My first vintage Omega: did I make it right?

Hi all,

I own a pair of Speedmasters, I love Omega brand and I wanted to start a vintage Omega collection. I'm reading (and paying attention) a lot. I'm aware about the fact that there are a lot of fakes and redialed watches.
But when I I've seen this, I bought it. Even if I suspect is a redial, I love it.
The caliber is 601, the S/N points to 1965, even if the seller says it's from 1962 (circa).
I would like have your expert opinions.

Thanks in advance for you time and patience with a real vintage noob.

Enough words, here the images (seller ones, the watch will be in my hands tomorrow):
p.png b.png c.png d.png e.png

Why a photo from Chrono 24. Does the seller own the watch?

These are the only photos I have, the watch will arrive tomorrow. I've bought it on Chrono24 by a professional seller.

Why a photo from Chrono 24. Does the seller own the watch?

I would imagine the seller had it listed on chrono24 and that's where our OP bought it?

Edit: oops I see our OP answered while I was typing 👍

Honestly the handwind movements are great, I think automatics in non-sealed watches are stupid useless gimmicks - you can't feel the spring fully wound

But be careful with that watch, it's probably a re-dial because that case design makes it so easy for water to get in, so don't put the watch near water 😀

Also gold, it must've cost a lot 😁

The linen dial models are difficult to redial well, this could well be original IMO.

It is not solid gold...

It is not solid gold...
Ah, didn't pay attention

When I see a gold colored (inner) caseback I just assume it's a gold watch

The clue is the GF letters, it is not a Swiss case. I suspect it is a US market locally cased watch, it has the OXG mark on the movement for instance.

The clue is the GF letters, it is not a Swiss case. I suspect it is a US market locally cased watch, it has the OXG mark on the movement for instance.

Please, can you explain? GF stands for Gold Filled, it says the seller, but I have no clue of what this means... OXG stands for? Thanks.

Honestly the handwind movements are great, I think automatics in non-sealed watches are stupid useless gimmicks - you can't feel the spring fully wound

But be careful with that watch, it's probably a re-dial because that case design makes it so easy for water to get in, so don't put the watch near water 😀
I too have had one of these linen dials and OP's looks legit to me.

Please, can you explain? GF stands for Gold Filled, it says the seller, but I have no clue of what this means... OXG stands for? Thanks.
OXG is a US import mark assigned to Norman Morris Co., who distributed Omega watches in the USA at the time this one was made.

For the differences between gold plated, filled and capped watch cases, I suggest you read the following article:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//GoldCap.pdf

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

OXG is a US import mark assigned to Norman Morris Co., who distributed Omega watches in the USA at the time this one was made.

For the differences between gold plated, filled and capped watch cases, I suggest you read the following article:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//GoldCap.pdf

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

That's precious info for me, thanks!

I would like to say thanks for all your answers. Now I've got a couple more questions:

(1) I've paid 460€, around 550 US$, does it make sense?
(2) The seller will send the original strap AND a new one. Does it make sense to use the old metal parts on the new strap (supposing I find a good place where to make the job)?

Thanks again.

If you mean you have an Omega buckle, yes, they are worth $50 alone

And the job is an easy one like replacing the strap, it's connected with the same pin design

If you mean you have an Omega buckle, yes, they are worth $50 alone

And the job is an easy one like replacing the strap, it's connected with the same pin design

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Today I should receive the watch.

The thing is most 16mm Omega Buckle's are on the more expensive side - most old straps were 18mm on the lugs, and 14mm on the buckle

Most new straps are 18mm on the lugs, 16mm on the buckle

So if you get an 14mm buckle, it could be hard to find an 18mm strap that narrows down to 14mm

I have an Omega Geneve with a 22mm strap that narrows down to 16mm for example, impossible to find a strap that size for cheap 😁

The thing is most 16mm Omega Buckle's are on the more expensive side - most old straps were 18mm on the lugs, and 14mm on the buckle

Most new straps are 18mm on the lugs, 16mm on the buckle

So if you get an 14mm buckle, it could be hard to find an 18mm strap that narrows down to 14mm

I have an Omega Geneve with a 22mm strap that narrows down to 16mm for example, impossible to find a strap that size for cheap 😁

The seller reports 16 mm on the lugs. I'll see today. Thanks.

The seller reports 16 mm on the lugs. I'll see today. Thanks.

The strap in the photos is likely 16mm, but there is a fairly big gap. I'm pretty sure you'll find that it takes a 18mm strap.
Edited:

Good morning all, I have received the watch. What a marvel! The dimension is somehow small for my (also small) wrist. I've changed the strap, using the one the seller included in the package. I've stored the original Omega one, I'll decide and see later what to do with that.
I expected the classic pin but what I got is these three pieces in the following photo. Basically are two cylinders with pins inside and a spring in between. The two cylinders are covered with some green dirt material that I don't know.
Sorry for the bad picture:

IMG_2044.jpg

And finally here it is on my wrist: