Forums Latest Members
  1. brr1980 Apr 29, 2015

Hi all,

I recently picked up my very first vintage Omega (actually, my first ever vintage watch). I am told it is a 1961 Seamaster 14390-61-SC with cal. 285 movement, but I have not actually popped open the back. It was serviced before I bought it and is keeping great time. I just bought it because I liked it and was in need of a daily watch, and I didn't too much research beforehand. But I think this has started a bit of an obsession for me because now I'm geeking out over vintage watches and trying to learn as much as I can about them. I don't have any specific reason to doubt the authenticity of this watch, although I don't think the crystal is original - no little omega symbol. But I'd be very curious to hear what more experienced people think about it. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Here are some pics:

seamaster1.jpg seamaster2.jpg image1.JPG image2.JPG

Edited Apr 29, 2015
    tamura likes this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 29, 2015

Hello..
    It is a nice watch and reliable too. The hands were relumed at sometime in the past and are you sure the movement was serviced and well lubricated?
    I have one like yours and the inside look like this

6062577883_e1058cc468.jpg omega_image.1733486.jpg

3. brr1980 Apr 29, 2015

Thanks! I bought it from a shop with a good reputation, he said it had just been serviced and guaranteed it for a year. Thanks for posting the pic of the movement. I don't have the tools to open up the back (and I don't really want to try for fear of messing it up) but maybe I'll ask someone at the shop to let me have a look.

4. j.allen Apr 29, 2015

What a lovely piece to start your collection. All it takes is one piece with teeth to bite you and the lust transforms into obsession. I'm not sure I agree with the previous member's assessment- I think the lume on the hands is original. As far as an original crystal goes, I'm not sure it's important. Some may beg to differ, but not on these lower end Omegas. To tell the truth you would have a hard time discerning between an original crystal and an aftermarket.

Interestingly, I recently purchased a generic Seamaster crystal, but it actually came with the logo in the center of the crystal. Very strange. Anyways a generic will set you back about 10 usd, and an OEM Omega closer to 40 usd. These fees are higher if somebody has to install it.

5. brr1980 Apr 29, 2015

Thanks! I've definitely been bitten... Its amazing how many rabbit holes there are in every direction now that I'm looking into it...

Just curious, what makes you think the lume is original vs redone? I have no idea how to tell.

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Apr 29, 2015

Welcome to the forum. The lume is almost pristine. The dial would originally have had tritium luminescence which degrades over time to a dull pinky grey. The hands are correct for this model

These 30 mm hand-winds are practically bullet proof and enjoy a great reputation.

Cheers

Desmond

7. jonatutu Apr 30, 2015

Hello can you share with me where you procure a generic omega crystal? Is there a crystal for c shape constellation??