Forums Latest Members
  1. cnjackson Jul 25, 2016

Dear All--I believe this is my first post on the Omega Forums. I found my way here a little while ago in trying to learn a bit more about this watch (sorry for the very poor images: I have only my phone, and no photography skills to speak of!).

IMG_20160725_175431458.jpg
    IMG_20160725_175657060.jpg

This watch (as well as a gold-capped and gold-dial version of it) used to belong to my grandfather on my mother's side. I believe he purchased it new in the 1950s. My parents had it serviced and have gifted it to me as a sort of heirloom. I received it about a week ago. It keeps good time, though its power reserve is not long. I have put it on a worn Nomos strap.

I am relatively new to watches and have only a small, modest collection--and this is my only Omega and only vintage watch. I would love to learn more about it.

So far, I've gathered that this Constellation is from the early 1950s. It has a bumper movement, and it is fascinating to feel and hear it bouncing away inside.

I must say that I immediately liked the watch, but it is also growing on me in a slower more gradual way as I come to appreciate its feel, proportions, and grace.

The first thing I want to note is the dial: it is what I assume was once a black dial that, in the last 60-odd years has faded or patinated to a kind of brown that I'm having a hard time naming. But there is some warmth to the dial now, and in natural light it almost shimmers.

The dial also has a sort of bumpy texture that I really like. I think it's called a "waffle dial"? What I like about it is that it adds depth and dimension to the dial: it increases the sheer amount of surface area and this multiplies the ways light reflects off of it. It's a very mobile, active dial. It works well with all of the interesting facets of the indices (are they called "arrowhead" markers?). I'm also just stunned by the precision of the tiny text on such a textured surface.

My tastes tend towards stainless steel and silver, so I was a little uncertain about the gold indices. At first, the gold seemed a bit busy alongside the black dial and the stainless steel case. But as I've worn the watch to work and about the house, I've started to appreciate the interest of the three-color palette. The gold adds an unexpected visual interest to the watch, making it feel--at least to me--a bit more lively than more understated silver tones would do. I wouldn't have chosen it for myself, but I like it.

There are some other wonderful visual effects that surprised me--and that I love. I love the acrylic crystal, which seems so warm and alive (as compared the the always cold-feeling of sapphire). I love the way it distorts light and sometimes, at certain angles, seems to glow.

Something else I love is harder for me to explain because I don't have the proper watch vocabulary. There is a circular plane that angles up from the dial itself (under the crystal). I think it might be called the "rehaut"? On this watch, the rehaut has been polished to a mirror finish, and at certain angles you can see clean but distorted reflections of the world around the watch. Again, it adds movement and vitality to my experience of the watch.

The last thing I want to note, at least for now, after just a week's living with the watch, is the overall shape and feel of the watch. I'm more accustomed to wearing watches in the 38-40mm range. So this watch is a bit smaller than what I'm used to. But its proportions--its visual grace--are marvellous. It's all rounded and curving lines. Even in profile, the watch is an elongated oval. I really like the way this watch wears for me (I have pretty slim wrists).

Oof--that was a lot more than I meant to write. I've just had a rich experience with the watch even in just the last few days. As I said above, I'd welcome any information you might have about it. I'd also welcome the chance to learn more about these vintage Constellations. I can feel them calling to me right now!

Thanks!

- Chris

Edited Jul 25, 2016
  2. Edward53 Jul 25, 2016

Let me be the first to congratulate you on acquiring an extremely attractive and highly collectable watch. I am not nearly as knowledgable as some of the other folks here but I'm pretty confident that you have a truly superb Constellation there. I've been collecting about three years and I haven't found one as nice as that. Those black dials are notorious for being faked / refinished but even on the basis of that one photo, yours looks spot on.

ahartfie likes this.
  3. TNTwatch Jul 25, 2016

Nice writing on a great heirloom!

It's either a 2652 or 2782 depending on what case back it has. Show us the back as well as the inside if you can. Here's the best source of information for Constellations: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.ca.

Edited Jul 25, 2016
    ahartfie likes this.
  4. cnjackson Jul 25, 2016

Hi Edward53! Thanks for this nice reply! and for the congratulations. I am a complete beginner with vintage Constellations, but I think I'm starting to understand why so many people love them.

That's really interesting what you say about black dials. From reading around here, I've gathered that untouched (right word?) black dials are not altogether common. I'm glad it looks legitimate to you! I hope that others will comment on this, too.

Thank you!

- Chris

5. cnjackson Jul 25, 2016

Hi TNTwatch! thank you for your kind words! This is the first time I've ever felt moved to write about a watch--and I quickly realized how hard it is to convey what I like about it--especially without good pictures!

Unfortunately, the caseback has certainly seen better days. I think that someone, long ago, may have tried to unscrew the caseback without a tool, but rather with pliers! There is some real damage to the caseback. If I'm right about that, I'm not sure what that person was thinking! I'll put a picture up tomorrow.

The caseback does have a gold-colored constellation medallion in the center.

I admit I don't feel entirely comfortable opening the watch up--I only have one of those rectangular caseback openers...

And thank you for the link--what an impressive resource! I've read a few articles in it: there's a lot to learn there!

Thanks again!

Chris

6. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2016

Chris, you had a great first post and a nice heirloom. :thumbsup: ::psy:: The bezel still has a defined facet and the black waffle dial looks to be original with very coveted arrowhead markers.

Then I saw a cat picture for your avatar and I lost all respect for you. :thumbsdown: :(

Just kidding! :p

...... sort of. :D

cnjackson and OMGRLX like this.
  7. cnjackson Jul 25, 2016

Haha! I don't think I've ever been judged for my cat avatars! But that is the cat we got for my daughter a couple of years ago--and she's a household favorite (well--both cat and daughter are). :)

Thank you for the nice words--I'm really happy about the watch--and happy to have a place to talk about it! Can you say more about the defined facet for the bezel--and what that means? (I think it has something to do with not over-polishing...?)

Thank you!

Chris

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 25, 2016

Congrats on a nice heirloom. A constellation with an original black textured dial with arrowhead markers is rare - have only seen a handful over the past few years (yours is the 5th or 6th I've seen in the past 7-8 years).

9. Ravineman Jul 25, 2016

Very nice watch, and yours is the first Constellation I really have seen that I liked. Most of my better watches are gold, and I think you'll enjoy the gold and steel combination. Wear it in good health !

10. TNTwatch Jul 25, 2016

I usually prefer nice pictures to long writings on this forum, but I was really impressed with your first post here!

Since it has a screw-in back, the reference number is 2652. It's the first screw back Constellation, a nice thing to have in addition to the rare dial variant. It's apparently been serviced recently so there's no need to open the back. Just enjoy it in good health.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 25, 2016

Great post
    And congratulations on your Connie
    Do try and post an in- focus pic of the dial
    We'd like to enjoy your watch as much as you obviously do !

12. Hijak Jul 26, 2016

A black waffle dial, arrow head markers and family history to boot...I'd say you just hit the vintage watch jackpot! Beautiful watch:thumbsup: and I must add, I'm a little jealous.::love::

13. Dr No Jul 26, 2016

Meet your younger brother.

DSCN0664.JPG

1957 ref 2852 with a full rotor cal 505 movement. Rose gold furniture over an engraved black dial matched to a steel case.

Don't apologize for your photos: this is a practically impossible dial to capture with normal photographic equipment. My best attempts . . .

DSC01152.jpg

. . . still leave a lot to be desired.

DSC03711.jpg

Can't add much, other than it's the watch I've bonded most closely with. At my watchmaker currently for routine servicing; can't wait for its return.

Cordially,

Art

Jacquot, Longbow, cnjackson and 6 others like this.
  14. Maybe Jul 26, 2016

Not bad, quite a start for a collection. Congrats!

15. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

Wow--thank you all for your nice replies. I'm very pleased to know that the watch appears to be authentic and in relatively nice shape. Thank you, too, for all the information--about model number and so on.

In the last day or so, I have been reading around The Omega Forum and learning a lot. This is a great community.

I will post some pictures of the casebook later today. I'll also see if I can get some nicer shots of the dial: not sure whether my phone can do much...

16. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

Hi MSN: that's very exciting--I really had no idea that this watch was so uncommon! I feel very fortunate!

17. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

The gold with steel is really growing on me!

18. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

Thank you! I'll try today!

19. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

Oh my goodness--that is a beautiful watch! and beautiful pictures of it. It looks like it's in perfect condition. I know that my phone won't be able to do what you've done!

20. cnjackson Jul 28, 2016

Here are a few more pics. I am still trying to learn how to take better photos with just my not-very-good phone camera.

First, here is one of the caseback. As you can see, it is a bit mangled. Again, I imagine that someone who didn't know better--a long time ago-- tried to open the caseback with a pair of pliers. Now that I know a bit more about the watch, I am even sadder about this damage. I wonder: is it possible to acquire just a replacement caseback? Would that even be a good idea?
    IMG_20160727_192143754.jpg

And then here are two more attempts to capture some of the texture and detail of the dial. Sorry--they're not great, but I found them interesting!

IMG_20160728_111951102.jpg IMG_20160728_112049876.jpg

They're blurrier when they're blown up like this--not sure how to shrink them. And also not sure how to get rid of the reflections. But here they are!

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

Chris

[Edited to add: PS. And I'm not sure why the first picture appears again at the end of the post... Can't see how to get rid of it.]

IMG_20160727_192143754.jpg
    Edited Jul 28, 2016
    GregH, ahartfie and noelekal like this.