Forums Latest Members
  1. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

hi, everyone, i am new to UG and this forum but after browsing the forum, i found this is a really nice place for making some friends who love UG to death!

i am thinking about getting my first UG but due to my lack of knowledge in UG, i would have to ask for your helps:). i am currently considering three UGs and i want to know if any of the dials is repainted? any part not original? and anything i should watch when make the purchase? here are the links to the three watches i am currently looking at:
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/univers...order=1&tab=pics&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm.

https://www.chrono24.com/en/univers...icnum=0&tab=pics&urlSubpath=/user/notepad.htm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-GENEVE-GOLD-PLATED-VINTAGE-GENTS-WATCH-/221281830720Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

the third UG is the one i am most interested in. the dial looks super clean so its a bit suspicious. here is a pic of the third UG but sadly no movement pic provided: View attachment 55649
    looking forward to your reply and have a nice day everyone.

2. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

sorry about the pics not showing, here it is:
    ob0943.jpg

3. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

4. timeismoney May 16, 2014

Welcome To the forum. I am no expert but the third one is definitely the worst selection you can make out of the three, no offense. The gold plating is almost worn off and the dial is disastrously re-painted, I would avoid the third one like the plague.

Aesthetically, I like the second one, the patina looks right and all the elements look right without looking at the Sala book on serial number. But I would ask for more pictures of the caseback, movement etc if you were to spend that kind of money. Wait for the experts to weight in. Good luck.

alexchrysanthou likes this.
  5. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

i actually agree, the third one, after a second thought, is not that good at all:). i have asked the seller for the movement pics and hopefully, he will send it to me.

6. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

please see the movement 20140516_150931.jpg 20140516_151008.jpg

7. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

check out the movement pics. cheers.

8. alexchrysanthou May 16, 2014

just bought it anyway, see what happens.

9. ELV web May 18, 2014

I don't want to be a party pooper but I really second time in money opinion. Also the ref no. 22279 points to it being a steel case not a gold plated case (gold plated should start with something else that is not 2 (1 is gold, 2 is steel, 5 is 14k gold, 7 is white gold, 9 is platinum). I think gold plated should start with a 4 (experts here please correct me if I am wrong). If the case back doesn't match the watch it is definitely a no no and the best thing to do is to ask the seller you can't take it because of this mismatch. You will find one for sure, just take some more time to hunt (that is the fun part) :)

10. ELV web May 18, 2014

I am talking about the third one, if you bought the second one then the above comment is totally irrelevant :p my apologies for that.

alexchrysanthou likes this.
  11. alexchrysanthou May 18, 2014

hi, thank you very much. i did not buy the watch original price and i think the watch you are talking about is the first one and i bought the second one. the case number is for the second one not the first one:). so it does match as a steel case. sorry for the confusion caused as i did not specifically say these pics are not the pics of the same watch. many thanks for the information again.

best

Alex

12. alexchrysanthou May 18, 2014

haha, just saw it. cheers.

13. timeismoney May 18, 2014

::popcorn::