Forums Latest Members
  1. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

Hi all,

I've been using the incredible resource on this forum and learnt loads in a short period. I recently decided to try to put my new knowledge into practice and pulled the trigger on this Constellation 167.005. I'm using the images from the site for the movement shots but the other photos are mine.

I felt quite nervous about buying a watch I could not inspect but checked the serial number, did the 'MOY' test looked at pictures of comparable models online, looked out for signs of over enthusiastic polishing etc. My only slight reservation is that the crown might not be right and the edges are not quite as sharp as they should be but overall I think I've done ok for a first go?

IMG_7585.JPG IMG_7587.JPG IMG_7588.JPG IMG_7589.JPG IMG_7590.JPG IMG_7591.JPG IMG_7592.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 14, 2018

Couple of issues that I see right away: It has been polished to death. Lume on dial but not on hands. I'm sure there's more but that's enough to keep me away. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

chronoboy64 and Dan S like this.
  3. chipsotoole Sep 14, 2018

Yeah the polish is really severe..a lot of crisp lines to the case have gone blurry.

vicakers likes this.
  4. bags1971 Sep 14, 2018

very nice as others have said its been polished but enjoy your first vintage :thumbsup:

MauiSurfBrah, Spruce and vicakers like this.
  5. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

No probs. all a really helpful learning process!

6. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

thank you, weirdly I really like it despite the polishing!

ClarendonVintage and Mossback like this.
  7. Mossback Sep 14, 2018

If you are happy with it that's the most important thing. As another new member I think it looks great.

dan7800 and vicakers like this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 14, 2018

Wait until you have been around a while. That attitude will change.

Mossback and chronoboy64 like this.
  9. BenBagbag Sep 14, 2018

It's a redial. :(

Fonts spaced out way too much and wrong. Minute hashes appear too long as well.

Willem023 and Noddyman like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 14, 2018

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 14, 2018

I'm not 100% on a redial but there has been work on the lume and of some sort on the dial.

12. MauiSurfBrah Sep 14, 2018

I'm sure you are comfortable with what you paid for it, and obviously bought it because it called to you or just plain liked the way it looked. Whatever your reason, enjoy it! I only recently started getting more into watch collecting, but I've always been into restoring vintage Fiat sports cars. Sometimes I just couldn't source an authentic Italian part and would have to use my resourcefulness to rebuild a carburetor or distributor. It would get the car back on the track and in the end that's what matters most. Even if the watch is not 100% matching original, if it keeps time, makes you smile when you put it on, or when you check the time, then there's no reason to feel sour about it. Besides, we all gotta start somewhere. Cheers!

paulw, vicakers, OHS and 1 other person like this.
  13. Noddyman Sep 14, 2018

+1

14. OHS Sep 14, 2018

I agree that the number one thing is that it makes you smile and you enjoy it.
    I think in general unless you get lucky and chance upon something somewhere random it's safer to buy watches from the private sales section here where you're more likely to get a good honest watch and a pleasant buying experience (I'm sure these guys will happily let someone know pretty quickly if they're listing something dodgy!).
    But saying that my first purchase was from eBay and it's a bit over polished but still gets the most wear as I worry less about damaging it than the others and it still makes me happy so it's all good :)
    I go to a stack of auctions every month with work and I've seen professionals hawking much worse redials as perfectly good watches so you're/ we're doing ok!

vicakers and MauiSurfBrah like this.
  15. dan7800 Sep 14, 2018

Why oh why do people polish things that much? If you want a shiny pretty watch, buy something new.

OHS and efauser like this.
  16. Shabbaz Sep 14, 2018

There are a couple of reasons why I would be hesitant to buy this besides the polishing. The dial raises some questions. I dont like the shape of the m. The spacing between the e and the l looks to small. And the n bugs me. So I vote redial. But again, if you like it, who cares....

20180914_225813.jpg
    vicakers likes this.
  17. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

Nope read that one:)
    Really cool, thanks man.

18. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

Good tips, thanks Shabbaz! Forensic stuff!

19. vicakers Sep 14, 2018

Great tip, thanks. I'll enjoy wearing it [but will look out for the good stuff here!]

20. paulw Sep 15, 2018

I came to this forum to get guidance on my watch as a lurker, spent weeks rummaging through old threads, joined and asked about repairers and unfortunately found the whole watch 'thing' rather fascinating. Start looking at watches on sale, getting as many details from the adds as possible, checking against the Omega vintage watch facility, specific searches on here, google images...and decided that Constellation's were fraught with issues and I basically steer clear of them ;) though I do occasionally watch their progressPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network out of interest.
    Paul