Forums Latest Members
  1. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Hi guys - I'm looking into buying my first vintage watch to put on a (pretty sweet) pink suede 18 mm strap from Hodinkee, the site where I learned a lot of what I know about watches. Which is probably a lot less than all of you Omega enthusiasts! I have pretty simple requirements - 18 mm lug width to fit my pink strap, 34mm or under case size, with stainless steel case and a very clean dial with a white or silvery white face. I'd prefer no date window but it seems harder to find. Oh and a manual wind because I love the charm of it. I've had a not-so-good experience with an online dealer which I'll detail later. I want to ensure what I'm getting is legitimate and worth it for the price. What are your thoughts on which of these two watches are better? Also I noticed that vintage watches don't indicate reserve time - can I look that up somehow? Thanks! :)

Omega Geneve: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OM...045115?hash=item41f6f3c53b:g:NDUAAOSwEVlcGItsPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Omega Seamaster: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OM...642065?hash=item3b25b446d1:g:kecAAOSwDYdcHcFDPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

thelinendial likes this.
  2. BenBagbag Dec 28, 2018

Take a look at what closer0924 offers on eBay. Usually has a nice manual wind pop up somewhat frequently. Scroll through what he has, check back in here with some pieces that strike your fancy! Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

eBay search:
    seller:closer0924 omega

3. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Both of the links are from this exact seller as I looked him up on this forum!

BenBagbag likes this.
  4. Dan S Dec 28, 2018

:thumbsdown:

5. Rochete Dec 28, 2018

The Genève crown doesn't seem to fit well. Hands stained. IMO overpriced for condition. SM not bad.

thelinendial likes this.
  6. Passover Dec 28, 2018

Keep an eye on Import taxes if you buy a watch in Japan (closer0924 is in Japan) and want it to be delivered to the US or Europe!

thelinendial likes this.
  7. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Thanks Rochete. That narrows it down. Passover, I never considered the import. I'm from Canada so will get a 13% duties fee to bring it up to $827 Canadian.

8. hegner Dec 28, 2018

If this soothes your soul, here in Brazil we pay 100% of customs taxes and this includes the sipping cost as well. Insane!

9. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Wow Hegner I feel for you!!

hegner likes this.
  10. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Yikes...why the thumbs down??

11. Dan S Dec 28, 2018

You know, I never realized that was a thumbs down until just now. I always thought it was a head-scratcher. :)

I was just suggesting that your desire to find a watch to fit your strap - instead of vice versa - was an unusual approach. Most of us are very happy when we find a great watch in good condition for a fair price, and fitting a strap is an afterthought. But hey, if you find an awesome watch that takes a 19mm strap, send it my way. :D

thelinendial likes this.
  12. redroze Dec 28, 2018

Haha...I couldn't tell what the emoji was so I hovered over it and saw a thumbs down. I actually bought the strap to fit a vintage Omega only to find out it was a frankenstein, and I don't feel great about returning a perfectly nice strap to the good folks at Hodinkee. So yes I agree that finding a watch for a strap is unusual and I've lost some sleep over it as it is a backwards way of doing it!!

thelinendial likes this.