Forums Latest Members
  1. desmovalves Nov 20, 2017

I'm just getting started as a collector, joined the forum a couple weeks ago and have been reading voraciously. The community is great so far, and this forum in particular is so well constructed and actively attended that it's a real pleasure to be involved. Thanks to everyone who's made me feel welcome, and especially to @ConElPueblo for the hospitality and advice.

SO.... I went on a bit of a spree last week and snatched up 4 watches, only one of which has arrived. So, by the difference of a few days in shipping, THIS is my first vintage Omega :thumbsup:

Seamaster Cosmic 166.023 with a (presumed) cal 565 automatic movement

-case doesn't appear to have been heavily polished, edges still sharp, although stamping for ref # in back shows some wear (maybe from a NATO?)

-dial is in nice condition, appears to my rookie eyes to be factory original, there is some wear to the minute indices (I suspect from a not-too-cautious crystal removal?). I really enjoy this silver with black livery.

- seller had stated crown and crystal replaced, not Omega OE, I've already ordered the correct crown, not sure if I'll bother with the crystal for the sake of the Omega logo, current one is in nice condition.

- watch was advertised an non-quick-set date (cal 562), but I was happily surprised to find the date does cycle with a push-pull of the crown, indicating the watch is a 565 movement (I have not removed to verify, I don't have the tools to do so as of yet, because front-loader)

It arrived on a padded strap that was none too comfortable, so I swapped on an old Horween strap from a quartz watch I had. Debating what to fit it with next. I do like the grey color.

Impressions: appears to be keeping great time. I really enjoy the case and dial design, the smooth action of the crown when wound, and the sweep of the second hand. I find myself staring at the watch a lot. I'm in for it, aren't I?:)

3 more still incoming! I'll share as they arrive. Let me know how you think I did.

Cheers!

seamaster cosmic shoot 2-1.jpg seamaster cosmic shoot 2-3.jpg seamaster cosmic shoot 2-4.jpg seamaster cosmic with coffee.jpg
    Edited Nov 20, 2017
    bruceb75, D YOUNG and mikechi22 like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 20, 2017

Looks nice, good job for your first Omega.

One reason to fit the correct Omega crystal to these is the special stepped tension ring holds the movement in place properly.

mydeafcat, 1jansen and desmovalves like this.
  3. desmovalves Nov 20, 2017

Thanks! I had no idea. Reading through the forum I've noticed you know your stuff, and also seem to have a lot of nice watches FS :)

4. dan7800 Nov 20, 2017

Looking forward to seeing the next 3. Nice Cosmic. IMHO I feel like they are a very under appreciated watch.

mikechi22 and desmovalves like this.
  5. desmovalves Nov 20, 2017

You and me both! Thank you. I like the monocoque case design, this one has me thinking about the later C-case Constellations.

6. Morimori Nov 26, 2017

Hi Everyone,

don't want to crash your threat, yet i have a very similar 136017 Manual Wind SP Tool 107. I've attached pictures. i think my Chrystal is also not original and was replaced (cyclops?!). Also, i think it hasn't seen a revision or service in over 3 decades. Any advice as to how to get it back in absolutely original condition? Thanks a lot guys! 20171126_191237.jpg 20171126_191249.jpg 20171126_191257.jpg 20171126_191313.jpg 20171126_191321.jpg 20171126_191329.jpg 20171126_191339.jpg

7. georgeszaslavsky Nov 26, 2017

Congrats on a very nice Cosmic which is a steady and reliable workhorse

8. D YOUNG Nov 26, 2017

Morimori it looks like you have an original omega signed crystal. You can see the omega symbol in the center in the second photo