Forums Latest Members

My first Speedmaster - a year on the wrist.

1. Maximus84 Nov 25, 2015

So, it's been a year since I bought my brand new Speedy Pro 311.30.42.30.01.006 (sapphire sandwich) and I thought I'd post my experiences over the last year.

I had long liked Omegas from an early age, although I didn't really know it. My grandad had a '76 quartz Constellation that I used to admire and play with as a kid (and is now mine), and I remember looking through jewellers Windows poring over the watches, finding myself drawn to Omegas, and Speedmasters in particular. I never for one second though I'd ever be able to buy one.

Then last year, while I was off work with a long-term injury I started doing some research, and found myself getting fascinated with mechanical watches and all things horological. It became apparent that I might be able to purchase a nice mechanical after all, on the understanding it would be a lifetime watch, with all the character and memories that go with it. I again was drawn to Omegas, and Sleedmasters, and initially went for the 2012 Racing model, with the 3330 (I believe) calibre automatic movement. image.jpeg
    However, it wasn't long before the lure of the Pro got me (and with sound advice from a lot of members here I might add, thank you) after trying on the Pro I knew that was the one. It felt more classic, understated and timeless and the Racing just didn't live up to it. I knew I wanted sapphire not only for the extra resilience of the crystal (let's not get into that debate!) but as my first mechanical, I wanted to view that beautiful movement.

The Pro was mine. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Anyway, I bought this watch as an everyday wearer and that is exactly what it has been. I had to send it back under warranty after a couple of weeks due to there being visible debris in the movement but that's all. Back in the UK it was running a solid +2/3spd. I spent a couple of months in Las Vegas when it ran about +5spd.

As I knew I was going on deployment over the back end of the summer for a few months, I thought it would make sense to put it on the supplied NATO, in order to protect the bracelet (which had already accrued a few scratches and marks) and because it would be more comfortable in the dry, hot, sandy heat. I did have reservations about bringing such an expensive timepiece on a military deployment but I figured not only is it a tool watch, designed to be used, but any marks etc would enhance the character, and provide a reminder of my time away.

It has been pretty much faultless. I did accidentally magnetise the movement early on, but since I have resolved that it's kept perfect time - I have not adjusted the time manually in over 2 months, and it is within 2secs of atomic time. Pretty damn good! The NATO strap has been comfortable and tough, the lume has allowed me to read the time all through the night in a darkened room. The chrono has helped me at least twice a day going about my job and I still marvel at the intricate details on the dial, and the superb craftsmanship in the movement. I even enjoy winding it up every day!

It's been a great first year of ownership, the first of many I'm sure. I'm also well and truly hooked on mechanical timepieces. It'll be a while before I can afford another Omega (the Great White is quickly becoming my Grail) so for the time being I am about to acquire a Seiko SKX009J to fulfil my 'diver' and 'beater' needs. I visit this site every day and I'm always interested in what's being asked/posted about. I'm slowly learning more and more and I hope to increase my fledgling collection in the future!

And finally, a couple of more recent pics...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Mad Dog, Fusion, Dombo63 and 7 others like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 25, 2015

Great little review :thumbsup:

I had my Speedmaster with me for half of my deployment as well, my reasoning was the same as yours.

3. PatrickJ Nov 25, 2015

The manual wind is so convenient as the watch is not worn by me every day. The Submariner and the Speedmaster have remain relatively unchanged in approximately 60 years. Great history!

4. jud Nov 25, 2015

Nice write up.

PatrickJ likes this.
  5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Nov 25, 2015

Good account and pics. It's difficult to pin down why, but a Prof just satisfies in so many ways.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 25, 2015

Nice write up. Great to see a tool watch being used as intended!

... and great to see deployment used in the right context!

7. Dombo63 Nov 26, 2015

Now a NATO strap in your regimental colours would be very cool; friend of mine, ex-Grenadier, has one in the Brigade of Guards dark blue and red.

Maximus84 likes this.
  8. Maximus84 Nov 26, 2015

Thanks guys. There isn't really anything about the watch itself that hasn't already been said a thousand times, but as its so classic and so iconic, it's about the experience and connection with the watch I find.

Oddboy - I was going to make a comment about the use of deployant vs deployment, but I'm glad somebody picked up on the correct use of the term while talking about watches!

OmegaRookie, PatrickJ and oddboy like this.
  9. Dombo63 Nov 26, 2015

Btw, how did you magnetise the movement? I am still in the early stages of Speedy ownership so still baby the thing, whipping it off and replacing with the G-shock whenever doing anything remotely physical or wet.

10. Maximus84 Nov 26, 2015

I believe I left it too close to my iPad - those magnetic covers are enough to throw it off. It was running about 30-35 seconds per day fast. A quick blast with a demagnetiser sorted it and to been bang on ever since (and I've been more careful with placing near permanent magnetic fields!)

11. VillageIdiot Nov 27, 2015

I have an iPad Pro, and there are magnets all over it. Most are smallish, and I have no idea if they're strong enough to magnetize a watch. Looking at the iPad Pro display with the home button on the bottom (with any cover completely removed):

1. There are magnets along the right edge. There also appear to be magnets along the left edge, but this could simply be the iPad case having been magnetized by the strong magnet on the smart cover that I'm using.

2. There is also some magnet in the middle of the display, about 1/3 of the display width from the right side. This seems to be strongest on the bottom.

3. There are small magnets in each of the four speakers (of course), near each of the four corners.

If you add the smart cover, there is a strong magnet along the left edge (this is the magnet used to hold the cover onto the iPad), and there are magnets along the right edge. There's also a magnet in the cover that roughly corresponds to the location of magnet #2, above, but I have no idea what it's for.

12. deepcdweller Nov 28, 2015

Never go Wrong with SpeedyPro Patch Ltd.!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1448761616241.jpeg

13. deepcdweller Nov 28, 2015

ups!! please excuse for my little dirty foot

14. alam Nov 29, 2015

calling @cicindela , a photo needs urgent touch!

:p