Forums Latest Members
  1. mollydooker Jun 3, 2017

Even though I had been buying old non working watches and repairing them for a couple of years my eagerness to obtain an Omega misted my eyes when it came to purchasing. It had to be a 601 as I read somewhere it was one of the last wholly designed Omega cals. To this day I am not sure if that is true but anyway I saw this Geneve won it for $230 . WOW it even had a signed crystal,what a great deal.
    When it arrived it went for a week and stopped . On opening it I read inside the back case but it still did not click with me that it started as gold plated. It was also pointed out later that the lugs had been widened to take a wider band. The movement required a service and new mainspring which I did . It is now as accurate as an Omega should be and I have become quite fond of it even though I am on the look out for a proper case and new hands. The seller was quite willing to take it back but I decided to keep it for a much reduced price as a reminder to always seek the experts advice. One can see the gold on the inside of the case.

IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1363.JPG
    GuiltyBoomerang and wsfarrell like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2017

People have done far worse for far more money! I think you didn't embarrass yourself with that purchase, and it's an honest piece. Don't beat yourself up!

I don't think it was widened I think it had a poorly fitting bracelet at some point that wore the lugs. There are some custom strap makers that can go .25 or .5 larger at the lugs and you'll not see it any more.

Imagine that watch on a well worn soft dark brown leather bund strap!!! Gives you an excuse to wear the heck out of it to make the strap perfectly worn in! I would recommend Shell Cordovan leather! like this one
    480_RX1007-BUNDXLMINI-8SM.jpg

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=333765
    check this link for a perfect custom made one from a member here @jankoxxx . You can message him by clicking on his name!

Edited Jun 4, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang and chanbar like this.
  3. mollydooker Jun 4, 2017

Whoa, I did not know what a bund strap was til looked it up .
    I need a few of them. Thanks

4. wsfarrell Jun 4, 2017

Nice-looking watch; clean-looking movement.

5. mollydooker Jun 4, 2017

Thanks

6. mollydooker Jun 4, 2017

Hey ,Stop it already. . That's looks fantastic.

7. Mothra Jun 4, 2017

8. Wryfox Jun 4, 2017

You don't have to be a stickler for originality . You got a vintage Omega , attractive and running well for ~$200(sounds like maybe less ). Leave it alone , it looks great, and its different . You'll be more proud to wear it as a bargain than to put more $ in and make it original . My 0.02.

Fritz and Vitezi like this.
  9. mollydooker Jun 4, 2017

I checked out the replating post applaud you for doing it. I have previously looked at replating other cases but I reckon I would stuff it up. Think I might try a bund band or two before I plunge into replating.
    FWIW as a novice in repairing /servicing old watches as a hobby I have done around 40 manual winds including esa ,AS, roamer,felsa,Lemania ,tissot781 and derivatives and without any doubt the Omega 601 was the easiest. I put it down to the solid ,crisp engineering of each piece. Everything meshed and seated easily .Even the hands went back on without drama and boy have some given me drama.. The balance assembly seated first go . I did not have to touch the regulator just two winds and away she went keeping perfect time.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. mollydooker Jun 4, 2017

You comments make sense Wryfox

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 4, 2017

I agree about the 601, it's a beautiful little movement and you have a nice one there.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything more to the case. It's been polished to death and plating will only accentuate the polishing. As suggested, a nice strap and just enjoy it.

mollydooker likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 5, 2017

mollydooker likes this.
  13. j.allen Jun 5, 2017

It looks like the lugs have been nearly polished off. There may have been a metal strap that wore them away. I have a few 600 series and they are a pleasure to work on. I love your watch. People will often shave off a bit of a band that is too wide. I've never seen the lugs altered.

mollydooker likes this.