Forums Latest Members
  1. boffster Jul 9, 2012

Hi,
    First post :)

Many years ago my father lent me his Seamaster (60´s vintage) and now that I´m approaching 40 I feel it´s time to grow up and get a proper watch. Budget restrictions (got up to about $400 to spend) mean that I am bottom feeding on Ebay. I am looking for an every day wearer and am not hugely fussed about minor inconsistencies (wrong hands for example) but equally don´t want to end up with something really silly either.
    So what I am looking for is a 60´s model Automatic Seamaster, gold plated or s. steel that´s going to keep good time.

I am considering this one, but the movement and case back does not seem to match the top (as per what I am seeing on the Omega database).

1967 Classic OMEGA SEAMASTER Calendar Aut 565 Gold Filled/SSteelPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any critical advice gratefully received, and many thanks in advance.

2. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Hi boffster. That looks okay to me and might sell in your range. The 166.0010 was created in '62 with a caliber 562, and switched to the caliber 565 in '65. Plus the caseback of -67 and the movement's serial number jive as being from 1967. Looks like the right font on the dial too. If you're lucky that gunk/patina will clean off the dial if dipped in Haggerty's jewelry cleaner and rinsed with distilled water. The crispness has been polished off, but that's something you might have to live with inside your budget. You might want to look as Seamaster De Villes from 1963 - 1967. You'll probably get a watch in much better condition for the money.

3. boffster Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I've put in a sensible bid. Let's see what happens. There's something about a lot of the lower priced de ville's I see that just doesn't grab me the way the proper seamasters do. But beggars and choosers.......

4. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Take a look at the Genève line then. Many used the same cases and calibers as their Seamaster cousins, but can be bought for a hundred or two less in similar condition.

5. boffster Jul 9, 2012

Happy days! Got that watch for $285. That leaves me some money for a clean and a service. Can anyone recommend me someone in Australia (Sydney). If not, the name Jesse seems to crop up a lot. Is he in the States?

6. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Contact Steve - member N2FHL. Start a conversation with him about servicing your new watch.

Congrats, that's a good price for it. :thumbsup:

7. boffster Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for all your help. I´ve messaged the guy.