about 10 years now and I have owned several Omegas (SMP 2254, Speedmaster), Rolex submariner (a recent addition), and a bunch of others but this is my first experience with vintage Omega. I am a newbie with these watches, so any advice/help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Rob

before and after pics below...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    trev and benjclark like this.
  2. Tinggle Oct 27, 2013

Hi. Good job scoring them! At the prices you got them for, please spend some good money to give them both a service.

Seamaster looks like a redial which was probably done some time ago . Probably from the 50's. Crown looks right for the period.

Silver one is a geneve from the 70's. I would advise to have them serviced and cleaned even if they are running. Also to give you an idea of the state of the movements. My 2c. More learned guys will surely chime in shortly.

3. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2013

The Seamaster is most likely a redial but I'd need better pictures to confirm. It's from the 50's and probably has a bumper 351 or 354 inside.

The Geneve is late 60's or early 70's, looks like an original dial inside a 165.0041 and would hopefully have a 552 inside.

4. benjclark Oct 27, 2013

Egads! If you see me following you around in the future do not be alarmed.

Varasc likes this.
  5. Daniel B Oct 28, 2013

Nice catch :)

6. kanikune Oct 28, 2013

That's a perfect drift-store jackpot!

7. MKelley Oct 28, 2013

Damn, why can't I get that lucky in thrift stores? Very nice find:thumbsup:

8. CdnWatchDoc Oct 28, 2013

Agree with the redial, but you may have a genuine bumper inside the good looking case...and for $15! Good score!

9. Evolution_of_RW Oct 29, 2013

thanks everyone for the replies and the help! I'm hoping that the Seamaster has a bumper movement inside. Are you able to feel the bumper movement? I have owned tons of automatic watches but I think I can feel when the bump happens. Is that a sign of a bumper movement?

10. Evolution_of_RW Oct 29, 2013

And yes, I definitely agree with the fact that the Seamaster is a redial. When you look at the word "Seamaster" you can tell. What should I do? Would I even be able to get an original dial for it now? I really love the watch. I am obviously willing to put some money into these since I got them for such great prices. What would you guys do?

11. Tinggle Oct 29, 2013

Get them serviced ü enjoy them im good health. With the extra money get them omega buckles. Some members may be able to recommend people to do a 'proper' redial, but personally, i wouldn't at this point. Enjoy your watches in good health!

Cheers!

12. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 29, 2013

Yes and yes.

13. ulackfocus Oct 29, 2013

If it feels like a coin is bouncing around inside when you move it around it's a bumper.

14. Evolution_of_RW Oct 29, 2013

thanks for for the insight gentlemen. it does feel like a coin is bouncing around inside. Perfect description! I have been wearing these things everyday since the day after I bought them!!

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2013

I'd hold off wearing and service first to be honest, you don't want to be doing movement damage and have a parts bill because you wore it without it being lubricated. Keeping good time doesn't mean the watch is in good shape internally.

16. Evolution_of_RW Oct 30, 2013

that is a really great point. You are probably right. Can someone recommend a watchmaker that knows how to work on these watches? I have no idea where to go for service.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 30, 2013

Great luck to score two decent Omegas at that price. Congrats........

18. CdnWatchDoc Oct 30, 2013

Al Archer of Archer Watches is great to work with, and is a regular contributor to the forum. He is located in Ontario, Canada, but his work is very good. I have a couple pieces going to his "spa" imminently.
    http://www.archerwatches.ca/index.html