Forums Latest Members
  1. robmict Oct 21, 2015

Hello, I have been reading feverishly about vintage Omegas. There is so much to learn, correct hands, dial, correct case, so on and so forth. Where do you guys learn all of this? Anyhow, the anticipation got to me and I purchased a 2635-6 with low 13m serial number putting it around 1952. The only problem is the engraving on the case back. Can one source a new case back or is it ill advised? I would also like your guys opinions on it, don't worry you will not hurt my feelings, I am trying to learn and you guys seem knowledgeable. I did not take the pics, so if you need more I will take some when I have hands on the watch. Thanks for your time.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Hijak Oct 21, 2015

Better pictures are always a plus. These pictures make it difficult to determine dial originality for sure but I would hazard a guess and say it looks pretty good. I have a similar ref. 2635 and yours looks good overall (hands, crown, case). Mine for comparison...
    7.JPG
    Yours should have the cal. 354 automatic bumper inside and I wouldn't worry about not having Seamaster on your dial, I believe they came both ways. When you get this in your hands post some clear pictures of the dial and we can better determine its originality. It looks like you picked up a nice ref. 2635 but maybe next time you should ask for advice before you buy to avoid any disappointment!:)

Edited Oct 21, 2015
    Giff2577 and cristos71 like this.
  3. Hijak Oct 21, 2015

Oh and about the case back, no these are not available anymore. You may be able to find a used one on ebay or the likes but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. The engraving isn't bad at all and it gives the watch a bit of character.:thumbsup:

P.S. and if its this George Chambers thats pretty cool...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Chambers

Willem023 likes this.
  4. robmict Oct 21, 2015

I will definitely ask before I buy my speedmaster. This one didn't set me back very much and it's purchase was kind of an accident. I will post better pictures when I have watch in hand.

5. robmict Oct 21, 2015

I will have to see if there is anyway of getting more information on previous owner. I will leave the engraving and not worry about it.