Forums Latest Members
  1. Caus2929 Feb 2, 2019

A week ago I finally bought my first Speedmaster but that was not my first Omega.
    The story of my first omega goes back in 1975 when my grandfather received a gold plated Omega Geneve automatic for 25 years of work in the company. As for much, I found out he was wearing the watch daily to work and daily chores around the house until his death in 1988.
    In 1991 the war started in Bosnia and this watch was one of only a couple of things that were saved from the house before it was burned down.
    Two years back I was visiting my uncle and he asked what happened to an Omikron watch that was also my grandfathers. I told him that after my father gave it to me I got it serviced and wore it from time to time. He asked if I was interested in a trade and puled the omega from a drawer. The omega was pretty destroyed and it did not work. I jumped at the opportunity and risked to own a watch that would not work as I did not know what problems it had.
    After I brought it to my watchmaker who told me that there was no damage but the crown, crown shaft, and case had to be replaced. I think that the second hand was replaced but I am not sure. As he did not have the parts I went on the hunt for parts on the net and after half a year I found an SS case in Spain and a crown and a crown shaft in Poland.

Watch is now serviced and it works really well. It is not original parts but I like it this way that I could save as much as I could and hope to pass it to my kid with this story one day.

IMG_20190202_180442.jpg IMG_20190202_180450.jpg IMG_20190202_180501.jpg IMG_20190202_180512.jpg IMG_20190202_180523.jpg
    Rochete, Hamish02, kyu and 2 others like this.
  2. ext1 Feb 2, 2019

Very nice history! It's really cool to see the amount of work you put into getting this back up to shape. I have some Bosnian friends so I know a bit about the war - so for me, it's even cooler that it survived such a time.

superfly likes this.