Forums Latest Members
  1. jopex Sep 7, 2014

I decided it's time to add some vintage flavor into my collection. I didn't want to rush into bigger purchases so I bought the basic seamaster 30 with 35mm case.
    What I know about it from seller's info:
    - cal 286
    - plexi has been changed since the original had cracked
    - it has some inscription on the back from 1967 (is it possible to take it off and should I do it?)
    - it's been serviced recently

Other then that does it looks ok to you? Here are some seller's pics (I should pick it up in a few days):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Josip

Darlinboy and initialjh like this.
  2. Hexicon Sep 7, 2014

Very clean & tidy. Like the strap with the stitching detail. And the inscription can be buffed out if you wanted.

3. jopex Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the info. So it's not a franken?
    Gonna pay for it today then and see about the inscription when it arrives. Already purchased a new strap for it. :)
    Do you know what is approximate value of these?

4. Hexicon Sep 8, 2014

Its a cal.286 so thats one of the early ones. Everything looks very neat (movement , dial , hands , case) ... As for value. I have seen these go for 350.00 euros at auction. Right up to 900.00 euros from some dealers.

5. jopex Sep 9, 2014

Thaks a lot for all the info Hexicon, appreciate it!

6. bieb1 Sep 9, 2014

As to your question about the inscription, for a number of collectors this is a turn-off and it reduces the value in the open market compared to un-inscribed examples. If you are not bothered by it, I suggest you leave it as it is. Inscriptions are usually pretty deep, so buffing them out will take a lot of metal off the back and certainly remove the seamaster logo - which would create a much bigger issue.

Personally, I like vintage watches for their history and that includes any inscription, so enjoy the watch as it is, it certainly looks very nice in the pictures.

7. jopex Sep 9, 2014

Thanks, I thought about leaving it as it is due to too much metal removal issue resulting in buffing. I missed the postman today so I'll pick it up at the post office tomorrow.

8. speedbird Sep 9, 2014

Looks great. Mine is on an 1168 bracelet, white guilloche dial, 1964. Can't beat the SM30

9. speedbird Sep 9, 2014

Hijak and jopex like this.
  10. jopex Sep 9, 2014

Oh wow.. that's a stunner for sure. I quickly googled the braclet and it seems it costs more then the watch head, lol!

But that combo is really perfect.
    I wonder if BOR braclet would fit? I'll also try with some no name aftermarket bracelets I already have at home.

11. speedbird Sep 9, 2014

Thanks jopex

I had a BoR on it until I found the 1168. I like the oyster style and it really accents the watch.

12. jopex Sep 10, 2014

Well I picked it up today and I quite like it. Size is nice for a vintage piece and sunburst dial is nice too. Dial has some really tiny spots/dots on it, not noticable when wearing it (is it patina?). But overall it seems to me it's in really nice condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hexicon and Hijak like this.
  13. Hijak Sep 10, 2014

Looks great, congratulations on a nice pick up!:thumbsup:

jopex likes this.
  14. jopex Sep 10, 2014

Thanks!

One shot with the rest of the Omega family. :)

[​IMG]

15. speedbird Sep 10, 2014

Fantastic jopex! Classy watch to wear with a tie or jeans

jopex likes this.