Forums Latest Members
  1. southard Aug 13, 2018

I took my Seamaster in for service and the Jeweler showed me a Speedy for $2,400 USD. My uneducated assessment is that it looks great with some minor wear on the bezel. The jeweler estimated it was made in the late 1980s. The jeweler insisted it is an automatic and not manual wind movement.

So I started research and found OF.

The Speedy in question has a case back with a hippocampus, but none of the NASA engraving. This would date the case back to 1970 or earlier, right?

The hands are the straight hands. The lume doesn't appear yellow on the hands not dial, so I am inclined to believe the watch is younger than the 80's. I can't remember if "professional" is on the dial. Compared to my Seamaster, it it larger, so I think I can safely say it is not a Reduced Speedy.

At $2,400, it seems to a good price for a Speedy. If this is a frankenwatch or redial, is it still a good deal? Can it really be an automatic; what reference would that be?

The watch isn't on display, so I'm sure it will still be there next week. I'll decide if I should take another look at it based on your responses.

2. abrod520 Aug 13, 2018

We'll have to see pictures to be sure what we're looking at. If you're not sure whether it's a Reduced, then best not to purchase - $2,400 is way too much for a Reduced, and depending on the originality of the watch, could be too much for even a pre-moon Speedmaster.

Davidt and southard like this.
  3. igatomic Aug 13, 2018

Pictures would help...having said that, yes, Omega makes automatic Speedmasters, and yes there shouldn't be any NASA engraving as the automatics didn't qualify for space flight, only the manual ones...

A quick search on ebay shows them selling at 1400ish on the low end and 2k on the high end with box and papers included.

southard likes this.
  4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 13, 2018

It will say automatic on the dial if it is a Speedmaster "reduced". $2400 is a ripoff.

5. southard Aug 13, 2018

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm confident it is not a Reduced, and it would be overpriced. But, I am very glad you said it might be overpriced for a pre-moon. That gives me a new perspective on these values.

6. southard Aug 13, 2018

I think this is most likely what the Speedy is. I think I will have to pass and check eBay. Thank you so much.

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 13, 2018

Wait a minute! a "pre-moon for $2400 overpriced?". Before this thread spins out of control, we need to see pics. Tell you what, give me the phone number and address of this jeweler and I will get to the bottom of this.

Davidt, Foo2rama and southard like this.
  8. southard Aug 13, 2018

I'm pretty sure it isn't reduced. But I don't recall automatic being on the dial either.

9. southard Aug 13, 2018

Lol. That is more of what I expected. Now I'm confused. I'll check it out again next week, but I now think it is a newer automatic.

10. abrod520 Aug 13, 2018

Without photos, we don't know if it's got a service bezel, luminova dial & hands, and polished-down case.... $2400 is great for a nicely sorted pre-moon with at least a stepped dial, but sight-unseen? No

Davidt likes this.
  11. southard Aug 13, 2018

If this is a full sized auto, what references should I research? Will it certainly say automatic o it?

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 13, 2018

The automatics have 'automatic' printed on the dials.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 13, 2018

Trying to work out If this watch is worth buying is like trying to answer if you would date a girl

Is she pretty?
    She’s blonde
    Is she fun
    She’s blonde
    How old is she?
    She’s blonde
    Is she married?
    She’s blonde
    Does she have a record?
    She’s blonde

menherreli, southard, JanV and 2 others like this.